Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Payroll problems

Options
  • 03-03-2004 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭

Hi
    My Company last year introduced flexible bennefits for everyone but since it was late in the year it was at first just paid out in cash.
    Since new year that amount has been reduced to reflect on the health and pension scemes we have opted for.
    Now our company payroll suddenly say that they have paid us too much in flexible bennefits last year and they want it back.
    My question is, can they legaly do this and if so does that mean your payslip is worth nothing from a legal point of view?
    This is not huge amounts but still it would have some effect on my life and i really did not have any way of knowing how much we could expect in this new flex thing.
    Any advice, preferably legal stuff would be apreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What does your contract say (the signed version)?

Kick up a fuss and demand that they at least meet you half way, seeing as that money is now effectively spent (on SSIA, mortgage, car, something that makes you look like a responsible spender) and that you be given time to pay it back.

BTW do you have an option of getting commutter tickets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Nitrox

My Contract says nothing about what happens if the payroll department makes mistakes, so i have never signed anything about repayment in this kind of situation.
    Yes, we are able to get commuter tickets, but you have to get the most expensive option and pay for a whole year which make it cheaper to just pay each week only for the distance i need to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Legally, you do owe them the money and you must repay it. Even if a bank incorrectly deposits money in your account, you still owe them the money and you must repay it. Your best bet is to do a bit of haggling and try to repay them over a certain period (maybe the same period to which the original error applied), so that you pay it back in a fairly painless manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by RainyDay
    Legally, you do owe them the money and you must repay it.
    .... assuming they are right.

Advertisement