Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buy Windscreen Cover!

Options
  • 03-03-2004 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

The windscreen on my 190e was stone chipped a couple of weeks ago, a crack appeared and is now extending slowly across my field of vision. I checked the price of a new screen - €400 :eek:

I don't have cover on my insurance policy as I was looking to keep overheads down last summer. Boy was that an error, I should have checked and then included the windscreen.

Message - Dont Do What I Did!

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Happened to a friend recently. He had it covered to a value up to 400EUR:D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mike,
    can you live with it until you renew your insurance (with windscreen cover!) and then claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭K2

windscreen cover and breakdown assistance is so cheap these days that nobody should motor without either. The windscreen cover includes all glass so any break in's are also covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Perhaps you could get an injection of a windscreen repair compound done to tide you over until you are insured for a replacement. Naturally, claiming in the future for this damage may not be 100% honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by kbannon
    Mike,
    can you live with it until you renew your insurance (with windscreen cover!) and then claim?

No chance my NCT is up in a month, it'll fail with the crack as it is.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

I'm sure a good breakers yard will have 2nd hand stocks of the windscreen you require, shouldn't be too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

How many places did you try for quotes? Last November some f***ers broke my windscreen outside my house. Did 3 others the same night. I had windscreen cover on my policy but there was some admin error so I ended up calling a few companies. I rang places like All Glass, Autoglass. They were all about 400 yoyos for my car which is 11 years old this year. Naturally I rang a few more places. Ended up going with a different company; cannot recall name now, but will check the car when I get home.
    Anyhow it cost me 180 to get the windscreen replaced. So ring around, don't take the first quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

Hey,
    If your mum/dad/partner/friend has windscreen cover on their car , most buys in car glass companies will "fit the window to their car", on paper but in reality they change your window. They dont care as the insurance company pay them regardless!!
    I have done this.
    P.S. I am not condoning fraud, it was sugested by the glass co....
    Gibo

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by a_ominous
    They were all about 400 yoyos for my car which is 11 years old this year. Naturally I rang a few more places. Ended up going with a different company; cannot recall name now, but will check the car when I get home.
    Any chance of that name? My car has what looks like a bullet dent on the windscreen (and a crack in the corner). I'm insured up to about 250 euros and I'd rather not pay any of my own money on top

(ta muchy)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Originally posted by leeroybrown
    Perhaps you could get an injection of a windscreen repair compound done to tide you over until you are insured for a replacement. Naturally, claiming in the future for this damage may not be 100% honest.

How much does this cost? And where can it be done? I have a stone chip on my windscreen and I know it will expand with time.

I'm in Galway, does anyone know any places that do it or any Nationwide places? (Like AA? Or advane-stop or nethin the likes?)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭musician.ie

The difference in price for consumers is shocking. I got mine changed under insurance, and got a copy of the invoice. The price was 380 yoyos, but the insurance company discount reduced that to 190. That is really screwing private individuals. They obviously make an acceptable profit on the 190, so 380 is taking the p**s

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

Agreed Mike65 - my car was broken into just before Christmas and the passenger window was smashed in. Rang insurance company (Hibernian) and was informed that i didn't have windscreen cover and would have to pay for it myself. Had a huge argument on the phone with them - was very angry over the fact that in November i had payed them the best part of a grand for the year and when it came to it they just stuck up their 2 fingers at me. What the bloody point in insurance if you're not automatically covered for events like this?

Advertisement