Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damien Rice.......o?

• 01-03-2004 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭

Have been a massive fan of Damo's since 2002. Went to his gig in the Olympia and was pretty amazing too, especially the unplugged bit and the cheers darlin' skit!

IMO he could become huge and is as good as Buckley or anyone in my opinion.

I'd support him as the acoustic voice for our generation, anyone with me!?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

No.

While some of his stuff is ok - I would balk at the idea of labelling him the voice of this or any other generation. In fact I think that title is rather stupid when applied to anybody.

On a brighter note - fair play to him for doing so well. A few years ago he and all his gear were crammed into a car, gigging around Ireland with a dude I know. He's come a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

Ok maybe 'voice of a generation' is a bit of an overstatement but 'o' is one of the finest albums i have heard in years and I listen to a lot of music.

I just think that he has the talent, the work ethic, the genuinity and the charisma to become as successful as anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

i heard "O" and i thought it was pretty good
    not a perfect album or anything
    just, very good
    and i had a listen to one of his singles

i prefer his new songs like
    "woman like a man"

'Woman like a man' is actually an old juniper(bellx1) song that has been made more acoustic, is not new.

But I agree it's a fantastic song and should have been on the album, same goes for 'The Proffessor'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

Good Stuff he.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ll=llannah

i wish the professor had been on o, it's one of my favorites of his.
    i think he's excellent. a voice of a generation, not really, but damned good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭The Phenom

Damien Rice yeah he's brilliant. My favorite song on O is delicate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

i think he's faaaantastic

voice of our generation he is NOT

yet anyway

O could have been a ridiculously good album if he included face, woman like a man, the professor and did volcano the proper way he used to when he started on his own! Before the album came out the recording i had of it was one of my top 3 favorite songs! the album version ruins it!

Also some differentiation in the production from track to track, this could have been world conquering

still pretty amazing

when someone asks me what kinda music im into

i say currently Damien Rice, snow patrol

all time Stone Roses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭turnback

i think he's very boring -soundwise i mean
    dry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

He has potential and I hope his hard work pays off cos he tours like a bastard. O was far from great. He is not even in the same universe as Buckley.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭eggshapedfred

tried listening to 'o' again the other day. still can't get all the way through it. have to keep turning it off. sounds too much like the frames, imo. too many bands these days sound like the frames...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭The Weatherman

Originally posted by turnback
    i think he's very boring -soundwise i mean
    dry

i'd disagree with that totally. judging by his vocal range and his guitar skill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭isthisit

i think he's brillant. the best irish artist in a long time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 curtismayfield

You'd probably come up with a different opinion of him if you read this month's live review of his Vicar St gig in Q magazine. The gig gets a good rating - I don't have much time for him but I think the opera-type tune on O is ok (hate the Blower's Daughter (is that what it's called?))- but the torrent rubbish that spews forth from the man's mouth is breath-taking. It actually has to be read to be believed.

Prefer BellX1 myself. Saw them support Elliott Smith in the RedBox 3 years ago and they were very good.

"but the torrent rubbish that spews forth from the man's mouth is breath-taking"

Is this in reference to the music???
    If not it's just torrent rubbish that shouldn't be on the thread and is certainly not a reason for not liking his music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

I think the album kicks ass. He's one of my favourite artists.
    I've been going to Damo gigs for years (used to go to pretty much all of 'em) and I think you have to see him live to see what he's really about!!.. Not mad about the production on the album tho (volume/bass all over the place.. or is it just me??)..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Originally posted by Dr Pepper
    I think the album kicks ass. He's one of my favourite artists.
    I've been going to Damo gigs for years (used to go to pretty much all of 'em) and I think you have to see him live to see what he's really about!!.. Not mad about the production on the album tho (volume/bass all over the place.. or is it just me??)..

this above could have jusat as easily said by me!

Iv been t0 gigs 4 years from juniper to dodi ma to witnness too

and YES production is CRAP on the album on almost all tracks!!

remember the way volcano used to sound solo?? -one of my favorite songs by anyone and then the album came out and i was just like WHAT THE F*** IS THAT!!!

i think i said all this above actually

sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭ella minnow pea

Originally posted by curtismayfield
    You'd probably come up with a different opinion of him if you read this month's live review of his Vicar St gig in Q magazine.

agreed. he doesn't have much respect for his audience i think - talking about fans singing along he said "it's a bit like a fart in the tube - not pleasant but nothing you can do about it." or words to that effect. Quite arrogant IMO, his music is good but i don't think he has the same connection with his audience and listeners that makes eg. Damien Dempsey gigs so good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Hmmm... I must have a gander at this article ya'll talkin about..

Advertisement