Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eMule 0.42 problems

Options
  • 03-03-2004 2:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

I'm running Win2k Sp4 and recently upgraded from eMule ver0.41b.29 to ver0.42b
    Had it running from D:\eMule, installed over it, fired up eMule, everything seemed fine, it ran for a bit then just kept dying as soon as it connected.
    Uninstalled it, cleaned the directory of config files etc., reinstalled it and same shit kept happening.
    So uninstalled it again, reinstalled it to the default c:\program Files\eMule\, imported all my temp.met files successfully, it ran grand for a while and now once again it keeps dying on me.
    I've already tried OS restarts, no good.

Is there anything I can do?
    Has anyone else had similar problems?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

Well not knowing this program I can only suggest the following from an outside point of view , I don;t doubt you've tried this already but it's the last step before reinstalling / restoring

It really seems that either your config files are stuffed (only you will know or can test this) or the way the program interracts with windows is stuffed (ok, tell us something we don;t know Fionn)

so you;ve got to check for any program error codes (does it give any)
    or does it have a log file in it's directory (kinda like a mini event viewer) check this also (better yet does it write to event viewer with the error) , look up the error and repair , remember Google is your friend.

Now were down to the last two options (this is not fact, I could be worng , but I doubt it)

1 ) working directories , I'm talking about the set path in your environment tab (I'm thinking this caused you switched directories) or config or .ini files in the program, check these (notepad) and repair as necessary

2) The registry , now unless you know what your at , get someone else to do this , after uninstalling go through the registry and remove references to program directories and any program references , you could get a reg-cleaner for this but i don;t have a link i'm afraid , and then reinstall, it'll eb a cleaner reinstall

be sure you have a backup of your puter before you do anything ( I hate asking people to remove or delete stuff , can always end in disaster)

and failing all that , save your data (all of it , favourites, my docs ,cookies) to a new partition or cd-rw and repair / reinstall windows ,this will flush your reg keys if the proggy is unistalled and hopefully you can reinstall and it will work

Please be careful, use protection (backup the files / eye goggles / static wrist strap /bottle of Jolt cola/ cigarrettes/ condom / and don;t forget to use the force luke!)

before you go deleting stuff (right i;ve said it enought times now )

Hope you don;t mess up your puter , good luck

doh , someone add a find/replace for all my ;s on this site .

my work here is done , do let me know how it goes , at least if it all goes pear shaped one of us can laugh (just kidding)

Hope this helps

Fionn

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

There are no error dialogues, log entries or anything
    Tried running it with DrWatson in the background, no message, it happily chimed that everything was OK.
    It simply stops running and closes silently.
    *poof*
    Gone.

And it seems to do it with 0.41b.29 aswell.
    Dunno wtf is up.
    eMule is pretty much self-contained and doesn't require any external bits 'n bobs.
    The previous version worked fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

not the most helpful of programs is it ??

well you know the rest now yourself Syxpak , if ya really want the program the reinstall from scratch (windows and program) or try the earlier version ,

unless you go throught the reg and working directories , but reinstall from scratch is proably the best bet in the long run ,

best of luck ,

Fionn

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Fuck's sake :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Have you tried installing one of the 0.30 versions?
    (yeah, I know it wouldn't be ideal but at least if it worked it might be a bit mroe friendly about upgrading again)

• Advertisement
Advertisement