Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

routing issue (windows)

Options
  • 02-03-2004 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭

hello guys, just wondering if someone can help me with something...

i have a box running Windows Server 2003. 3 net cards, 1 for DSL, 1 for local LAN, and one for an external wireless connection (connected to an access point)

local lan is 192.168.0.x
    wireless is 10.2.40.x

i need to know how to route so as i can access 10.x.x.x connections on the wireless AP from my local lan.

i have tried from the command prompt:

route add 10.0.0.0 mask 255.255.255.0 10.2.40.2 metric 5 if 0x10005

but still am getting No Route To Host when i try to ping 10.2.40.1 from my local lan

any ideas guys?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Should mask not be set to 255.0.0.0?
    </stabInTheDark>

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

1) the route add command is case sensitive. Capitals are needed, cant remember and too tired to try remember :rolleyes:

2) routing and remote access

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 silver surfer

type 'route print' in a cmd box and paste the contents in a reply and we can 'ave a butchers at what u got ... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭padraigmyers

Try "route add 10.2.40.0 mask 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.?"

The 192.168.0.? should be your IP (I assume that you will be the router between the networks).

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭atheist

Solution 1:
    Use route command as discussed

Solution 2:
    Hack registry
    http://www.lpt.com/windowsnetworking/regusers/w2kprout.htm

Solution 3:
    Install Routing and Remote Access
    Add persistant routes

Solution 4:
    From
    http://www.software602.com/
    download LanSuite
    feature rich if not 100% secure
    or another proxy.

IrishWan I assume?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

padrigmyers, ive tried all that stuff, over and over again, and it dont want to work. had a long chat with Emboss about it, tried assigning dual IP addresses to the NIC, but it didnt want to work :(

atheist:

i would have enabled the advanced routing, but it aint compatible with ICF and ICS. for all the badness they get about them, they have both been rock solid for me and I would like to continue to use them, if possible.

will have a gander at the other possibilities.

and yup, im running a DublinWAN node ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭atheist

Hi Marclar,

As ICS has made you're private nic's IP address 192.168.0.1, and set up a DNS proxy / .local and DHCP etc based on those settings, leave it to do it's own thing.

On the W2k3 machine go into the properties of the Nic, TCP/IP, Advanced. You should see the 192.168.0.1 address. Leave it alone, choose Add, and add an address on the 10.2.40 network, for example 10.2.40.250

On the W2k3 machine do a ROUTE PRINT and ensure that the IP address of the NIC going to the wireless LAN is the last address that traffic on the 10.2.40 network is sent to - you're default gateway should remain you're DSL link.

On the Wireless router take the mac address of the Nic in the W2K3 machine used for Wireless and add a DHCP reservation giving it the address 10.2.40.251

For youre wireless clients etc to reply they need to know how to reach the 192 network and it's the Wireless router that will tell them. Here you need to
    ROUTE ADD 192.168.0.0 MASK 255.255.255.0 10.2.40.251
    This can be the default route so alternately set it as the gateway.

You now have two DHCP servers on different parts of you're network. For you're private network 192.168.0 and for Wireless 10.2.40.

Unfortunatly changing ICS's DHCP to configure private clients to add a route to the 10.2.40 network can not be done, so you will need to do
    ROUTE -p ADD 10.2.40.0 MASK 255.255.255.0 10.2.40.250
    on each private PC, possibly without the -p in a login script.

If the Wireless router is 10.2.40.1 see if you can now ping it from a private client. If not, implement Soution 2.

We should now have two routers - WiFi and W2K3 each of which knows where to send traffic for each of the 3 networks
    Everything else

To give the wireless clients web access you will need to install a second proxy alongside ICS, or bridge both nics in the W2K machine and have VPN clients assigned IP addresses in the 192.168.0 network if it will allow that.

Because of the limitations of the above setup I will be implementing my IrishWan node quite differently (delayed because of another project and lately because of flu). I want to add a test network, a dmz, an unrestricted zone, a restricted zone, bandwidth trottling, and content filtering and VPN and ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by marclar
    padrigmyers, ive tried all that stuff

with capitals? If you dont have capitals it wont work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

I used to have this problem. The I ditched trying to route *anything* in Windows.

Try:
    IpCop

20 Meg download. Just stick 3 Network Cards into any old pentium PC or better. Lash the CD into the drive, and you'll be up and running in half an hour.

PM me is you need any assistance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'm with Jaden on this one. A linux based router is always a better option in my opinion and it will run perfectly on a piece of crap PC if needs be.

• Advertisement
Advertisement