Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice on some Kit

• 02-03-2004 9:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

Thinking of putting a box together and while I am not looking for particular brands I need advice on the pro's/con's of older/newer technology(HT/STA/FSB/Memory speeds).Basicly I have not decided on Amd or intel yet but would be interested if it is worth while spending the cash on the latest kit or is some of it just hype.
    Thks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

thats a very broad question

briefly

look at tomshardware.com for various guides

Go for an AMD Barton for value, Pentium or AMD 64 for ultimate speed

SATA hard drives and DDR 400 memory are only a little bit more expensive so probably worth getting for future-proof-ness

Graphics - if you're not into games go for an ATI 9200, if you're kind of into them , go for a 9600XT, if you;re seriously into them go for a 9800 of some sort.

Think of it like going for a 2 litre car over a 1.6 - a 1.6 will do everything you need reasonably quickly. but a 2.0 can be nice to have, will give a little bit of a performance differecne for heavy duty stuff. You rapidly get into diminishing returns though.

Advertisement