Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bootable cd

Options
  • 02-03-2004 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

Folks are all OS cd's bootable?

Let me explain, I was recently trying to install win 98 or 2k onto my PC when it crashed and burned.

I had in the BIOS set up to look at the cd rom and then the floppy and then IDE and then the HD.

When I was trying the CD's all but one of them (OS cd's) worked the rest just tried to boot from the HD and crashed?

IS it cos they arent bootable cd's or am I on the wrong path altogeher ?

many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Since Win98 (Win95 didn't boot) all original Microsoft OS disks should be bootable. It's possible that someone mucked up when creating a backup and left the disk non bootable. There are boot floppies available to kickstart most Windows OS installs (be warned for 2k or XP this requires quite a few floppies).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭paddyc

cheers

let just say some of the cds i was using werent in their original packaging... many thanks after 3 weeks of being pi$$ed off with the pc i am again happy.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Those cd's may not have been "backed up" correctly. Burn them as an image and they would have booted.

Advertisement