Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd- Richest club in the world!!!

• 03-03-2004 11:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭

Manchester United have retained their
    position as the world's wealthiest
    football club but Arsenal have
    overtaken Liverpool in the rich list.

United's turnover of £175million in
    2002/3 keeps them ahead of Italian
    giants Juventus and AC Milan, as well
    as Real Madrid, in a Deloitte study of
    revenue coming into clubs.

Liverpool have fallen out of the top
    five from fifth place a year ago and
    are now in eighth overall with
    £104.4million, just behind Arsenal
    (£104.6million).

Celtic make it into 18th place with an
    annual income of £60.8million but there
    is no place for Rangers who dropped out
    of the top 20 two years ago.

Despite their terrible financial
    problems, Leeds are rated among the top
    20 clubs in the world in terms of
    income and are in 16th place with
    revenues of £64million during 2002/3.

Top 10 Football Club Rich List:
    1. Manchester United 6. Inter Milan
    2. Juventus 7. Arsenal
    3. AC Milan 8. Liverpool
    4. Real Madrid 9. Newcastle
    5. Bayern Munich 10. Chelsea

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Yeah...but Leeds are 18th in that list if you look a bit further down it. Not a very up to date list is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bribren2001

well every1,
    it has been anounced and is no real surprise that utd are the richest club in the world- It seems to me that they are so rich is because they have lately turned into the tightest gits ever-dont get me wrong i would follow utd into the 2nd division but when you see them loose out on a class act like robben for a pathetic 13mil and only offer something like seven mil for his services.
    Lets face it they are not exactly strapped for cash-from the sale of beckham,veron and getting a nice sum of 30mil from vodafone. And the fans that are filling old trafford every week!!
    united better start getting out the cheque book or fergie will be faced with a united team in decline!

possible players would be:
    1.joaquin
    2.a player like ronaldinho-but lets not go there or i will completely blow up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by seansouth
    Yeah...but Leeds are 18th in that list if you look a bit further down it. Not a very up to date list is it?

They are the latest figures announced and apply to the 2002/2003 season. Considering the Players Leeds sold in that season its not surprising that they are on the list as these sales would count as income.

So it only includes income?

What about outgoings?

I mean I could earn a million quid a year, but spend two million, I certainly wouldn't be the 18th richest dude in Dublin.

If that's how that list is made, then I'm sorry, but it's utter crap.

Something else, with United now being touted as the "Worlds Richest ClubTM" it will give other teams that potential signings play for a licence to hold United to ransom in the transfer market.

Worrying times ahead methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

read the star 2day
    abramovich is gonna pump 750 million into chelski
    united wont b top of that list 4 too long more if thats true

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

It's a list of the highest incomes in the last year. It says that several times in what muppet posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

The reason that they are run like a business is because they are a business, they have to answer to shareholders and so have to report everything.

Just because Chelsea spend alot of money does not make them one of the richest in the world, in that you are right, what makes chelsea one of the richest in the world is the fact that they have alot of money to spend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

They may be the richest cluc but are they happy!;) :D

Originally posted by smiaras

United were..... criticised for overspending recently on bellion...

came on a free from sunderland

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

United were better off not bidding that much for Robben, they've been criticised for overspending recently on bellion and ronaldo, they're run like a business and IMO should continue to be run in such a fashion unless they get a sugar daddy who is ready to front lots of his own personal cash.

Failing to sign defenders is stupid and will cost them the title, the richest club in the world should be well able to buy cover for their defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

These figures do not make United the richest club in the world, it makes them the club with the largest annual income.

Considering the Players Leeds sold in that season its not surprising that they are on the list as these sales would count as income.

You are forgetting two players that United sold, Beckam and Veron? Cut them out and you are back down to 125 million or so, taking into account incoming transfers that is.

I didn't say that they shouldn't have gone out to sign cover, I'm just saying that they shouldn't go out and spend over the odds. Some United supporters will claim that they should have gone out and bought someone like Nesta during the transfer window when Southgate would have been a much better candidate. United's defence has been something of a concern for a while now, but at least in that department Ferguson has been hesitant of late when making purchases.

Well they signed no defenders, why??

I just can't understand it at all, I can't see why the richest club in the world wouldn't sign a central defender as cover. Ferguson has lost the plot I think, bellion is crap, djemba djemba is less than average and kleberson hasn't performed as yet.

