Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why was merc banned?

Options
  • 02-03-2004 4:56pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Since the purpose of the ban was to prevent disruption of yet another thread on this forum, it seems best to make sure that discussion of the ban doesn't have the same effect.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Originally posted by ecksor
    Banned for a week.
    If you want I can start another thread on this, but can you answer me this: Why was amp banned? I thought that the "New Guidelines" had been dropped, with intervention from Dev. Or am I missing something here?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I wondered the same thing myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

amp and ecksor have been at handbags for aaaages.

Regarding the first post:
    Meh, nice idea, verging on the impossible to implement. The amount of wrist slapping, bannings etc neccesary to enforce this would be gigantic and, considering the amount of newbies who sign up and proceed to post without as much as glancing at the rules, never-ending. The 'problem' is nowhere near bad enough to require all that work, in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by Hobart
    Or am I missing something here?

Sense of humour ?

I assumed it was a joke about his over-reacting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Probably because of the contents of these two posts:

Ecksor and DeVore

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Sigh.

Week ban seems fine as it was two posts into a thread about a totally different topic. Sorry, but anyone dragging stuff off topic so that they can have a laugh is not allowed. Not even for amp. :)

If this had been some cat fight between Ecksor and Amp (gosh, could anyone imagine such a thing) then I might feel alot more sympathy and have stepped in but while Ecksor may have been gunning for him, Amp stuck a big "shoot me" sign on his head and got shot. *SURPRISE*

I think we should have a forum called the Ampy and Ecksy Show... each week one of them can be the mod and do evil things to the other.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Mysterio

Thank god it wasn't dragged off topic as it's such an vitally important thread.

I'm confused however by the fact that Trojan wasn't banned or was he being serious when he said:

"This thread should be titled something more specific, like "Stop people posting vague subject lines on PI and AH on Tuesdays"."
    while Ecksor may have been gunning for him

If ecksor is banning people for personal reasons then does that mean the other moderators can do that to? It seems to set a disturbing example.

I'm sorry to intervene in this and I know I'm about to be banned for being a troll account but it'd be interesting to hear some views on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

because looking at the thread, Trojan made a point about the subject, you were just having a go.

Take it like a man Amp. ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

He appears to have moved his protest to here.

For the record, I thought that ban was several weeks overdue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

09: The registration form for creating an account on boards is expanded to include the following things:

Phone number
    A test measuring the ability to make people laugh
    A biometric dna test
    LOL..... the whole thing was a good read... funny

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Hahahaa.....Im just reminded of amp moaning on the the 'why was utility' banned thread....irony.....delicious....

P.s

Down with Ecksor.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by ecksor
    For the record, I thought that ban was several weeks overdue.
    Because...?

(Pure curiosity)

Similar antics on forum suggestion threads causing them to turn into flame-fests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Don't be silly, this plague on F/B demanded a radical solution from Captain Freedom! Defending newbies and troll accounts wherever he goes!

Personally I will be ignoring this nonsense. I look forward to my first banning.

as harsh as that was...it was in response to the breaking of ecks's new rules...

Here's a quasi-mathmatical summary:

ecksor bizarre announcement = amp questioning* announcement + DeV telling us both to be good children and behave.

Now if we remove the left hand side of this quasi-equation then the other side of the equation ceases to exist. QED

*replace questioning with sharp wit and disgust

knowing my opinion on the matter is worthless *ie can can change nothing

;)

After much thread reviewing, I have come to the conclusion that there can be only one resolution*

Without conflict there can be no progress.

