Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Snared for tax

Options
  • 01-03-2004 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭

Got caught at a checkpoint the other night with no tax on my car. I actually have never taxed it since i bought it last april. Just never had the money. What do you reckon will happen? court? fine?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

I presume the car was taken off you...

If you want to get it back it costs about E135 and E30 for every day the Gardai have it. (once you provide information that you have paid the back tax and taxed it for the minimum 3 months)

And yes you will probably receive a summons to go to court and explain to a judge why you had no tax.

I pay E460 odd a year to tax mine... What makes you so special that you dont have to pay it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Court, probably. Fine, definitely.

You've not been driving around uninsured as well have you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭XbLaDe

Probably a fine depending on the guard

Your liable for all costs since April unless u can prove the car wasnt in use. Not really useful info tho as you have to get a form to claim non-use stamped by a Guard

how ironic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Armadillo

You deserves what you gets. Seeing as you weren't contributing to the building\repair\upgrade of the highways and byways - i would say one days hard labour for every month untaxed on a chain gang filling in potholes. Another easier option is back-tax and show some remorse. If you can't afford something don't buy it. Hows the laptop repair business doing? You may have to delay that trip to Scotland for Paddy's day? Tax - even though we don't agree with it - is part of life...
    :dunno:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Originally posted by pclancy
    Got caught at a checkpoint the other night with no tax on my car. I actually have never taxed it since i bought it last april.
    Pity you weren't caught sooner!
    Just never had the money.
    Are we meant to feel sorry for you?
    What do you reckon will happen? court? fine?
    Hopefully both!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

Seeing as you weren't contributing to the building\repair\upgrade of the highways and byways

Dodger,
    Looking at conditions of the roads, tax money definitely goes somewhere else.

Anyway,

Pclancy you can try o back tax your car and go and produce you current insurance with tax disk at your local garda station

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

Originally posted by Gmodified

It does. It all goes to the Central Govt. Fund (or something like that) and is redistributed to each county according to need (not just for roads, for anything).

Your motor tax money is probably fixing up roads for the tourists in the West or something :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Andrew Duffy

Combination of motor tax, VRT and fuel duty in-or-around covers the cost of the NRA budget plus the local government allocations for road maintenance. Motor tax and VRT are heavily biased away from commercial vehicles, even though they cause virtually all of the damage to the roads, and most of the need for high-grade roads in the first place. The level of private traffic on most of our national routes does not require motorways; grade-seperated single carriageways with centre barriers and alternating overtaking lanes like you find in Europe would do the job fine. All the goods traffic should be on the railways where tyres falling off and killing people isn't a possibility.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Nice to see prejudice alive and well in Ireland.

Is the gap between rich and poor now so big here, that nobody can possibly understand how someone simply wouldn't have the money for car tax?

"I got five kids to feed!".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Originally posted by spockety
    Nice to see prejudice alive and well in Ireland.

Is the gap between rich and poor now so big here, that nobody can possibly understand how someone simply wouldn't have the money for car tax?

"I got five kids to feed!".

you are forgetting that they had money for a car - insurance + petrol - so there is no point in argueing that they could not factor in money for tax

I can understand how someone would not have the money - but then that should of tought about that before buying a car - this is someone taking a chance - and they got caught - simple as that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Theres many people like this lacky...

Ill bet they (and probably you) dont all stay in most weekends and give up beer etc until you can clear your bills, or indeed bring homemade lunched to work and struggle to stay away from the shop cos they cant afford to spend it....

I look at my oldish trainers and cringe.... then i gaze lovingly at my freshly washed and waxed (bog standard) punto and its shiney tax and insurance discs and remember why my feet smell.

Not saying your one, but Ive seen many with no tax who have souped up cars with all sorts of crap tacked onto them, yet think theyre dead hard by avoiding tax and insurance.

:rolleyes: all this and I can afford to tax mine, albeit for only 3 months at a time.

sorry mate, my heart would bleed except your getting away with something that everyone yes E V E R Y O N E else has to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,376 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by spockety

Don't be ridiculous. That someone could have just not bought a car, or bought a cheaper one or drive only the most necessary trips or have a few pints less in the pub. I pay €1343 motor tax per year just because of these chancers :mad:

"I don't have the money" is a non-argument

A full payment of back taxes plus a severe fine would be appropriate + 4 penalty points and the release charge payable to the Gardai. Note this should only be applicable to cars >3 months out of tax

I pay €1343 motor tax per year just because of these chancers

it's not like you actually have to pay more because some other people don't pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

it's not like you actually have to pay more because some other people don't pay it.

I think the one thing that the Flood/Mahon tribunals have established is that when some people evade tax, the others must have to make up the difference.

What other way can this work???

I think the one thing that the Flood/Mahon tribunals have established is that when some people evade tax, the others must have to make up the difference

Well money have to come from somewhere but I will be more worried about some peoples tax returns then some dude's unpaid motor tax.

how you justify 49 euro road tax for taxi . Do we pay the difference too?

