Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrecking my head!

Options
  • 02-03-2004 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

This is wrecking my head...

I have two tables.

RoomFile(RoomName,RoomType)
    RoomAvailabilityFile(RoomName,InDate,OutDate)

RoomAvailabilityFile stores the bookings for a particular InDate and OutDate. I want to display the RoomName & RoomType which are NOT in RoomAvailabilityFile on a particular date.

I've tried lots of SQL queries but they just won't work...

Using VB6 with Access.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭rs

You need to left join RoomFile with RoomAvailabilityFile and take those rows that have In_Date = Null

join syntax varies from database to database, as it's not standard sql

I've only used mysql + oracle, so I don't know the access equiv

good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭rs

select RoomFile.RoomName, RoomFile.RoomType from RoomFile left join ( RoomAvailabilityFile on RoomFile.RoomName = RoomAvailabilityFile.RoomName) where In_Date = NULL;

something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 feakle

use:
    select RoomName,RoomType from RoomFile where RoomName not in (select RoomName from RoomAvailabilityFile where InDate => "your date" and OutDate <= "yourdate")

you might want to check the where clause but the sub query is the best way to go if the table is not huge (ig gets slow after a while).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

did you try doing the query in the design mode in access then viewing the results in sql mode then copy the query into the vb editor ... always used to work for me.. ww)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by rs
    select RoomFile.RoomName, RoomFile.RoomType from RoomFile left join ( RoomAvailabilityFile on RoomFile.RoomName = RoomAvailabilityFile.RoomName) where In_Date = NULL;

something like that.

Yeah, thats how I'd do it, but I'd change it just slightly to make the WHERE clause filter on the same field as the JOIN was performed.....because it rules out the case where you have a record in RoomAvailabilityFile with an In_Date of NULL.

Oh, and although some databases will let you get away with it, you should never use '= NULL', if 'IS NULL' is available. Technically, nothing equals a null, not even another null.

As approaches go, I believe it is far more efficient than the more commonly used NOT IN or NOT EXISTS approaches....or at least, it is far more efficient unless you make a mess of setting up your indexes.

jc

• Advertisement
Advertisement