*amp for Administrator

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

in fairness that was one of his more subtle remarks hes made (if he is capable of such), but he still broke the rules and must be dealt with for such.

besides the fact that he broke the rule this time, he has been at it for a long time, and he publicly announced how he was going to ignore the forum rules and was looking forward to being banned. I guess he got his wish so... I wonder what would happen if I or you announced how we were going to ignore the forum rules in games, and then post an insulting comment directed at Amp

Flogen

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Hang on... there are NO NEW RULES on forum suggestion threads. AFAIK things progress as they ever did. Or did everyone just forget that I'm hanging around here too :)

I would have banned amp too to be blunt. He brought his personal argument with another user bluntly and blatantly into a thread that was 2 posts old. Sorry but amp is a long time moderator and knows that thats not on. He/you recently banned people (quite rightly and I supported it) from Humanities for continuing a discussion after he told them to drop it and that was in the same thread. Whats sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

If he wanted to do it properly he could have started a "I'm not happy with Ecksors adminning because: " thread, thats "feedback". Parachuting this personal argument into a perfectly reasonable thread like some sort of fist-fight brawl roaming from bar to bar in the The Quiet Man is not the way.

Sorry, I dont doubt that Ecksor shot you as soon as you put a toe over the line because you two seem to have some sort of píssing contest going. Maybe he laughed and sang songs while he did it too.... I dunno. But I think you knew that that was a "needle" the size of The Spire and decided your (plural) little war was too much fun to have end so soon.

Come on amp, dont tell me you are "shocked and sickened" that you got banned, you knew you would when you wrote that :p:p

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Well I'm glad that that's all cleared up so.

Oh if only that were true... if only I could believe that...

*clicks ruby slippers together three times*

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by Mysterio
    If ecksor is banning people for personal reasons then does that mean the other moderators can do that to? It seems to set a disturbing example.

Nothing new there. Ask amz.

Originally posted by DeVore
    Sorry, I dont doubt that Ecksor shot you as soon as you put a toe over the line because you two seem to have some sort of píssing contest going.

If I was going to shoot him as soon as he put a toe over the line he'd have been shot a long time ago. I was trying to avoid such an incident because of people reaching the opinion which you just expressed. In the end that lead to a blind eye been turned to his misbehaviour and also to the abuse which he was prompting from other users. The forum was suffering in my opinion and since my other hamfisted attempt to sort things out wasn't met with any success, this seemed like the only option (and by your own admission, how I should have sorted things out to begin with).

I didn't actually realise I was parodied until he said so in his signature. Doesn't look very plausible of me to say that now I suppose and I've fallen into the trap of making it look like a personal vendetta :dunno:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Nothing new there. Ask amz.

miaow

>hugz<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

WOW - Does that mean there is going to be a massive gang fight between Ecskors internet crew and Amp's crew @ the boards beer I keep hearing about? Delicious. Nerd Fights!!!

WOW!!!

:p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

WOW - Does that mean there is going to be a massive gang fight between Ecskors internet crew and Amp's crew @ the boards beer I keep hearing about? Delicious. Nerd Fights!!!

yeah, its gonna be like Gangs of New York, only without the stupid Oirish accents, without the cool weaponry, with more glasses and greasy hair, without the acting talents of Day Lewis, or the high budget that Scorsese can pull in, or the elaborate set, or the extras, or the violence......

sounds abit rubbish when you think about it.

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

TBH, Amp is right.

John

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Originally posted by DeVore
    If this had been some cat fight between Ecksor and Amp (gosh, could anyone imagine such a thing)

yes
    yes I can
    and whats more, I'd pay good money to see it!

I think we should dress them up is Star Trek uniforms and play that music from the spock/kirk fight (also done on the Cable Guy I believe)

eck = spock
    amp = kirk
    :D

I'd pay too. Funnier would be to make amp admin, then sit back and wait for the next snowboarding trip.

The other admins would arrive back to a boards.ie devastated by civil war, starting with half of the moderators standing up and walking out in protest at the decision to give 6 forums to p45.net and culminating in amp being banned from behind while in Cork, and ecksor's supporters seizing control and holding it for 60 years through involuntary illegal voting practices and brown envelopes.

It'll be great.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

zzzzzzzzzzzz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

ban castor troy. not amp. he was right.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement