Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pink playing "oxigen"

• 02-03-2004 11:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

I Just heard that PINK is now playing along side the likes of David Bowe and the Darkness, its a disgrace. Its in the same league as Madonna, MADONNA play Slane. Hopefuly on one will turn up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

Pink has her head too far up her own as*. She thinks she's rock and an alternative to people like Britney Spears but she doesn't mind completely selling out and being the face of pepsi.
    Still though, I do love the strokes..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by Neil Cat.
    MADONNA play Slane

say what now. i hope you are taking the piss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I'm looking forward to seeing Pink's set more than The Strokes', tbh. I couldn't give a toss if its commercial, or if her cds are made from vital organs stolen from orphans, or if she sells Pepsi or anything like that. That's not on my mind at all when I'm at a gig. I'll be there to have fun, and I can see myself having more fun to Pink's music than The Strokes' music.

I wonder if she was called The Pinks, was on the cover of NME every other week and acted like an utter troglodyte whilst being interviewed would this announcement provoke the same response. I'd suggest not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Whatever, if there's someone I don't like on the main stage I'm more than likely going to head off to one of the other stages anyway. I don't see what the arguement is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Neil Cat.

Modonna playing Slane is only a rumours granted, but most rumours have at least a nugget of truth attached to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭The Phenom

Pink seriously what are they thinking.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Has anyone looked at last year's line up?
    Originally posted by NekkidBibleMan
    I couldn't give a toss if its commercial,

Agreed, but maybe not the next bit. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Is there gonna be a thread everyone gets added to the line-up?

Its great that each band/artist/DJ is different, thats what makes Witnness such a great two days, you get surprised by someone you may have written off before, also it makes for an intresting selection of people at the Event, But when someone not to your liking is on it means all there fans are not over at the stage you are at! which can be a good thing!

I doubt you will be there on the day getting all annoyed that pink's stage has a pepsi poster at the back.................. you will be where you wanna be having a great time.

Sean

Cant wait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Pop acts are nothing new for festivals. It's not as if Witnness/Oxegen is suddenly going down this bizaare route... Some of you may recall the All Saints a few years back who played a really really enjoyable afternoon set. Remember... There's five stages. Go to one you enjoy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Neil Cat.

I Know Pop acts are not on new thing at festivals, like Robbey Williams playing Slane. What pisses me off is how Pink was add to the Oxigen bill. She was VOTED on by the listensers of 2fm. 2fm had a poll of who should play the concert and who ever topped it, MCD would get the act. What I'm staying to say is, we could've had anyone and instead we're stuck with Pink!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

If she was voted to be on the bill..well...we live in a democracy. Even if most people aren't intelligent enough use their vote (or opinion) properly. :p

Having said that, she probably would have been on the bill anyway. Most of the bands at T In The Park play at Witnness/Oxegen so hopefully we'll have The Pixies too. :D :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭The Phenom

People voted her on o my god 2fm listeners are stupid. The Pixies jeez i hope not Where is my Mind is a good song but every other song i have heard i don't like.
    As long as The Strokes are there its all good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭isthisit

the strokes are great.
    what are 2fm listeners thinking?pink is just rubbish and shouldnt be playing.
    and by the way the pixies are absolute crap too.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by Neil Cat.
    I Know Pop acts are not on new thing at festivals , like Robbey Williams playing Slane. What pisses me off is how Pink was add to the Oxigen bill. She was VOTED on by the listensers of 2fm. 2fm had a poll of who should play the concert and who ever topped it, MCD would get the act. What I'm staying to say is, we could've had anyone and instead we're stuck with Pink!

POP is meant to describe popular music, but is high jacked by most to describe music they like, or don't like; it’s not really a music genre.

pop3 P Pronunciation Key (p p) Informal
    adj.

1. Of or for the general public; popular or popularized: pop culture; pop psychology.
    2. Of, relating to, or specializing in popular music: a pop singer.
    3. Of or suggestive of pop art: a pop style.

n.
    1. Popular music.
    2. Pop art.

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
    Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
    Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved

But then again, there are some who don’t like when a band they like becomes popular – it’s strange, but it really happens.

Originally posted by isthisit
    the strokes are great.
    what are 2fm listeners thinking?pink is just rubbish and shouldnt be playing.
    and by the way the pixies are absolute crap too.

If you can find a festival anywhere in the world that has nothing but acts that you love, than I applaud you. I have incredibly broad tastes and such a festival doesn't exist for me.

Witnness (and now Oxegen) has always spanned tastes and genres and for such a young festival has had some great headliners mixed with some wonderfully obscure acts, and even some straight up pop acts. I've been to all of them, and am glad that the variety exists. I'm also glad that when i'm watching one act, there's a good chance i'm probably not missing anything too important at the other stages.

If there's a demand for Pink to play, then more power to MCD for booking her. I won't be watching her, but no doubt a lot of people will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 curtismayfield

All Saints were terrible at Witnness 2000 cos they mimed the whole way through their set and then when the band stopped playing so did the backing track for their vocals and so began the most out of key a capella singing. I've heard better down my local. Still I don't think Pink is the worst thing to happen to Witnness. I think the rebranding/renaming of it is slightly worse. That said don't go to see Pink (I know others beat me to it) - I didn't go to see Muse, Texas or the Stereophonics (I don't like them very much) in 2001 and I still managed to see some of the best bands ever.
    Also while I think of it have OutKast confirmed yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Stay at home and listen to the Strokes, that way you`ll be comfortable when you fall asleep. A very very samey band with only one sound, whereas Pink is at least lively .

Granted thats my opinion, there is a reason why there are 5 stages you know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

All Saints were terrible at Witnness 2000 cos they mimed the whole way through their set and then when the band stopped playing so did the backing track for their vocals and so began the most out of key a capella singing.
    I seen All Saints a while ago (brought a friend's 10 year old, thats my excuse) and I was blown away by the show. They all sang live and in tune throughout, while performing the usual choreographed dance routines. So I'm surprised to hear they mimed that day. They don't have to. But then, that was several years ago when I seen them, so maybe they've just lost it.

Go Pink!!

Originally posted by robbie1876
    So I'm surprised to hear they mimed that day. They don't have to.

You'll be pleased to hear that they didn't mime that day then...

They had a stunning backing band playing with them too, they had this massive black fella playing guitar, he was the musical highlight of that particular Witnness for me. For anyone who caught any of Justin Timberlake's shows in Dublin, they were the same deal... Pop songs being performed by a large live band. I'd have them back to Witnness any time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

They had a stunning backing band playing with them too
    Good call, I forgot to mention that. Timberlake's band is unbelievably good. Nathan East was playing bass for him last year. The best backing band I ever seen was for Macy Gray a few years back in the point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

i think pink is a great addition to the bill, making it more diverse

if you dont like her go to one of the other stages... easy

Advertisement