Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A+ certfication

Options
  • 02-03-2004 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

Asked the same question on askaboutmoney.com, but wondering does anyone here have anything helpful to mention

I'm thinking about doing a thirteen week (one evening 3 hours) course with intentions of sitting the A+ exam, however this seems to me to a remarkably short time span to cram it all in.
    I've been assured by the instructor this will be sufficient.
    Anyone have any experiences worth a mention, obviously I don't expect miracles after a 39hour course, but would like it under my belt for the possibility of entering a position with some IT experience.
    Any links to what is involved in the A+ would be appreciated as although I've the basic knowledge(PC maintenance) and interest, I'm not too savvy or too sure what the course involves.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

the course is usually done over 5 days finishing with the exam at then end of the last day

13 weeks sounds very long to me......

there's not alot to learn really

maybe consider buying the book and doing it at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Emboss

maybe consider buying the book and doing it at home?

For something as hands on as A+ I know i'd rather have the hands on experience. This guy might have no pc building/repair experience.

But 13 weeks does sound a bit long.

Originally posted by eth0_
    For something as hands on as A+ I know i'd rather have the hands on experience. This guy might have no pc building/repair experience.

But 13 weeks does sound a bit long.

alot of places don't go through any hands on you litteraly pay for a tutor to read a book to you,

rasper if it's a FAS course and you get paid to do it, then i'd consider but if you're shelling out of your own pocket buying a second hand board/proc/ram

there's not alot to it really....

you don't need any hands on exp to actually pass the exam.

so if ypu're looking to get a foot in the door there is no need for 13 weeks listening to some pleb for 13 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Emboss

you don't need any hands on exp to actually pass the exam.

I never said you did, but my point is if I was presenting A+ to a prospective employer, I would definitely like to have had experience building/repairing/upgrading computers rather than just being book-smart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

I would suggest that you do what i did - get the books, exam prep guides, etc. It would help if you have an old machine to feck around with along with your current pc.

I would be very synical as regards courses - unless as somone has already stated, its a fás course. The private courses cost a small fortune. If you are commited and disciplined enough to go the self study route, i may be able to assist with regard to books, study guides if thats of interest. I completed A plus, Server plus and MCP a while back and the only costs i incurred were for the tests themselves.

The A plus is a great entry level cert and is useful regardless of whether you start working in a techie environment or not. I certainly enjoyed doing it and would recommend it to anyone starting out.
    As regards it getting you a job, it will certainly help but will not swing this for you without you having other merits eg. a real hands on knowledge of pc hardware.

Hope this helps and good luck.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by eth0_
    I never said you did, but my point is if I was presenting A+ to a prospective employer, I would definitely like to have had experience building/repairing/upgrading computers rather than just being book-smart.

I never said you said you did yada yada yada

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

The feedback I seem to be getting from all, seems to be really not to bother with it.
    I might be just better picking up an old pc myself, and tinkering around with it.
    I've got a book already and to be honest it all seems to make enough sense,
    probably until you try and put it in actions.
    Someone before mentioned an online course with Fas.net, anyone have any experience with this?
    The course itself would only last 39hours in total with as much as ten hours wasted I'd imagine , the distinct advantage from my perspective is that if you sign up for it at least you'll do it as opposed tp putting it off.

The feedback I seem to be getting from all, seems to be really not to bother with it.
    Run with it but dont do the course.

the distinct advantage from my perspective is that if you sign up for it at least you'll do it as opposed tp putting it off.
    Well, thats all down to your own discipline and self control. If you start to do it via self study and dont follow through, well then that would just suggest that your not fully commited to doing it.

A test can be booked on line via vue test centres of which there are quite a few in dublin and around ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Think I'll go with the DIY training, at least if I spend the money I'll have something
    to play about with. A secondhand pc I mean.

Eurorunner

What recommendations did you have for the books etc,
    I picked up Mark Minsa's "Complete pc upgrade and maintenance guide" which
    seems to be fairly comprehensive.
    Any others or exam guides that could help?

check your pm;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

I'm doing it a full day a week over 18 weeks at the NWIFHE in Derry, but we're getting it paid for us, including the courseware. I always considered myself computer-savvy, but I've learned an awful lot of stuff since it started, and it's great from a practical experience, because there are the live parts that you have to handle with care, but they have boxes of non-functional stuff that you can just pick up and look at til your heart's content.

We're using a set of Comptia-approved books by a company called ComputerPrep.

Advertisement