Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prob when send some emails

Options
  • 01-03-2004 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

I am using outlook that came with xp and some times when I send emails they get bounced back and I get this error msg "553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1)"
    Just wondering is this down to Outlook or my firewall (ZoneAlarm
    Thks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭ando

try sending your email through 'mail1.eircom.net' (outgoing smtp email server)

just write down your current one first as a backup measure

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Sounds like your hosts file has been edited either by Zone Alarm or some spyware apps(spybot etc.)

To fix,

1) Locate hosts file
    Windows 95/98/Me c:\windows\hosts
    Windows NT/2000/XP Pro c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    Windows XP Home c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

make a backup of the current hosts file(rename it to hosts.bak"

2) delete the existing hosts file

should do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

This is usually a problem when you are dialled into an ISP that is not your email host (e.g. you dial into, say IOL but use eircom.net as your email host). The email host will only allow mails to be relayed through it that are accessed through a dial-in from it's own ISP.

So, if you are using eircom.net as your email host, dial in using Eircom as an ISP (or the equivalent for your email host). This should solve the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Lads as always thanks for the great response,bazH you were spot on deleting the host file seems to have done the trick.I am doing a full system scan at the mo with NAV 04 but more than likely it will not pick up anything,is there a particular bit of software I should download to check for spyware?
    Thks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I meant that you prolly have some spyware blocking apps. Sounds safe enough. The hosts file is just a mthod of blocking unwated stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

this error is nae bother, it's a simple authentification problem, but it's easily solved

press send/receive and when you get the error just clear it and press send receive again and it will go and work no problem ,

pm me if you want all the details about this error and how authentification works over smtp but to be honest just press the button twice , it's the easy option for lazy people , and laziness is good

Hope this helps

Fionn

Too lazy to spellcheck

Advertisement