Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Elections

Options
  • 03-03-2004 3:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭

How come no one's talking about the US elections?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Sheesh...

you discuss the US, and you get told off for sticking your nose into other nations affairs....
    you don't discuss the US, and people want to know why...

:)

For a more serious answer...perhaps you could explain how nobody discussing the election has managed to fill a 3-page thread thats still active here.

There have been others, but lets face it...up to now its been the Democratic race...not the election.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Hopefully, Kerry will haunt Bush over the next number of months. Bush has absolutely hijacked the moral ground again.

He is using pictures of 9/11 as a political vehicle.

The US is a great country and hopefully they Kerry will do the business for the democrats. It won't be an easy task to unseat Bush.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Christ, I agreed with Cork there, I must be ill. I hope it isn't the touch of death. :)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

yea a good deal of americans dont agree fully with bush and wish to see a change from him but when these people go abroad mainly to europe they experience such anti american feeling that they begin to rally to bushes defence because no one likes to hear their country been run down by foreigners. an american friend of mine and i were nearly in a fight in a chipper because this ejit started shouting "what the f**k are you doing here yank, why the f**k do you not stay out of peoples business"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Many Americans are very supportive of bush & it will be hard to unseat him.

www.freerepublic.com

This website is poor but it gives an interesting insight into George Ws supporters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I found this link on that site Cork posted...

Neck Like A Jockey's Bo**ox
    FReepers Against Voter Fraud! The whole point of this exercise is to get more conservative voters involved in changing the laws to close loopholes which make it easy to cheat, to promote the enforcement of existing election laws and to take part in the election process at the local level all with the goal of intercepting future fraud campaigns. In other words our goal is to STOP THE RATS FROM HIJACKING THE ELECTION PROCESS AND TAKE OUR COUNTRY BACK!

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I like that subtle touch of rationality mixed in with a whole load of bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Originally posted by Cork
    Many Americans are very supportive of bush & it will be hard to unseat him.
    www.freerepublic.com
    This website is poor but it gives an interesting insight into George Ws supporters.

It does indeed:
    http://www.democraticunderground.com/articles/02/01/04_review2.html
    Less than two weeks after pleading no contest to charges of underage drinking, First daughters Barbara and Jenna Bush are arrested for illegally trying to buy alcohol at a restaurant using someone else's identification. Police respond to a 911 call Tuesday evening from the manager of Chuy's restaurant who said minors were trying to buy alcohol. The right-wing website Free Republic publishes the address, home phone and social security number of the manager, and its members launch a campaign of death threats and harassment. Ironically, the twins are breaking a "zero tolerance" law signed by their dad as governor of Texas; however, the penalty other teens receive are waived in their cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Originally posted by spanner
    yea a good deal of americans dont agree fully with bush and wish to see a change from him but when these people go abroad mainly to europe they experience such anti american feeling that they begin to rally to bushes defence because no one likes to hear their country been run down by foreigners. an american friend of mine and i were nearly in a fight in a chipper because this ejit started shouting "what the f**k are you doing here yank, why the f**k do you not stay out of peoples business"

I've had maybe one experience where someone was actually directing the criticism at me. Otherwise I've found that the vast majority of people spare their criticism for the government, and rightly so.
    Personally I'm not going to vote for Bush because some drunken, inbred, soapdodgin' scumbag starts freaking out at me. :D
    Nevermind that a small percentage of Americans have ever been outside it's borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

We're aware that Bush is a scumbag, no-one's going to dispute that, but it's going to be damn hard to unseat him.

He's got clever backers and a lot of money. He's used patriotism, ecomonic growth and "strength through bombing **** out of smaller countries" to his benefit, and he's a slick operator, in that he has an excellent production team producing smooth-talking videos and speechs.

To see what I mean, take a look at his campaign videos. (you'll need a bittorrent client and windows media player)

Like Avril Lavigne, you may not like her, I may not like her, you know she's a puppet, but she still sells a whole lot of records.

• Advertisement

Just watching a CNN interview with Gallup. I was a mite surprised that Kerry is leading Bush by a 2% margin with registered voters, and a 6% margin with likely voters. Nader is taking voters away from Kerry and not Bush, which is to be expected, but the lower swing in likely voters is encouraging. I was more surprised that this actually represents a decline for Kerry -- I obviously haven't been paying attention. Bush's approval rating is down two point to 49% too, and Gallup seems to think that it needs to be above 50%, although it's early days yet. You can see these stats here.

One thing that was in the CNN piece and not in that release is issues that will decide the presidency. Voters seem to have Kerry down as better able to deal with the economy, but once again I was a bit surprised with the amount of people putting the economy above terrorism when it comes to issues that will decide the presidency -- it was a pretty respectable majority. Kerry needs to leverage that and not get into mindless debates with "the war president" on terrorism he simply can't win (because the issue is so mindless in itself).

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Based on those number, Bush is going to have a hard time beating Kerry:
    Among likely voters, an even higher 83% say they will not change their minds -- with 45% voting for Kerry and 38% for Bush.

45% certain to vote for Kerry? That's big.

Of course, there's always the darn margin of error to contend with :dunno:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Originally posted by shotamoose
    Of course, there's always the darn margin of error to contend with :dunno:

...eight months,electronic voting machines and Jeb Bush's Election Committee. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Unfortunately due to Bush's meglomaniac foreign policy the US elections are something the whole world has to have an interest in. Its going to be very difficult for Kerry to win but if he gets Edwards on board as a running mate it will hopefully unite the Democrats and lead them back to the White House

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Bush could always pull the rabbit out of his hat

... in other words, a woman as running mate.

Screw them both, Oprah for Prez.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kanurocks

I just want bush out full stop.If you read "stupid white men" youll see how he got the presidency .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

a LOT of time left until the election. Both sides have skeletons in the closet. Bush hardly needs explanation (oil, supposed election rigging etc.). Kerry's scandals on the other hand will be new to the electorate. Theres supposed to be issues about the awarding of his purple heart. He's also supposed to have been involved with some dodgy anti Vietnam group> I say dodgy in the sense that they hyped up the actual events that occured there. If those issues are attacked by Bush in the right manner say a month before the election, Kerry could experience serious electoral damage. Bush on the other hand, well I don't think theres anything NEW to chuck at him. So I'd say Bush is doing pretty well to be at 38%. Kerry's got at least 4 months of mud slinging before the election to get through.

Advertisement