Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

bike insurance up by €150...am i imagining things?

Options
  • 02-03-2004 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

so i get my policy renewal notice in the post today

ive only had the bike a year, it was my very first policy, year one was 742

today i get a letter saying its going to cost me 889 for year 2!

thats on a 200cc vespa 25 years old provisional licence through aon

are they making a mistake or are prices going up?

by the way i checked with carole nash, they quoted me 700.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Nope, it's true. Hibernian have given the two fingers to bikers and lubed up their dildo.

My insurance will go up by €200 this year despite being another year older (a big factor when you're under 25) and a second year's NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

In 5 years, i've never seen mine go down (or even stay the same)..
    Full license, over 30, 5 years ncb...

Damn you to hell Irish insurers! (particularly HiB and CN!).

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

The net figure I paid for year 2 of my bike insurance (with Hib) went down by about 20% (170 yoyos) but this was after passing the driving test(-35%), doing the Ignition course (-15%), and 1 year's NCB (-10%). Course this all led me to naively think my insurance would be 40% of first year. Bah! bl00dy insurance companies. All 2 of 'em! But Hib still cheaper FC than TPO with CN :confused:
    AFAIK Hibernian have a 35% loading on provisional licence holders. Do your test, save yourself money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

called aon...i said " whats the story"

they said "its not us, its hibernian"

i said " i cant afford the extra 150"

they said "oh"

i said "listen carole nash are quoting me about 200 less than you guys"

they said " emm..ok will we take you off our mailing list?

i said "yeah"

if it keeps up like this i'll have to buy a smaller bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

OOOoooooh I can't wait till August to see how much mines gone up!! €1200 last year, I'm guessing €1600 this year.

• Advertisement

This list of AON rates might help. Seen it mentioned elsewhere. It mentions the 35% loading for provisional licence holders.
    I can't understand why a group 3 bike is more expensive to insure than a group 7 bike for over 30 yo. Good excuse to get a bigger bike though :D.
    "honest love I'm _saving_ money by getting a big bike!"

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

That URL you posted is mine, and you should all be warned that I put that jpg up at least 15 months ago now, so it's
    probably not too accurate :(

Thanks for that spockety. Was a bit doubtful about posting it as there's no date on the list. And haven't been in any bike shops lately that deal with AON. Something to do for the weekend, perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

On the subject of bike insurance....
    I've just changed back from a bike to a car, because it costs me the same now to insure a 10 year old Carina as a 15 year old BMW R80. Bike insurance keeps going up & car insurance keeps going down.

My car insurance policy states that I can drive any other car or motorcycle so long as it doesn't belong to me.

If I sign over the papers for the bike to someone else, eg. my brother, just exactly how legal would it be for me to keep driving the bike ?

By the way giftgrub whats 25 years old, you or the bike ?

If its you then that premium is truly disgraceful.

If its the bike, then make sure CN are giving you a 'classic' quote - This makes a hugh difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Originally posted by Gurgle
    On the subject of bike insurance....
    I've just changed back from a bike to a car, because it costs me the same now to insure a 10 year old Carina as a 15 year old BMW R80. Bike insurance keeps going up & car insurance keeps going down.

My car insurance policy states that I can drive any other car or motorcycle so long as it doesn't belong to me.

If I sign over the papers for the bike to someone else, eg. my brother, just exactly how legal would it be for me to keep driving the bike ?

The bike must still be insured by someone. Otherwise we'd all be buying our other halves bikes!! This facility is in place for those odd occasions you may need to borrow someone else's car/bike.

By the way giftgrub whats 25 years old, you or the bike ?

i'm the one who's 25, its getting to the stage now that i'm thinking about ditching the 200cc vespa and getting a 125cc motorbike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Superpsycho

I've been driving over 4yrs &my ins has never gone down ever! No claims doesn't make a difference. If I could drive without it I would...but can't risk it.

Its just a load of Cr@ p:mad:

Off on a slight tangent, but are all the riders here of scooters / small bikes on provisionals? You do know Hibernian have a 35% loading for provisional licence holders?
    Want to know a few hundred off your insurance. Do the test. Now. Don't wait for the CBT to be brought in. Supposedly this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I understand that the Churchtown testing centre has already started a pilot for a much more comprehensive motorcycle test, which involves:

1) Asking the testee technical questions about their bike (oil levels, coolant, battery etc)
    2) A much more difficult testing route, which includes roundabouts and other common road fixtures etc (used to be just a clockwise and anti-clockwise straightforward route)
    3) Tester/Testee intercom system (to permit the tester to privde route instructions)

So, get that license now, unless you want to go through the more difficult comprehensive test.

