Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netopia Cayman 3300 series

• 01-03-2004 11:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭

I have this dsl modem for my pc. I heard on this board that it's also a router??

Anyway, getting a new Dell for upstairs and I want to share the broadband wirelessly. Dell are offering the following with their pc's;

Dell™ TrueMobile™ USB Wireless Adapter (+EUR 40.00)
    Dell™ TrueMobile™ 2300 Wireless Router (+EUR 120.00)

Can anybody tell me what I actually need for the new pc ?

Thanks,

Mick

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

There are a couple of versions of this modem one has a usb and an ethernet connection the other has a built in four port hub. they both support NAT and so can assign internal IP addresses to computers on your lan. If you want to go wireless you are going to need a wireless access point. I assume your other PC is connected by cable to your modem and if your netopia has only one connection then you're going to need an additional hub or router to connect your wireless access point and also any other computers. What I would recomend is that you get an ethernet router with a built in wireless access point. The one I use is the Netgrear FR114W firewall router which has four ethernet connections plus wireless with a built in true firewall that particular one needs a pcmcia wireless network card to get wireless but you can get them with them built in.
    The way I have it all set up is My DSL modem assigns an IP address through Dchp to my router/firewall and forwards all ports to it. the router then in turn assigns IP addresses to all pc's which are connected to it thats three pc's on wired LAN and a laptop which connects wirelessly it all works well and Internet access and file sharing is no problem.

Good Luck setting it up

Advertisement