Brown isn't performing at all, Neville's silly headbut against McManaman ruled him out for 4 games, Silvestre seems to have injury problems and that on top of Ferdinands 8 month ban!!

Silly boy alex has thrown the title away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

With regards to football, this "Richest Club in the world" crap means absolutely nothing. In fact it probably belongs more in the business forum than in the soccer forum. The fact that the supposedly "richest" team in the world can struggle to beat the likes of Fulham, Leeds etc... just proves that money doesnt mean success. Just ask Abramovic or Ridsdale (although the former will no doubt be winning things within a year or two).

It is the established squad players like Butt, Brown that should be to blame for their poor season rather than the new arrivals.

Butt hasn't being given a chance to play, he can only perform well if Alex picks him, I saw hime play one game and he actually played quite well.

• Advertisement

Correct me if I'm wrong but United have also had the biggest turnover in the last couple of seasons so they are the richest club in the world. In terms of merchandising they are the market leader and clubs like Real have followed their example.

United have the biggest turnover, this is correct. What are their total outgoings however? What sort of money have they got in reserves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

As a few people have said already, why is the title of this thread "the richest club in the world"? Cletic and Leeds are both in debt and are still in the top 20.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

stupid thread
    looks like this is the only thing mun utd will come first int this year lol

it has no relevance to soccer, as expressed earlier however that russian at chelsea can and will outbid any club if he wants to!

remember he has assests of 5-6 billion so in effect he could pump all his money if he wants of course into chelsea, which makes this thread pointless, as utd play football to make money, which is WRONG imo.

on a side note however once AG is finished the turnover for arsnal will increse 40-50 million per year bringing them up a good few places

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by jank
    it has no relevance to soccer
    What about the thread on Houllier's death threat or more importantly for you, arsenals stadium thread? Just as much relevence to soccer as this IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

Describing Man U as the richest club in the world is wrong. It just means they have had the biggest income. Everyone knows that Chelsea could outbid Utd on any player if money were no object.

I'd be slightly worried if I was a Chelsea fan, however. Granted everything is rosey now, getting new signings looking good for future success etc but should Mr Abramovich decide I've had enough then the club will be left with a massive wage bill and it could leave the club in ruins. I can't see Chelsea making profit in the next 10 years at least so from a business point of view its not economically viable. So with no money coming in, and looking like no success this season, how long will it be until Mr. Abramovich's Championship manager-like game becomes a bit boring?!

where is the arsenal stadium thread?
    and i wasnt the first to say that it has no relation to soccer!

houlliar death threats are related because he is a crap football manager and because of his bad perfomances on the FIELD of play he is getting those death threats

makes sense to me :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

He hardly deserves death threats regrdless of the performances on the Pitch

And Jank enters in style, accordingly the thread goes way off topic and turns into a United bashing and Arsenal bragging session.

on a side note however once AG is finished the turnover for arsnal will increse 40-50 million per year bringing them up a good few places

Do you really think the difference between United's figure of 167 odd million and Arsenals 99 odd million is purely down to a stadium? 41% of the money United took in was earned on Matchday (includes ticket receipts). The most that tickets sales could account for is 68 million, trust me when I say this is being far far too generous.

http://ir.manutd.com/manutd/findata/

The majority of the difference is down to marketing my friend!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I like cake.

Originally posted by James R
    I'd be slightly worried if I was a Chelsea fan, however. Granted everything is rosey now, getting new signings looking good for future success etc but should Mr Abramovich decide I've had enough then the club will be left with a massive wage bill and it could leave the club in ruins. I can't see Chelsea making profit in the next 10 years at least so from a business point of view its not economically viable. So with no money coming in, and looking like no success this season, how long will it be until Mr. Abramovich's Championship manager-like game becomes a bit boring?!
    True, although if he does decide to leave Chelsea in the lurch, all the money he has pumped into Chelsea's transfer fund will benefit them as they will have a vast squad of extremely valuable players which they would be able to sell off to raise funds.

I'm not sure Abramovich is so fickle though, he looks like he's in this for the long run. I do hope he will piss off though, as if he keeps pumping money into Chelsea for the best players, staff and so on, i think in time they will dominate Man Utd & Arsenal on the pitch as well as off it. After watching Man Utd win absolutely everything around them for years the only thing worse i can think of would be for Chelsea or Spurs to replace them at it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Chucky

Hey I'm not even a man utd fan but you can hardly critiscise united over any transfer deal, not even the Ronaldinho or Robben deals. They are one the best run clubs in the world........and just so happen to be one of the best on the soccer pitch too. Alex knows what he's doing. He's already got the foundations at the club for another Euro Championship winning team. Give them a few years.

