Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scappaticci bugged - IRA & Adams/ McGuinness

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

OK it is in the forum charter that any links need to have your opinion in the post as well.

Please provide your opinion on this post or I'll transfer it into the recycle bin.

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Theres a typo in the website named in the sunday life article. The direct link to the page in question is here

just downloading it now..should be interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭stuartfanning

I guess it's of interest as it's another nail in the coffin of the by rote denials of both Adams and McGuinness that they are ongoing members of the IRA's Army Council. Nobody believes them but they persist in the fiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

McGuiness says he was, he doesn't deny that, he stated that at the Bloody Sunday Tribunal.

This interview was made in in 1993, is he telling the truth?? Who knows.

Originally posted by irish1
    McGuiness says he was, he doesn't deny that, he stated that at the Bloody Sunday Tribunal.

This interview was made in in 1993, is he telling the truth?? Who knows.
    McGuinness has admitted membership of the IRA but has never admitted to being on the Army Council, I believe. Adams has never admitted to ever being a member of the IRA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Originally posted by stuartfanning
    Adams has never admitted to ever being a member of the IRA.
    Oh yes he has:
    http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=39&si=1136823&issue_id=10519
    It was reliably learned afterwards that Mr Ahern's remarks relate to references in a book written by prominent TV journalist Peter Taylor in 1997.

The book said: "In his column the following week, Adams admitted IRA membership. It was the one and only time he has done so. He was recounting a conversation he had recently had with a visiting priest. Adams had defended the use of force, saying it was not a role the IRA chose or welcomed but one that had been forced upon it. 'I tried to explain it all like this,' he wrote.

"'Rightly or wrongly, I am an IRA volunteer and, rightly or wrongly, I take a course of action as a means to bringing about a situation in which I believe the people of my country will prosper . . . The course I take involves the use of physical force but only if I achieve the situation where my people can genuinely prosper can my course of action be seen by me as to have been justified . . . I cannot complain if I am hurt, if I am killed or if I am imprisoned. I must consider these things as possible and probable eventualities . . . I have no one to blame but myself'."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Very interesting listening. You would have to ask yourself what his motives would be in doing this. What a paranoid affair that level of involvement must have brought with it:ninja:

See the link below. The recording was made by a Producer for The Cook Report. This Producer has now asked the website to stop making the tape available.

http://cryptome.org/scappaticci.htm

Seems Adams actually does continue to insist he never was a member of the IRA. See the article in the link below...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2091-1028783,00.html

Advertisement