So, get that license now, unless you want to go through the more difficult comprehensive test

thats all well and good but what about the 1 year waiting list?

Originally posted by Krusty_Clown
    I understand that the Churchtown testing centre has already started a pilot for a much more comprehensive motorcycle test, which involves:

1) Asking the testee technical questions about their bike (oil levels, coolant, battery etc)
    2) A much more difficult testing route, which includes roundabouts and other common road fixtures etc (used to be just a clockwise and anti-clockwise straightforward route)
    3) Tester/Testee intercom system (to permit the tester to privde route instructions)

So, get that license now, unless you want to go through the more difficult comprehensive test.
    Excellent. About f*cking time. The current motorbike test is a complete joke, even moreso than the car one. At least in the car test, the condition change (traffic lights, roundabouts, unknown hazards). The intercom is especially overdue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭meatball

Why don't you go ahead and take it, Seamus, if you think it's such a good idea?

Originally posted by meatball
    Why don't you go ahead and take it, Seamus, if you think it's such a good idea?
    A year's wait? G'way! :D

I probably will, gonna have to ditch the bike soon anyway, so a year's wait will make no difference. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

a few weeks ago i checjked on the hibernian online quotes and they quoted me 1040 then just for the laugh i checked it again 3 day's later and it went up to 1240, i mean wtf, i drive a marauder 125, its not big, its safe enough.
    year 1 = 1360
    year 2 = 1680
    this year = im gonna pimp meself out.
    bloody gangsta's is all they are.

• Advertisement

Heres another one:

On 20th january, I paid €633 for a years insurance.
    In february I got a car and I cancelled the bike insurance on 4th march.

I got €320 back.

well the good news is that after all that i've finally got a half decent quote

originally hibernian were looking for nearly 900

CN quoted me 760,

moved house last week that knocked another 120 off the price

so now i'm looking at 640 with Carole Nash

by the way they said because the bike test is so piss easy, having a full licence doesnt make a real difference

the advice from them was to get proper training eg R.O.S.P.A.

could save you almost 30 percent

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Eye

insurance in ireland is a joke, especially for bikers :(

i myself may end up selling my bike this year if my insurance does'nt drop a bit.

i hear alot of people on here complaining about Carole Nash for insurance, but if it was'nt for them i would have had to sell my bike 1 year after getting it.

bought my dragstar 650 almost 4 years ago now,
    1st year insurance > me 20, prov A licence, 2 years no claims, cost me £1800 with hibernian, before the € came in
    2nd year insurance > me 21, prov A licence, 3 years no claims, cost me €1450 with Carole nash (hibernian wanted €2200)
    3rd year insurance > me 22, prov A licence, 4 years no claims, cost me €1400 with Carole nash (hibernian still wanted €2200)

now i'm just hopeing that this year with 5 years no claims bonus and being 23 will help drop my insurance down a bit, still got a my provisional licence (not seen any point in going for full as it will drop my insurance by about €30-40 according to carole nash) if i do keep the bike this year then i will apply for the test. however being unemployed now is a bitc* so if insurance does'nt drop i won't be able to afford to keep it :( and in order to get a job, transportation is a neccessity living in a small town ya gotta be able to get around :-\ it's a vicious circle :(

for the laugh i will, as always, contact hibernian this summer and laugh at them when they quote me a ridiculous price, but it can's be said that i don't try :p

i thought you had to be 25 to get insured by carole nash.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Eye

nope Carole nash will insure anybody over 25 no problems (or maybe it's 23 now can't remember if they dropped it) but also they will do a case by case review for anyone over 21, so depending on the bike your driving and any other circumstances they want from you they may or may not offer you a quote, but i had no problems getting mine 2 years ago having just turned 21 on a prov A licence and driving a 650 dragstar.

if your over 21, might as well give em a ring, ain't gonna do no harm asking, never know they might surprise you :)

yeah ill give em a buzz during the week, I'm 21 and only driving a 125 marauder so I hope they'll quote me and i have 2 years no claims. . I'll keep you posted.

Advertisement