Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heeeeeeelp!!!!

Options
  • 02-03-2004 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    I was just wondering if anyone can give me a hand here. Im goin for an interview tomorrow for a Fas course in P.C Networking maintenance. I honestly dont know much about it at all, so can anyone give me any kind of info about networking, or links to any helpful sites? I just need enough to blag my way through the interview!! Any and all help appreciated!! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I'm not trolling, if you don't know anything about networking you should really give the interview a miss.
    You're not going to learn enough in the space of a day to "blag" your way through an interview. Even if you get the job, it'll be pretty obvious you don't know anything about it after a couple of days. Just my 2c.

Edit: Thought that said job. Even still, if there's a limited number of places blagging your way on is hardly fair to people who might know something about the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Actually i just read the FAQ..*L* Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

If it's a course they'll probably be expecting a low knowledge level and hopefully some enthusiasm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

http://www.dslwebserver.com/

Nice interesting guide to setting up a home network.

Originally posted by leeroybrown
    If it's a course they'll probably be expecting a low knowledge level and hopefully some enthusiasm.

Yeah its just a beginners course in networks maintenance that i desperately need to get into so i can get some decent qualifications and leave the nightmarish job im stuck in now *L* I just wanted some more info on it to help me seem a bit more knowledgabe about it at the interview Grimey, nothing "unfair" to other applicants.
    Anyways, thanks for the help guys :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by Deadwing
    I just wanted some more info on it to help me seem a bit more knowledgabe about it at the interview Grimey, nothing "unfair" to other applicants.
    In fairness, there's a difference between wanting to sound knowlegable in an interview and wanted to blag your way through it.
    Anyway, best of luck with it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

Ehm, well most of todays LAN's are Ethernet 802.3 based, using TCP/IP as their communication method. TCP is on the 4th layer of the OSI model and is regarded as a reliable means of transporting packets. UDP is on the same layer as TCP, not reliable but faster, thats why online games use UDP. SPX is another example of a 4th layer component. IP is the 3rd layer of the OSI model, the internetwork/network layer.

This is the stuff you learn at the beginning of a networking life :rolleyes:

BTW, OSI stands for Open Systems Interconnection

My advice:

Why on earth would you want an IT qualification?

I have a degree in Computer Science and a number of years Development and Sys Admin experience.

There are NO jobs for people with no experience, the market is over crowded with people, and many many jobs are being shipped to India etc.

IT is not a good career choice IMHO.

While there will always be a need for Networking people, I think if you're just looking for a qualification there are much better areas...

Would you go back to a Uni and do something like Science instead?

Well to be honest, my Leaving cert wasnt exactly stellar. I passed, but only barely, so apart from going back as a mature student, college is out. And science is DEFINITELY out *L* And right now i just want to do something that i know ive got a head for (I.E computers) and this course starts next monday!! So basically i could get out of the ****ing nightmare job im in, get a qualification that could at the very least open a few doors for me to other courses, if i cant get a job with it.

And thanks a million to yourself Johnny, Ando and grimey for posting. Wether i get it or not, the links and advice were pretty helpful, cheers :)

• Advertisement

Check out ExamNotes.net

I used that quite a lot when getting my qualifications. Also HowStuffWorks is more helpfull that you would think. Finally, WebOpedia

Wish you luck ;)

Nice one, thanks! :) Im just about to head out to the interview now..my head is fit to burst with Csma/cd, pcmcia, WiFi, HomeRF, homePNA, wireless networks, DCC, powerline, bluetooth, TCP/IP, Dsl, dns servers..ahhh!!!! Hopefully itll all help..ill let yas know, thanks again!!

Hey how'd the interview go?

WEll not wanting to jinx it, so ill say it went...okay *L* It seemed to go fairly well, i just had one guy ask me pretty much everything i knew about pc's, and networks. And i was able to answer everything fine, so yeah it seemed to go fairly well. Now we play..the waiting game. Awww the waiting game sucks, lets play hungry hungry hippos!!!

Thanks again :D

Just to let anyone who wants to know, know..i got the course! w00t!!
    Thanks for the help all :D

n1 wink.gif

Advertisement