Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hoddle pulls out of Saints job !

• 03-03-2004 1:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

Glenn Hoddle has withdrawn his application for the Saints job.
    The former England coach had been widely linked with a return to the club
    he deserted in favour of Tottenham three years ago this month.

At one stage the appointment had been widely viewed as a formality but
    fans were split on the idea of welcoming him back.
    Saints chairman Rupert Lowe is continuing to keep his counsel but
    confirmed: "He was an option but if he has withdrawn his candidacy then
    he is no longer an option."

He stressed the club are continuing the hunt for a new manager but there
    is still no indication of who or when that will be.
    Steve Wigley has agreed to remain as caretaker boss until the end of the
    season if need be or until the new man is brought in.

And its about damn time too! As far as I'm concerned the guy hasn't got a clue how to manage and lacks in very basic common sense. How he could expect Saints fans to accept him back after abandoning us and then trying to poach our best players baffles me. Anyway, thats all in the past now. Hopefully now we can appoint someone who will take us places.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

to say he hasnt a clue how to manage may be a bit harsh as he was pretty successful in different spells in different places and did alot of word progressing southampton from strugglers to a more forward looking team,but his personal managment skills 1to1 with individuals(which you will always have in a team) seem very amatuer/immature

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Jones did an exellent job, he may yet save Wolves too!

So whos free?

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

He doesn't like people who will stand up to him at all. To be honest I think it was bad form for Rupert Lowe to consider him after he walked out on the club in the first place. You'd think the chairman would have more sense and surely there are better managers out there than Hoddle. Le Tissier would do a better job imo - although I don't think good old Matt should get the job although whoever the new boss is could make a worse decision than making Matt his #2 :)

Originally posted by James R
    Le Tissier would do a better job imo - although I don't think good old Matt should get the job although whoever the new boss is could make a worse decision than making Matt his #2 :)

I have difficulty seeing Le Tessier turning up to supervise training on a foggy winters morning!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

from skysports

Plymouth boss Paul Sturrock has emerged as the favourite to be named the new Southampton manager following Glenn Hoddle's decision to withdraw his interest.
    Sturrock is believed to be in talks with Southampton about taking over from Gordon Strachan at St Mary's and an announcement could be made as soon as Wednesday.

now thats a surprise... :dunno:

Originally posted by Johnny_the_fox
    now thats a surprise... :dunno:

It must be a south coast thing!

http://www.ananova.com/sport/soccer/league_tables.html?div=D2&menu=sport.football

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

Not really. Southampton have traditionally gone to the lower divisions/recently sacked managers to get their man in the past and looks like they're doing it again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I'm absolutely delighted at the decision to appoint Paul Sturrock, a manager with a proven quality. He has done an outstanding job at Plymouth, taking them from bottom of the 3rd division to top of the 2nd on a shoestring budget, and in the space of 4 years. They're 4 points clear top of the 2nd division at the moment, having scored 70 goals in 34 games already. Hopefully he will build on the great job Strachan has done, and altough I dont expect much from the rest of this season, maybe we can get Europe again for 2006.

I've heard from a few different sources that Plymouth feel that Southampton have done the same thing to them that Spurs did to Southampton in taking Hoddle, but I don't agree. Of course they will feel agrieved, but Hoddle left without a whisper, either to the saints fans or players. And as the Southampton website clearly states, Hoddle took a step backwards in joining Spurs, Sturrock is taking a huge step forward. It also states that he had a clause in his contract allowing him to leave Plymouth should a Premiership team come in for him. So its not right for their vice-president to criticise Southampton for approaching him.

Theres a funny anecdote about Sturrocks much-publicised heart troubles a few years back, when he collapsed in the dugout during a Scottish league game, and apparently rang from the ambulance to make a substitution. He'll never match the legendary character status of Strachan, but maybe he'll come close!

Anyhoo, this news brightened up my day no end, and hopefully the next few years will be bright too.

Advertisement