Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom, UTV, IOL Comparison table

• 02-03-2004 12:33pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I've updated and redesigned the IOFFL DSL comparison table with the latest details from the new products and I've added explanations of various terms in DSL.

I believe this is good resource for anyone comparing the different products or anyone new to Broadband.

You can find the table half way down the following page:
    IrelandOffLine DSL Broadband Comparison

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

good job bk very helpful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Hi,

Nice comparision page you got there.

One small correction though, in the "Download Speed" section you have MB where in fact it should be KB.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭greys

grand job, bk!

The only thing so far is this. It really is a confusing part. 512k is 64KB, not 64MB, the same goes for all the numbers in these 2 pagraphs:

Now comes the confusing part, most broadband products are advertised in
    bits, however when you actually download information from the internet
    the download speed is usually described in bytes (B). There are 8 bits
    in one byte, so a 1mb service is 128.5MB (notice the capital MB) and a
    512k service is 64MB.

I should point out that you nearly never reach these maximum speeds as
    they are only theoretical and many factors can influence it, typically
    you would get 50 - 55MB from a 512k/64MB service.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Thanks, greys and sirpsycho, I've fixed that now.

That is what you get for creating something like this at 3am in the morning and not previewing it properly first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

<a href="www.utvclicksilver.com">

You forgot the "http://&quot; :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Very good and useful table!

Not wishing to bring up a very much done to death thread but the IOL cap is not combined up and down. It's whichever hits the limit first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Also re the cap, the ISPs reserve the right not to charge you but to cut you off from service all together for the remainder of that month... (again, many threads here covered this to death)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

thanks BK this is much appreciated and should be a STICKY .

gb--

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭greys

I do apologies for the off-topic, but BigMoose, I can't find the thread where you covered the topic of 8gb being not the combined upload/download limit, but the whichever one hits first?

Does that mean that I have safe 7gb download + 7gb upload?

So far I was playing it safe, making sure my overall (upload+download) wouldn't go higher than 7.5gb a month.

Thanks a lot in advance!
    greys

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Any chance you could add Netsource to it? Or are you awaiting their new prices (or are you ignoring them given they've closed off residentail customers?)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by dlofnep
    <a href="www.utvclicksilver.com">

You forgot the "http://&quot; :)

Fixed, cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Nice work. One thing that struck me though. You say there's a charge for a static IP.

Why then am I getting phone messages from Paraic in Eircom asking me to confirm my address so he can assign me a static IP address, especially since I never asked for it.

Is it a sweetener to stay on the old price (€54.95) I wonder?

Originally posted by BigMoose
    Very good and useful table!

Not wishing to bring up a very much done to death thread but the IOL cap is not combined up and down. It's whichever hits the limit first.

Hi BigMoose, sorry I hadn't followed those threads, could you clarify this for me, it isn't clear from IOL's website.

Would 7GB down and 1GB up put you over the 8GB limit, which is what I assumed it was.

Cheers.

Originally posted by ixoy
    Any chance you could add Netsource to it? Or are you awaiting their new prices (or are you ignoring them given they've closed off residentail customers?)

Well I'm waiting for them to officially publish their new prices.

However I don't think I'll add them to this table, I plan on creating a new table for business products and I will add them to this.

Originally posted by Mountjoy Mugger
    Nice work. One thing that struck me though. You say there's a charge for a static IP.

Why then am I getting phone messages from Paraic in Eircom asking me to confirm my address so he can assign me a static IP address, especially since I never asked for it.

Is it a sweetener to stay on the old price (€54.95) I wonder?

That is interesting, I'm not aware of them offering a free IP, they used to charge EUR64.50 for it, perhaps this has changed.

Keep us informed of what happens with this Mountjoy.

Anybody else got this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by bk
    Would 7GB down and 1GB up put you over the 8GB limit, which is what I assumed it was.
    Nope trust me I've broken the cap twice and many a time I have had 7Gb down 4-5Gb up and was still able to use the net its whichever hits 8GB (now 16GB) first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Originally posted by bk
    Hi BigMoose, sorry I hadn't followed those threads, could you clarify this for me, it isn't clear from IOL's website.

Cheers.

No it would not. It is NOT combined. I know the website is unclear. It is 8 gig download cap and 8 gig upload cap so you can download 7.99 and upload 7.99 in the same month. Not sure about the new 16 cap but I'm sure the same ruling will apply. The reason I know this? I have seen many screenshots of usage levels. One shows 7.1 down and 3.6 up. The user would be well over the cap if it was combined -but no warning is given on the usage. Then in other screenshots it gives a warning if you are on course to going over the download limit

Edit: This helps too

iol.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

n1 bk but i would just like to point out that most offer RADSL and not ADSL. While not really that big a difference to most people there is a difference :)

Sorry for being pedantic :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

ISDN Install €224

AGHHHH! I need a work around for this...please....anyone? Can I get the snips out and uninstall ISDN myself?

Advertisement