Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilbane off to Madrid?

• 03-03-2004 4:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭

Welcome to TEAMtalk´s Everton News Headlines for Tuesday, March 02, 2004 at 06:40

To read more of today's Everton news or have your say on this story why not click back to the TEAMtalk website.

Surprise guests at Carlisle Grounds

Modest League of Ireland outfit Bray Wanderers will entertain Everton tonight in a game designed to give many of the Toffees' returning first-teamers a run-out.

But, while many fans will be disappointed at the absence of teenage prodigy Wayne Rooney, there will be many surprise guests looking at Everton's other stars. None other than Real Madrid supremo, Carlos Queiroz, will be visiting Ireland to run the rule over home international Kevin Kilbane. Having received glowing reports from Brazilian duo, Roberto Carlos and Ronaldo, after a recent friendly in Dublin, Queiroz is said to have been tracking the left winger for some time.

''Certainly, Madrid is always looking at Europe's best players but at this time, we will not comment on any speculation on other clubs' players,'' said Queiroz, perhaps hinting at recent criticism of his overtures to Premiership hotshots Henry and Van Nistelroy. ''For now, we will continue to endeavour to sign one 'Galactico' per season and while Kilbane may fit that description, so do another half-dozen European players.''

It will come as no surprise to Everton and Ireland fans alike that the resurgent former Sunderland man is attracting admirers. His recent man-of-the-match performances against the likes of Manchester United and Arsenal have made him the envy of many Premiership managers. And his continued selection ahead of £17million man Damien Duff is testament to the esteem in which he is held within the Ireland squad.

Indeed, many home and opposition fans have taken to dubbing him 'Kinedine Kilbane', in reference to Real's current World Player of the Year.
    Perhaps this may prove an prophetic label if Mr Queiroz has his way this summer.

:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

:eek:

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

no

no he isn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

Originally posted by bucks73

It will come as no surprise to Everton and Ireland fans alike that the resurgent former Sunderland man is attracting admirers. His recent man-of-the-match performances against the likes of Manchester United and Arsenal have made him the envy of many Premiership managers. And his continued selection ahead of £17million man Damien Duff is testament to the esteem in which he is held within the Ireland squad.

...as you all know, not an entirley acurate report, suggesting he's keepng Duff out of the team, as Duff was injured for the Brazil game. But Kerr has played the on-form Kilbane on the left wing the last year with Duff up front.

Won't happen but he did give the Brazilains a good go at Lansdowne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Why are people taking this seriously?

I mean Kinedine Kilbane! Come on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Originally posted by mike65
    :eek:

Mike.

I second that :eek:

Nurse! I believe that's my jaw over there on the floor?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

hahahahahahahahahahh good man bucks ,musta taken ya a while to write that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by bucks73
    ''For now, we will continue to endeavour to sign one 'Galactico' per season and while Kilbane may fit that description, so do another half-dozen European players.

such as Andy Cole, Stan Lazaradis and Eddie McGoldrick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Having received glowing reports from Brazilian duo, Roberto Carlos and Ronaldo

One would assume that Carlos Queiroz would have seen Kilbane a few times while he was at Utd. even if Kilbane was in Division 1 with Sunderland at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

AC Milan are also preparing reported six figure deals to tempt Terry Phelan and Alan Kernaghan out of retirement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Did you actually write all that Bucks?:ninja:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Originally posted by Dustaz
    such as Andy Cole, Stan Lazaradis and Eddie McGoldrick.

Hey! Don't be dissing the legend that is Eddie Mac. He played for Arsenal once, so he did !

Originally posted by plastic membrane
    Hey! Don't be dissing the legend that is Eddie Mac. He played for Arsenal once, so he did !

Theyre still looking for the ball from his missed peno v barca :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭bdiddy

true story, Real want to tune things down a bit. They're bringin in Kilbane and McAteer to replace Beckam and Figo. Roumor has it that they are also llokin at Taibi for goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

im sick of these stupid rumours about crap players going to big world class clubs. heskey to ac milan, kilbane to madrid, andy reid to ac milan (decent player but come on its ac milan) , harte to barcelona.

None of them will ever happen, now come on a bit of cop on should tell u madrid wont go anywere near kilbane. its not even funny anymore, there's no truth in any of them whatsoever and its a complete waste of time and space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭donhughberto

I am signing for man u in summer lol, more chance of that than kilbane and andy reid moving to one of worlds top five clubs. Not championship manager in here and if it was these guys would need more than an editor to rate higher. God it is fun but for god sakes wake up and smell the bacon!

