Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Game ever!

Options
  • 02-03-2004 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

What's the best game ever? Metal Gear Solid (PS1) But thats my view!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

mine is Beneath a Steel Sky on the PC

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Half-life, most influential FPS ever :)
    What other 6year odd old game still has a colossal following?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Originally posted by Pugsley
    Half-life, most influential FPS ever :)
    What other 6year odd old game still has a colossal following?

Doom is the most influential.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I'm not really into alien killing FPS - I prefer to kill people...does that say something about me? :dunno:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Chucky

Perhaps it means you are a natural born killer...as are we all :)

hehe

We aren't restricted to PC games alone are we?

It's a tie between:

Street Fighter 2: Special Championship Edition (Sega Mega Drive)
    Super Mario World (SNES!!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Id have to put halflife up there with the best of them. It brought multiplayer games into the mainstream and look how many mods/maps/servers/communities/clans etc etc exist just because of that game.

Id say wolfenstein 3d has a lot to be proud of for bringing us into the doom/quake/unreal/halflife world.

AND I FECKING LOVE SUPERBOMBERMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

never forget the classics!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

oh and i also love flight sim stuff but thats just me being sad and wishing i wasnt half-blind :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭raphaelS

Pong from Atari... Where it all started (at least for me)!

atpong.jpg

Raphael

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

super metroid; immensely replayable, even 10 years on. memorable boss encounters, one of the greatest lead characters ever...

my idea of gaming perfection

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by Giblet
    Doom is the most influential.
    Is it? What about Wolfenstein 3D? Or, IIRC, Monster Maze on the Speccie? Both had the idea of FPS before Doom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

i remember loading up FFVII for the first ever time on christmas morning and being blown away by everything on screen! The 90 odd hours i put into that game were possibly the most enjoyable of my gaming experience! that said Half-Life, i have a game going at the moment nealy finished!, Super Mario World and Zelda: Oracina of Time all deserve a mention in my opinion! Prob missing out load, prob? what am i saying? im definatly overlooking a few...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Super Mario Bros. 3
    Close the thread, the best game has been named.!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Planescape: Torment.

Brilliant, just brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The legend of Zeld :Ocarina of Time
    The best game of all time .
    Absolute perfection and years ahead of its time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Gotta love these best game ever posts, theres one every month but you still feel you have[/] to post on them :D

Ummm...lets see

FFVII, definitely
    MGS1
    Halo
    ..damn, maybe i should move this list into the top 15 games of all time thread..*L*

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Chrono Trigger on the snes

sigh, better than FF7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Originally posted by bazH
    Chrono Trigger on the snes

sigh, better than FF7
    I played chrono trigger on an emu a few years back, good game, but i never finished it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Originally posted by ixoy
    Is it? What about Wolfenstein 3D? Or, IIRC, Monster Maze on the Speccie? Both had the idea of FPS before Doom.

But none of those games had the influence that doom had.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭BeatFreak

Fallout 2, without a doubt the most involving and enjoyable game I have ever played. Dedicated a whole summer to that game, ah the memories.

/me weeps for Fallout 3.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

For me it's Suikoden 2

And nobody else will know why because it got almost completely ignored. In fact I ignored it as well until a friend from Konami sent me a copy.

It's by far the most emotionally involving game I've ever played. The story of three best friends who gradually become more distant from one another and eventually have there whole lives ripped apart almost had me in tears on a number of ocassions towards the end of the game.

Also you can forget about Sephiroth and SHODAN. Suikoden 2's Luca Blight is by far the best videogame villian ever. What makes him different is that he is not all powerful but just a normal human being. Like all characters in the Suikoden series he is not entirely evil. After you learn his motives
    (being held prisoner with his family in the last war his father, the king, escapes without them. As punishment Luca is forced by the ruler of the city states to watch his mother being raped by the soldiers in the camp)
    for his genocidal war against the city states you pity him instead of hate him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

Ok maybe best game ever is to hard, Lets try RTS.
    Gotta be RA 2 or Generals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Fionnan

Medieval Total War and IL2 Sturmovik Forgotton battles. Say goodbye to your life i f you play these two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭crowl

FFVII, Baldurs Gate II and Max Payne 2.
    Cant choose 1:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Depends on my mood.
    At the moment, its metroid prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Saviour_Angel

FFVII on the PS1 is the greatest ,"RPG", game ever ! ! !

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Civ 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

ill put in another vote for half-life, it has the biggest modding community, it spawned the most popular online game of all time, its sequel is easily the most anticipated ever, and its still going strong after 6 years

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Originally posted by OmegaRed
    Ok maybe best game ever is to hard, Lets try RTS.
    Gotta be RA 2 or Generals!

i think RA 2 is very underated. that game was so addictive. ok it was a little bit of a "who can make the most units the quickest" type of game but nowhere near as bad as RA1 or Tiberian Sun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭JCDenton

Without a doubt "Deus Ex" is the "Best Game Ever!"

either that or Asteroids...

Advertisement