Tax should be calculated into the petrol. It will catch everybody including foreign cars/tourist etc.

you have bigger engine or do more milage you simply pay more.

Originally posted by Borzoi
    when some people evade tax, the others must have to make up the difference.

That is exactly where I was coming from
    Tax should be calculated into the petrol. It will catch everybody including foreign cars/tourist etc.

you have bigger engine or do more milage you simply pay more.

Couldn't agree more. Polluter pays. Furthermore this is not to difficult to implement as tax/duties on petrol/diesel are very low in Ireland. My quick estimate is that both need to go up by about €0.15 per liter to finance abolishing motor tax, still leaving it about €0.15 below the most expensive countries in the EU (UK, Italy, Netherlands)

This would be a very green measure as it would discourage people from doing unnecessary miles. Also taxi's wouldn't be subsidised any more by private car owners :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

where does responibility for back taxing begin?

I just bought a car and the tax is a few months out but the previous owner continued to drive it.

am I right to assume that my tax responsiblity starts from the date I bought the car?

Just wondering, heven't got the VLC back yet.

John

Originally posted by JohnBoy
    where does responibility for back taxing begin?

I just bought a car and the tax is a few months out but the previous owner continued to drive it.

Afaik from the first day of the calendar month of the change of ownership date on the VLC. That was what I was liable for when I got my last car even though it was out of tax by another month or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Michelangelo

Got caught at a checkpoint the other night with no tax on my car. I actually have never taxed it since i bought it last april. Just never had the money. What do you reckon will happen? court? fine?

You're mad.:rolleyes:

Just never had the money.

That is very economical with the truth. You just never wanted to spend your money on tax :mad:
    I do have the best mod i've ever bought tho! Rockford Fosgate MP3 headunit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭jackal

Jebus,
    Get off your high horses lads, nobody has been killed. Why would you wish penalty points on someone for anything other than dangerous driving or no insurance?

I got nabbed for this, as I was working full time and could not get to the tax office. Nor did i think it was a matter of life or death!

Just go to the garda station with your tax paid and backdated and pay the fine. DONT try and avoid it, or you will end up in court. (This happened to me, but all the MINOR cases were stuck ou that day, and I got off scot-free - v lucky.)

Originally posted by jackal
    I got nabbed for this, as I was working full time and could not get to the tax office.

Most of us are working full time. You can send it in by post and now you can pay online which is a great improvement. Nobody wants to take a half day's holidays to sit in a queue for the privilige of paying tax

Originally posted by jackal
    Why would you wish penalty points on someone for anything other than dangerous driving or no insurance?

Fair point, I agree. Remark about penalty points withdrawn :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

I smell a troll!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Wasnt looking for sympathy, just was wondering what would happen from anyone who had got caught before. Dont believe im above the law, i know we've all got to pay tax and i dont excuse what i did. But I have paid tax on my other cars for about 5 years now and its not as if i dont have any other bills to pay. I just never got around to it. Yes. My Fault. Me Me Me Me Me. And yes i did miss weekends on the beer to save for it and to be honest i cant remember the last decent night out on the beer i had. Started my own business in april and have had NO money since then. (again not asking for sympathy). I pay insurance (€4400) and everythn else i just ****ed up with the tax side of things. The only good thing was the cop didnt take it off me. Dunno why, he probably couldnt be arsed with the paperwork.

All I was asking was what happens to you when you get caught so far out of date. I didnt ask to get flamed. I love boards to death but jesus i hate the way sometimes you cant ask a simple question without getting burned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Originally posted by unkel
    I do have the best mod i've ever bought tho! Rockford Fosgate MP3 headunit.

Friend of mine owns a car entertainment business. Swapped it for a DVD player i had if you must know.

I pay insurance (€4400)

That sucks - sorry you have to pay this enormous amount :(

You're still being defensive - it is just not justifiable in any way not to pay your motor tax. If all people that should pay tax, would pay tax, all the people that are already paying tax would pay less. It is as simple as that

You know you could have paid the tax
    I didnt ask to get flamed. I love boards to death but jesus i hate the way sometimes you cant ask a simple question without getting burned.

Sorry I wasn't out to give you a hard time and I feel I didn't flame you. I hope you understand where I'm coming from

You are very lucky to have got away with keeping your van. I know that the Gardai have gotten a lot stricter recently with people that are more than 3 months out of tax

If they take your vehicle, you'll have to cough up all back taxes and new taxes and holding fees in order for them to release it

Sort it out pronto and you'll be alright :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Dodger,

hehehe couldent have put it better myself ;)
    im paying road tax for nearly 9 years now and that would be equal to around €2628
    hmmm 2628.... thats about how many potholes ive "fallen" into driving for 9 years :(
    ahh the pleasures of driving in spain and up north its quality to drive without holding on for dear life ;)

later
    Macker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

But I have paid tax on my other cars for about 5 years now.
    Just for clarification, you mean your previous cars? That is, you're not complaining about not being able to afford tax on one vehicle while having extra vehicles sitting dormant outside your house.

Just to be clear

Advertisement