Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netsource charging Disconnection fee now

• 02-03-2004 3:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭

As I will be moving house in the next 2-3 months I decided to inform Netsource that I want the account cancelled.

They informed me that there is now a €75 "disconnection" fee for leaving them.

Is there any other BB provider out there who does this or any reason for doing this other than doing their best to rip the guts out of thier SOHO BB users?

I thought it was worth mentioning to all and sundry inc ase you are thinking of recommending Netsource as a BB provider. It wasn't in the Terms and Conditions I signed up to (or any SOHO user I am aware of).

Any opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

AFAIK, the disconnection fee is only if you don't give the full 40 working days (or however long it is) notice. All of the ISP's charge if you leave before the end of your contract too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Well if he's giving them 2-3 months bloody notice he's hardly within the 40-days now is he?

If needd cancel the direct debit and mail them a cheque for the last month's rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Originally posted by SyxPak
    Well if he's giving them 2-3 months bloody notice he's hardly within the 40-days now is he?
    No, which is why I mentioned it. It's most likely that either he or whoever he was talking to got the wrong impression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Excellant point there Syxpak, got so annoyed at this charge ..i forgot..its two month rolling contract afterall...

Thus surely informing them in writing that you do not wish to renew the contract two months from now prevents them from being able to penilise you for not renewing, afaik , no company can FORCE or penilize you for not starting a new contract ?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭ando

I faxed in a formal letter saying i wanted out. Couple days later they disconnected me, no charge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Well since the rolling contract used to be 3 months and the end of May is about 3 months away I decided to contact them to make sure they were informed officially.

So they are in fact getting 90 days notice and two months will be 60 days notice.

I am trying to get this confirmed for definite. I'll let you know if there is a reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

when i formally asked to be disconnected-the two month rolling thingy was put into force so i had to pay another 2 months of 66euro access.part of the contract...unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by MrPinK
    No, which is why I mentioned it. It's most likely that either he or whoever he was talking to got the wrong impression.

Sorry if I seemed to be getting angry/stroppy with you :)
    Didn't intend my post to come across like that.
    Was more directed at Netsource and the incredulity of the charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

My contract (I got ns in bout two weeks ago) has a 150euro dc charge. It doesnt say anything it regards premature termination just says to cancel you pay 150 basically.

And thats prob an ex Vat price too.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

Any news on the new netsource tariffs yet for SOHO????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

The word from Netsource is this. There is now also a charge to change products.. Nice, eh?

---

The disconnection fee is payable to any customer who wishes to disconnect
    his service.

The disconnection fee is what we are charged by Eircom any time we
    disconnect a line.

The pricing has not been fully confirmed, but basically you can either
    upgrade or downgrade the service.

To downgrade the service, there is a one off fee of 45 euro and the monthly
    rate would be 33 euro, however you will not have a fixed IP address and
    there is an acceptable user policy of 16 gigs on that particular service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

Did they say anything about that stupid domain thingy that they have?
    On the disconnection charge though - i will not pay that and will be taking up a service from a provider who does not charge this either.
    Its a completely unfair charge. Do Eircom charge a customer this when they disconnect from the Eircom service?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

Gangsters!!!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Eircom charge a EUR60 (Excl VAT) wholesale disconnection charge to Netsource. So they are trying to milk you when they say EUR150.

You can see the details at the following and point the muppets at NS to this site: http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/products/internet_bitstream.asp

Interestingly there is also a EUR60 (Excl VAT) wholesale port transfer chrage, I figure that you should be able to pay this instead to transfer to Eircom, UTV or IOL, without having to pay the disconnection fee. I must check with ComReg.

Either way there is nothing in my contract about a disconnection fee, so there is no way I'm paying one, however the transfer charge would be much easier and it is only supposed to take a day.

Even with the transfer charge I'm sure your still gonna have to pay them something. The dc charge isnt all to do with the port dc charge and the install charge isnt all the do with port install charge either.

Do post what you find tho

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Originally posted by Tazzle
    Next they'll be charging us for the cost of calls and faxes to eircoms on behalf of us. I'm sure they have no right to carry that business cost onto us. In my opinion, if you want out of netsource, call to your bank, stop the direct debit, send netsource a cheque to the value of the last 2 months by registered cheque and inform them you have done this and request disconnection.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by Ryaner
    Even with the transfer charge I'm sure your still gonna have to pay them something. The dc charge isnt all to do with the port dc charge and the install charge isnt all the do with port install charge either.

Do post what you find tho

No, the only charge they have to make is the EUR60 cessation to Eircom and I don't think they have to make that if I transfer.

I've just been reading the Eircom Bitstream documentation it is all very interesting stuff, they even have a copy of the DSL Transfer form.

Now NS might have expected me to stay longer then 12 months and might have budgeted for that, but since it isn't in my contract then that is their tough luck, all I need to do is give them 2 months notice (and of course cancel my direct debit). They can't force me to pay anything else.

I will be checking with ComReg and Esat first of course.

Well I'm with ns two weeks at this point and was expecting an uncapped line. I dont see point in over a hour a month for net access at home so I'm prob ringing ns tomorrow and telling them of the situation. She did seem very iffy when I told her iol's pack was cheaper than theirs even without phone. They seem to only have looked at eircom's 8 gig limit and thought that their 16gb would keep people.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

So is this new "exciting" price of €33 an ex-VAT price? Meaning, in reality, that it's €40?
    Also I am right in thinking that Netsource's offering is 16GB COMBINED upload/download whereas IOL's €47 offering is 16GB download only?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Originally posted by bk
    No, the only charge they have to make is the EUR60 cessation to Eircom and I don't think they have to make that if I transfer.

I've just been reading the Eircom Bitstream documentation it is all very interesting stuff, they even have a copy of the DSL Transfer form.

Now NS might have expected me to stay longer then 12 months and might have budgeted for that, but since it isn't in my contract then that is their tough luck, all I need to do is give them 2 months notice (and of course cancel my direct debit). They can't force me to pay anything else.

I will be checking with ComReg and Esat first of course.

Hi bk, please do post here whatever you find out, am sure many people here, myself included , would be extremely interested to hear what Comreg and Esat have to say on the matter.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Originally posted by ixoy
    So is this new "exciting" price of €33 an ex-VAT price? Meaning, in reality, that it's €40?
    Also I am right in thinking that Netsource's offering is 16GB COMBINED upload/download whereas IOL's €47 offering is 16GB download only?

NS dont seem to have a 33ex vat offering. I was told my soho pack is staying as is with the only change being the 24:1 change. Also NS does say 4gb traffic a week which is upload/download. From what I've seen they concentrate on dl tho but wouldnt trust them.
    Iol's is too clear but everyone says that is only a dl cap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

Originally posted by ixoy

I'm wondering is it €33 ex vat + €10 ex vat domain name making a grand total of

€52

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Did they charge you to activate the line? Because the English company I'm with didn't charge me to activate the line, but if I leave with in the year, I have to pay the fee.... £60

John

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by DaithiSurfer
    I'm wondering is it €33 ex vat + €10 ex vat domain name making a grand total of

€52
    I doubt we'll have to pay the domain name because the new package has a non-static IP making a domain name useless. If this package exists - I've STILL heard nothing concrete :mad:

Advertisement