Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does anyone remember BOSCO?

• 01-03-2004 7:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭

Remember the little puppet with da red cheecks and red hair and girly little voice that said "Hello Boys and Girls!! :) " This little guy was my hero when i was a little tot. :D I remember racin to the T.V when ever i heard the theme for the show!! :D I remember my lil bro cryin when he found out he got "kidnapped" :( .

Bosco? 36 votes

Love?
    0% 0 votes
    Like?
    58% 21 votes
    Hate?
    27% 10 votes
    Thank God he's gone!
    13% 5 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Ah, good ol' Bosco, used to be my idol as a little kid, don't think I ever missed a show. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Auburn

He used to scare the bejaysus outta me with the big squeaky voice!!
    I couldn't ever figure out why he had a girl's voice but was meant to be a boy. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

The giraffes that told tongue twisters were so funny.

Bring back Bosco!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

Bosco irritated the BEJAYSUS out of me. The best thing about Bosco was when the UCD students kidnapped the puppet & held it to ransom.

No such thing as bad publicity eh?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, I watched it as a kid, not that I had much choice with only 2 TV channels! If I had the amount of channels I have now, I dont think I'd have seen an episode! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭littleninja

Yeah I used to watch Bosco, I'd race in from school JUST to see it (ah the memories!) my cousin actually sat on the box that was Bosco's home for some thing that was gonna be televised that was recorded in the same studio that Bosco was recorded in... I think she was surprised at how big the box was!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Originally posted by littleninja
    Yeah I used to watch Bosco, I'd race in from school JUST to see it (ah the memories!) my cousin actually sat on the box that was Bosco's home for some thing that was gonna be televised that was recorded in the same studio that Bosco was recorded in... I think she was surprised at how big the box was!!!

Had to do a search but I knew I read that somewhere before. I thought I was going crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭littleninja

Originally posted by Exit
    Had to do a search but I knew I read that somewhere before. I thought I was going crazy.

Yeah, I did have the feeling of deja vu when I was typing that out, I just couldn't be bothered trying to remember where I had posted it before, nor did I care that I might be repeating myself tbh but hey these things happen now and again!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by Ste-
    The giraffes that told tongue twisters were so funny.

giraffes? were they not aliens that spoke faste rand with a higher pitch as they went on

anywho Bosco rocked when i a small lad (saw him live too :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

My Aunt was Barbra from Bosco

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I was brought to see him live as well. Disturbing show if I remember correctly - after all Bosco only lived in the telly until then :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Yes ... unfortunately!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭dazberry

Originally posted by BuffyBot
    I was brought to see him live as well. Disturbing show if I remember correctly - after all Bosco only lived in the telly until then :O

I had the misfortune at the tender age of 17 to work in a toy shop (now gone) in a department store in town (Dublin) for a summer. They had 2 shows per day during the week, one being BOSCO - which happened to be on my lunch hour so I never saw it :D.

All the other staff used to be driven demented by this, seriously. Then one day, for some reason BOSCO was on twice, so I got to see it - and it was a serious mind fook, I suddenly appreciated everyone else's pain.

The funny thing, the kids at it (circa 4 - 6 y/o) actually had a little riot they got so excited. They started shaking the big box/stage thing (like a Punch and Judy one) and for one moment I thought it was going to fall over. Anyway Bosco disappeared and refused to come out until they sat down. These kids were seriously over stimulated.

And even funnier is that this was 15 years ago, so I'm wondering any of you now 20ish year olds every get involved in a riot in Arnotts one summer in 1989 ????

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    giraffes? were they not aliens that spoke faste rand with a higher pitch as they went on

My memory is a bit sketchy to say the least.
    They might well have been aliens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Doc
    My Aunt was Barbra from Bosco
    Oh that's interesting. What's she up to these days?

And yeah, I think they were some kind of wacky alien things in the tongue twisters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My gf was never allowed watch Bosco because her Mum thought he had a harsh (i.e. scumbag) Dublin accent. :D

I think it's hilarious. She hates that I mention it every time the subject of Bosco comes up. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Even as a toddler, I could tell that going through 'the magic door' was completely crap CG :)
    I don't think anyone really believed Bosco was a living entity either... what a waste of time.
    What an utterly boring show... I much prefered to watch cartoons than crappy puppet shows.
    Same thing with DJ Kat from the old days of Sky1.... only ever watched it to see Ninja Turtles.
    Now if bosco had shown GI Joe once in a while, I'd have been an avid watcher :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

the magic door. a portal from donneybrook to dublin zoo. maybe they should run a luas line through it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Even as a toddler, I could tell that going through 'the magic door' was completely crap CG

I think every kid in Ireland could tell that, it was so crap ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by our man in moscow
    the magic door. a portal from donneybrook to dublin zoo. maybe they should run a luas line through it.

thats brilliant :D:D:p:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

Originally posted by SantaHoe
    Even as a toddler, I could tell that going through 'the magic door' was completely crap CG :)

- man oh man the memories are flooding back! Knock knock, open wide, come with me to the other side - Knock Knock, anymore, come with me thru the absolutely brutal door!

