Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where now for iol, utv and eircom?

• 03-03-2004 3:02pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So the new packages have been announced for the big three, and each package has its merits and failings (except for Eircom, which when compared to the others, just has failings:D )
    Anyway, assuming that no price drops/cap rises/speed rises occour in the coming months, what kind of offers would you like to see from the BB3?

As a BB noob, id like to see some kind of promise from a company where if they dont have you fully set up within (lets just say) 2 weeks of your order being sent in, you get your 1st month free....
    I also think IOLs free net security pack is a nice little extra.

I know there isnt alot to offer when the afore mentioned arent going to change, but i think the sign up offers could be more enticing (something like a free game, or webcam or something, so you can utilise the higher speeds).

Or even a non-drop guarentee, where they promise some kind of compensation if your disconnected while online.... maybe a few % off your next bill.... t'would be nice

Flogen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

While the idea of there being a bonus to the customer when the various ISPs cant get there act togeather to provide a service in a set time frame, it will never happen.

The Norton Internet Security package while being a nice idea is not ment to be the most great software due to it interfering with other windows operations. So say the reviews anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the software iol give you is only a 3 month trial so i heard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    the software iol give you is only a 3 month trial so i heard
    Yep its just a trial, anyway free trinkets are not what I'm looking for when buying BB; no cap would be far better then a free shiny cd FFS!:mad:. Having to constantly check my allowance and wondering whether I have enough to actually download something or not is just not cool :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭^pt^

It'd be nice to start raising the speed and catch up on those 2mbit lines for €40/month in some parts of europe. That's not even counting the 10 and 100mbit lines! Since eircom is reselling it though I guess it's up to them, unless the other ISPs start upgrading a lot of exchanges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

removal of caps and upping the bandwidth would be better than freebies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

I think if there were no caps everyone would be happy with that. Then they could start droping the price and offering 1MB and 2MB connections :D

Originally posted by ^pt^
    It'd be nice to start raising the speed and catch up on those 2mbit lines for €40/month in some parts of europe. That's not even counting the 10 and 100mbit lines! Since eircom is reselling it though I guess it's up to them, unless the other ISPs start upgrading a lot of exchanges.

there's no point upping the speed
    increasing the speed will just mean that you smash your cap quicker
    unless of course they remove caps.

which i don't see happening

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭^pt^

there's no point upping the speed
    of course there is :) I don't like waiting

Originally posted by ^pt^
    of course there is :) I don't like waiting

so if they upped the speed to 1mbit it mean your basically getting infomation twice as fast therefore you use cap a lot quicker hence the point of it being pointless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

so if they upped the speed to 1mbit it mean your basically getting infomation twice as fast therefore you use cap a lot quicker hence the point of it being pointless
    You'll only use up your cap faster if you actually download extra data. If you download the same amount of data at twice the speed you're not really using up your download allowance any faster

(very technically you are using up your cap faster but it won't make any difference at the end of the month for the ten seconds you spend downloading something as opposed to 20)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

Originally posted by sceptre
    You'll only use up your cap faster if you actually download extra data. If you download the same amount of data at twice the speed you're not really using up your download allowance any faster

(very technically you are using up your cap faster but it won't make any difference at the end of the month for the ten seconds you spend downloading something as opposed to 20)

because "whatever" you are downloading gets downloaded quicker you could spend longer actually "using" what you downloaded

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

eventually when broadband gets widespread across the whole country the caps may dissapear i reckon in a couple years time when the exchanges are upgraded with more bandwidth, for the moment all we can hope is that the caps continue to improve every 6 months or so. The caps exist becuase the backhaul support or whatever its called is not good enough but I feel the caps could be alot higher without actually slowing down the networks, 30gb a month would prolly still be ok for everyone, that'd be 1gig a day but if everyone was given freedom to download 24/7 no cap then the current network would prolly grind to a halt like netsource did a few months ago. What I really want is no freebies, no higher speeds as its not needed but for eircom to upgrade those backhauls and thus removal of caps then id be very very happy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

forgot to mention also another important thing, eircom could do with the removing of the stupid interleaving on both broadband residential and business products:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

I'd like to see done something about the ADSL prices next. There's now a huge price jump when you want something more than the basic RADSL packages.
    forgot to mention also another important thing, eircom could do with the removing of the stupid interleaving on both broadband residential and business products
    I think the option to disable your interleaving would be better. The only people who are bothered by it are gamers.

Advertisement