Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving school now + doing LC

Options
  • 02-03-2004 12:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi guys
    just wondering if I left school now could I still do the LC exams in June (I have registered) provided I'll have missed over 60 days of 6th year
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Yeah you can still sit the exams but would there be much point sitting the exams if you've missed so much school? You'd need to seriously hit the books!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

If you leave now, you'll only end of barely passing your exams, if even. You probably havn't even finished the course in several subjects!

If you were to leave, you might say to yourself: "Ah, i'll study later, i have loads of time", but the thing is, theres no substitute for actually going to class. All i can say is, its a bad move.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Originally posted by substr
    Hi guys
    just wondering if I left school now could I still do the LC exams in June (I have registered) provided I'll have missed over 60 days of 6th year
    Thanks

your better off stayin til easter then droppin out cos the last few weeks are the real waste of time. as far as i know you should clear it with your school first because the welfare officer mite get a sniffof your absence, and then slap a fine on your parents.

Originally posted by Healio
    the welfare officer mite get a sniffof your absence, and then slap a fine on your parents.

Even if you're over 16?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Barbie_666

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    If you leave now, you'll only end of barely passing your exams, if even. You probably havn't even finished the course in several subjects!

If you were to leave, you might say to yourself: "Ah, i'll study later, i have loads of time", but the thing is, theres no substitute for actually going to class. All i can say is, its a bad move.

OMG!!!you soooo sound like my teachers....:mad:

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Barbie_666
    OMG!!!you soooo sound like my teachers....:mad:

But he's entirely correct, and so are your teachers.

yeah...suppose so...hey, im wrecked tired, and got mocks 2moro...(english II and art history).nite-nite.
    xxx

Originally posted by Barbie_666
    yeah...suppose so...hey, im wrecked tired, and got mocks 2moro...(english II and art history).nite-nite.
    xxx

Night, good luck!

thanx!
    xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Originally posted by eth0_
    Even if you're over 16?

well a girl in my class register to sit the leaving and paid for it and then said see ya's in june, then she came in for the mox and she had got a visit off the welfare officer, she cant miss a day now cos he keepin watch, she effectively f'cked it up for all of us now!!

• Advertisement

Wow that's interesting, I didn't think they could do anything once you're over 16 as you're legally an adult

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

At 16 you are not legally an adult, very simply!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

At 16 you can legally have sex and get married, but you are definately not an adult (legally or otherwise)....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Originally posted by DMT
    At 16 you can legally have sex and get married, but you are definately not an adult (legally or otherwise)....

Think it's 17 for sex and 16 for marriage with parents' consent or something like that. Not too sure btw.

Btw legally and constitutionaly you're not an adult until 18.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

From: http://www.oasis.gov.ie/health/womens_health/family_planning_services.html?search=%22age+of+consent%22

"There is no set minimum age in Ireland at which contraceptive advice and prescriptions may be provided. The age of consent to sexual activity is 17 and it may be a criminal offence to have sex with a person under the age of 17. This means that providers of contraceptive services are entitled to refuse to provide those services to people under 17. In general the age of consent for health services purposes is 16. There is no doubt that services may not be refused to adults - that is, anyone aged 18 or over."

Ergo, married couples under the age of 17 cannot legally have sex...

Also
    Ages of Consent: http://www.avert.org/aofconsent.htm

Advertisement