Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Brake problem

Options
  • 02-03-2004 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭

My parents' megane has a weird brake problem. The brake discs and pads were worn so I decided to get them changed. Went to one of those quik-fit type places and got a good deal on new pads and discs. Non-genuine parts obviously. That was about 6 months ago and ever since the brakes need time to "warm up" before they will work effectively. They still work when cold but they need quite a hard shove on the pedal and have very little "bite". After a few good stops, they change completely and become super sharp. Slightest tip on the pedal and the car wants to stand on its nose.

I am wondering if the cheap pads/discs that I got are bascially crap whe cold or maybe they just glaze over very easily. Obviously since the brakes have had plenty of time to bed in so that's not the problem. Also the brake fluid is OK - the systen has been bled and tested for water contamination.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

BrianD3

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I have Pagid Fast Road pads on the front of my car. Apparently a characteristic of these is that they are not great when cold but have a sharp bite when heated up.
    I doubt yours are great pads (not traditional for Kwik-fit to supply above average pads) but I suspect this is the cause.
    Dunno if I would worry about it, as you are aware of it and it shouldn't pose a problem.

Advertisement