Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL usage meter..yet again!

• 02-03-2004 10:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭

No one seems to be talking about this and so I can only presume one of two things:

1) It's not affecting anyone else (not the case, I know of one other person with the exact same problem)

2) It happens so often no one cares!

Since March my usage meter has been reset to zero for everything unless I click for 'Complete details', then I get the same summary as I did in Feb (ending Feb 10th).

I know I've been told it's not an excuse for exceeding the cap but how are we supposed to know? I'm not talking about attempting to justify a 15 gig monthly download by saying 'I had no idea what amount I was downloading!' But if this continues to be set to zero and I clock up 9 gig download (1 gig over the limit) I wonder what will happen?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

I think this is the 3rd time I have replied to this(others have too). All you have to do is call them and it will be reset within a few hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭chabsey

I have contacted them and they replied telling me they were aware of the problem, that's all. I presumed that they were probably waiting for February to end before resetting the tracker to zero.

Come March it's reset to zero but doesn't seem to be going up and the 'More details...' section just lists up until Feb 10th.

So, having contacted them and still being left in the dark, I wonder what my options are.

Edit. On a side note, if they do as you say and reset your tracker if it stops...then I wonder what happens if it stops mid-month when you're at 6-7 gig and it gets reset to zero. Do you have another 8 gig to mess with?

what ever cuts you off is not linked to whatever displays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Well maybe it should be linked.

I think you are fully in your rights to go over the limit, if they are providing misleading information on their site. It isn't a piece of third party software that is telling you your usage it's their system.

If it doesn't work then IOL should take it down until it's fixed. By keeping it up when they know there is a problem they are misleading the customer... Plain and simple, I don't think they could justify kicking you off... I mean how long has it been broken? 4 weeks?? 5 weeks??

I don't like IOL BB customer support. They are a bunch of ill mannered, low skilled monkey's. If you think I'm harsh then you should try getting problems resolved and wait in for the phone call back or the assured email.... Then you would feel exactly as I do.

Xcellor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭napalm@night

in da same boat! just wondering if you got charged for the extra gigs you downloaded?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by napalm@night
    in da same boat! just wondering if you got charged for the extra gigs you downloaded?
    No, dude you just get kicked off the service for the rest of the month:mad:.

If it wasn't Esat I would wonder how they can justify kicking you off when they give you no idea of how much you've actually downloaded.

However, seeing as it is Esat I can easily understand how they 'justify' it....they simply say:

'Please hold'

and then hang up 10 minutes later.

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    No, dude you just get kicked off the service for the rest of the month:mad:.

But has this happened anyone whose usage meter was cocked up (and could prove IOL had acknowledged it as a problem)?

You will not find anything in the TOC that specifies they have to inform you. There are plenty of tools that can you can do it yourself. If there was you would have a case.

In fact I don't trust the website thats why I track my own usage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭napalm@night

well i went past 9gig last month and nothn happend have gone over b4 and not bn charged but not by a gig so was jst a bit worried tkz!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by napalm@night
    well i went past 9gig last month and nothn happend have gone over b4 and not bn charged but not by a gig so was jst a bit worried tkz!
    It takes a while before you get knocked off.....I got 12Gb once before I got kicked off...if you have a router it can protect you for a little ( every 24 hours you get a new IP it plays havoc with BT:mad:, so a router means that only every 24 hours IOL is capable of checking what you downloaded ). I believe there is some leeway in terms of kicking you off - about 1-1.5GB.

Advertisement