Uafasach, Marian!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

ah good old bosco, everyday he went to the zoo.
    "get a grown up to help you with the scissors."

The reason he isnt on anymore is somebody robbed him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Chucky

What were the potatoes in the supermarket called? do you remember them? Favourite part of the show definately. And cheers for mentioning the giraffess - also brilliant!

Originally posted by Chucky
    What were the potatoes in the supermarket called? do you remember them?

Sheamus and Sheila McSpud in SaversSupermarket.

"ruff" said flaherty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Agent7249

I loved bosco, wasted away my days as a toddler actually waitin for it to come on, plus I was easily entertained by it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Seamie

Originally posted by Healio
    ah good old bosco, everyday he went to the zoo.
    /B]

I distinctly remember him going to a dairy once. It showed the milk being put into the bottles... Highly dramatic stuff altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I only remember it either going to the zoo or some feckin bottling plant...

Did it ever go anywhere else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Originally posted by monkeyfudge
    I only remember it either going to the zoo or some feckin bottling plant...

Did it ever go anywhere else?

Any ice pop factory, I'm sure they were making Brunches too !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

he also went to a building site, a sasuage factory, a biscuit factory

• Advertisement

bosco only went to the zoo or to a school to speak to kids. frank, marion and the lads went to every other place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Seamie

I met Frank once when I was about 6 in a hotel in Wexford. He was a total ass and refused point blank to speak to any of us kids. I was gutted...:(

why does/did Bosco have such red cheeks??

~Wouldnt you if you had a hand stuffed up ur arse

Ah found a video there yesterday had a whole day of dempsy's den on it and a whole episode of bosco, you have to love that theme music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭avatar

bosco.. i haven't thought of that show in years... and there's a reason for that....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭evie

Flaherty was the best dog ever! And he was the only entertaining part on that show. Wasn't there a really dumb crow? Flaherty was always sleeping, but always knew what was going on, go Flaherty!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭The jock

Do any of you all know why bosco was stopped from been shown on tv.
    well i do.the bosco doll was kidnapped out of the r.t.e studios.the kidnapper asked for a ransom but r.t.e didnt want to pay it.they said this because they thought that there would be plenty more bosco dolls,but where they wrong.there was only very feq bosco dolls made and rte could not find any of them.how do i know this?mainly because i know the person who kidnapped bosco.he robbed bosco because he hated the show.strange but very true.i bet none of you knew that, now did ye.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by The jock
    Do any of you all know why bosco was stopped from been shown on tv.
    well i do.the bosco doll was kidnapped out of the r.t.e studios.the kidnapper asked for a ransom but r.t.e didnt want to pay it.they said this because they thought that there would be plenty more bosco dolls,but where they wrong.there was only very feq bosco dolls made and rte could not find any of them.how do i know this?mainly because i know the person who kidnapped bosco.he robbed bosco because he hated the show.strange but very true.i bet none of you knew that, now did ye.

well it is actually mentioned about three times earlier in the thread there mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

I loved bosco, wasted away my days as a toddler actually waitin for it to come on, plus I was easily entertained by it

More the Wanderly Wagon generation myself, Bosco was a few years too late for me

I once saw Marion Richardson on the DART. She looked mightily p|ssed off for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Beer Baron

Wasn't there a really dumb crow?

Cornelious was a criminal mastermind I'll have you know.
    Jesus that was demented stuff in fairness. I have henceforth given up on blaming the government for all our woes and henceforth hold Bosco, Marion, Frank, Cornelious, Grainne Grannóg and all those other demented characters accountable for absolutly ruining the country and driving me, and others like me, to using drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Bosco! Ah the memories from back in the day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

"Knock knock, open wide, come with me to the other side
    Knock knock any more, see what's behind the magic door"
    "Oh look, it's a closet, and Frank's inside"
    "NO, CLOSE THE DOOR!!"

Ah Frank, what an ass. I remember some friends of mine collecting for charity before and calling to his house only to have him freak out. They then went across the road and he started shouting out his window "I can still see you!" :)

Anyway, I thought Bosco and Frank and that other one were boring as hell, but I loved the other characters like the Tongue Twisters (just for the necks), Flaherty and the Spuds when I was a kid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Bosco on DVD would be great

probably never happen though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Originally posted by Stark
    "Knock knock, open wide, come with me to the other side
    Knock knock any more, see what's behind the magic door"

Wasn't it "Knock knock, open wide, see what's on the other side. Knock knock any more, come with me through the Magic Door" and so on.
    Ahh crap, I can't believe I remember this. But go Flaherty, he ruled.
    Did I hear somewhere that Frank is now on Bull Island, or was that just bullsh^h^h something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭the cat

Bosco was a legend but that stupid red door thing annoyed me:mad: it was just so boring, wildlife or something i cant remember

Advertisement