Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Explorer

Options
  • 02-03-2004 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

For some reason and without warning, I can't use Explorer on my Dell at home. It keeps popping up with an error message and asking do I wan to send it to Microsoft.
    The only unusual thing I noticed was that in the past two weeks, some kind of search engine page would open up and I could not close it down without going offline.

What should I do ?

Delete the Explorer program file and install it again or what ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭UnrealQueen

Use System Restore. It's great for any problem.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

Yeah , reinstall, you don;t want to have probs with explorer as it's core util , so go for a reinstall / repair and fix the prob, else you'll see more and more when any app references the explorer module

rafters,

Fionn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭pdh

Lads,
    Thanks for the advise about the Restore option.

Just one further question, will I loose all my data files if I run restore ? If so then I guess I will have to get a lend of an external hard drive to backup all the data before Restore.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

By the sounds of things it is possibly just some spyware/adware that you have picked up. No real need to do a system restore yet.

Download Spybot and run that. It will find any spyware software on your machine and remove it. That should solve your problems if its spyware/adware related. If yo still get the error when opening Internet Explorer just do a reinstall of Internet Explorer. You should have it on the Windows CD [Dell might not have given you this], if not you can download it from the Microsoft website or grab a copy of PC Live or some other PC mag which may have it.

Also get yourself Mozilla Firefox. Its a lot better and safer browser then Internet Explorer. Also, lets not forget to run a Windows Update to fix and patch and security holes you may have on Windows/Internet Explorer. sorry for all the off topic advise ;)

Advertisement