I find it hard to critiscise anything at Man utd.

and you guys should stick to your arsenal stadium or houllier death threat threads...get the hell outta here! :)

nd Jank enters in style, accordingly the thread goes way off topic and turns into a United bashing and Arsenal bragging session.

???
    exactly how did i turn this thread into another arsenal and utd bashing thread

do i post for other people!

chelsea i see is mentioned a fair bit too and arsenal not that much but yet again i am the villian here:ninja:

anyway back on topic

i like cake too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭bdiddy

I think Chelsea and Man U shud sort this out by entering a bidding war for me!!! I'm the best footballer ever and would be willing to play in the Premiership should the right offer be made. bidding starts at €25million

• Advertisement

True Kaids but I think its fair to say that Chelsea have paid over the odds for players. The likes of Veron for example was a very expensive deal and presumably he has a phat wage salary. While he is a decent player etc, I doubt too many other clubs would pay anywhere near what Chelsea did for him and therefore they could end up with a lot of Winston Bogardes - sitting doing nothing collecting £40,000 a week. I just use Veron as one example.

Also a lot of their biggest buys have been fairly old players. Crespo and Makelele are hardly prospects for the future. Even the ones who you could say are worth the money such as Duff for 17 million is bad business in a way. Most people would love to have Duff in their side but as was proven in the summer no one would be willing to pay that amount for him if Chelsea had to ship him.

Originally posted by James R
    True Kaids but I think its fair to say that Chelsea have paid over the odds for players. The likes of Veron for example was a very expensive deal and presumably he has a phat wage salary. While he is a decent player etc, I doubt too many other clubs would pay anywhere near what Chelsea did for him and therefore they could end up with a lot of Winston Bogardes - sitting doing nothing collecting £40,000 a week. I just use Veron as one example.

Also a lot of their biggest buys have been fairly old players. Crespo and Makelele are hardly prospects for the future. Even the ones who you could say are worth the money such as Duff for 17 million is bad business in a way. Most people would love to have Duff in their side but as was proven in the summer no one would be willing to pay that amount for him if Chelsea had to ship him.
    It's not Chelsea who've paid over the odds for them though, it's Abramovich. As long as they'd be able to offload them quickly in the event of Abramovich leaving they'd be fine, they'd get a few million for the privilege of not having to pay their wages anymore.

So unless he decided to sell all their players to get his money back, then piss off :), i think they'd be alright. Anyway at this point i think its only wishful thinking.

Question is would they be able to get rid of them all quickly and at a decent price? Also getting rid of players can mean you end up in a Leeds situation of going from Champions League semi-finalists to being involved in a relegation fight.

Depends on when it would happen and what players they'd have. If it happened now, they'd be alright - they'd sell off most of their big new signings, and probably try and re-work some of their existing contracts... they'd end up with a side fairly similar to what they had before Abramovich, albeit a bit better paid and probably lower on morale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Jank why is it a bad thing that the clubs want to make money?

I'd wager a bet that every club in every division is run by people who want to make money. Otherwise it wouldn't be viable economically and no money would be put into the game.

Just because united are particuarly good at running their club, and run the club like a business, it doesn't mean that they don't also want to play football for the fun of it aswell :)

Anyway, I'd say most players play because of the money they get mostly, and then because of the love of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    As a few people have said already, why is the title of this thread "the richest club in the world"? Cletic and Leeds are both in debt and are still in the top 20.

Just to Clarify this point. The titile I put on the thread was "United still Top The Money
    League" which you can see on the first thread. The Title now being used is actually from the third thread which was a new thread but it was merged with mine because of the similarity of subjects. I,m sure it was an genuine oversight on the mods part who mixed up the thread title.

Originally posted by jank
    chelsea i see is mentioned a fair bit too and arsenal not that much but yet again i am the villian here:ninja:

Very Arsene Wenger there!! Poor Jank is being picked on... Everyone say ahhh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    Very Arsene Wenger there!! Poor Jank is being picked on... Everyone say ahhh

Get it on topic or do not post JTG, if you want to continue Jank Bashing that is fine but you will not continue to do so on the soccer forum, that goes for the rest of ye too (about the on topicness, rather than the Jank bashing which sounds a bit obscene really...)

Advertisement