Originally posted by smemon
    im sick of these stupid rumours about crap players going to big world class clubs. heskey to ac milan, kilbane to madrid, andy reid to ac milan (decent player but come on its ac milan) , harte to barcelona.

None of them will ever happen, now come on a bit of cop on should tell u madrid wont go anywere near kilbane. its not even funny anymore, there's no truth in any of them whatsoever and its a complete waste of time and space.
    I think this one is more of a joke than a rumour.:p As for Reid to Milan, that was probably another joke as I only heard it from one person (seanah) and he said he didn't know if it was actually true. The Harte to Barcelona actually had a little bit of truth in it AFAIK.

It wasnt Harte, it was Breen and apparently he was in barcelona for talks after the last world cup.

It wasnt Harte, it was Breen and apparently he was in barcelona for talks after the last world cup.
    Harte was linked too.
    http://football.guardian.co.uk/print/0,3858,4480865-103,00.html

Harte was one of our best players when he was about 23/24 so it wasn't actually a big shock that Barca were interested.

BTW - What a thread.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭donhughberto

Both have been paper linked to barcelona, breen was on a bosman at that time after a decent world cup and harte was kicking in every second free kick when he was linked!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Was Breen not linked with Inter after the World Cup too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Kilbane Off To Madrid

LOL

THis thread is a month early, I expected to see " He Got a great deal on a package Holiday" ot similar comment when I opened it.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Zinedine Kilbane. World Cup hero. Hunk. Bona Fide Legend. Pay tribute to Ireland's own football magician...

A Tribute To Zinedine Kilbane
    Every generation a player comes along who makes the admission price to a match worthwhile all on his own. Zinedine Kilbane is one such player. A man of great pace, a scorer of great goals, a dribbler of great dribbles.

Zinedine Kilbane, THIS IS YOUR LIFE.

Zinedine Kilbane was born in Preston on February 1st 1977, the thirteenth child in a large Ango-Irish family. Whilst still only a young lad, Zinedine was spotted kicking the ball ten yards ahead of him and running after it by the then Preston scout, Donnie Halstaff. Halstaff asked him to come along to a Preston training session and the rest, as they say is history.

Looking back on Kilbane's years at Preston North End, Halstaff says with a tear in his eye: "I'd been scouting for forty years and I'd never seen anything as graceful. And I'm a big fan of ballet so that's saying something."

In the intervening years, Kilbane was to draw similar attention from many quarters. Not since the days of Tom Finney had Preston played host to a talent like this. Every week that he pulled on the famous Preston NE shirt Ziinedine treated the fans to the Kilbane turn, overhead kicks, blistering pace and V-signs. The second division had never known anything quite like it. It hadn't gone unnoticed down at WBA, either.

In 1997, on Friday the 13th, Gary Megson smashed WBA's transfter record and brought Kilbane to the Hawthorns for a staggering £1.25 million euro. Megson saw the potential in playing a footballer with two natural left feet on the left wing and thus, a star was born.

In his first season at the club, he ran past three players and crossed the ball once- a record he still holds at WBA. It's at this point, you might say to yourself, "where to from here?" You've got the flash Hyundai with alloy wheels, the designer flat in West Brom and you're adored by tens of screaming relatives. Well, there's probably only one place to go to better yourself: Sunderland.

You'll never make it on to the all time greatest Irish players without playing at Wearside at least once. In his time at Sunderland, together with obsessive tactician Peter Reid, Kilbane developed a style of football which became known the world over as "Totally ****e Football."

The style was based on a system of tactics involving lack of movement and
    hoofing the ball up to an oversized striker and hope that he could do something
    with it.

Sunderland were relegated in its trial period. This culminated in a bad period for Kilbane and the fans at Wearside. Many will recall the infamous night when he stopped off at the Majestyk Night Club in Leeds, only to be chased and viciously beaten by a group of Asian youths who shouted abuse at him as he lay on the ground.

Fortunately, David Moyes came to the rescue with an offer to take Kilbane to Everton. Kilbane accepted the move, despite a distinct sheepishness about leaving Mick McCarthy, who had taken the helm at Sunderland. "I spoke to Mick on the telephone and despite the fact that he was laughing a lot and it sounded as if there was a party in the background, he seemed devastated. Even so, I knew it was a move I had to make."

Kilbane's affect on Everton has been phenomenal. Premiership right backs are looking at the subs bench week-in, week-out wondering when the time will come when Zizou will be unleashed onto a football pitch once again. When asked, David Moyes is coy: "Aye," he says, "I'm not saying anything. I'm too coy."

Zinedine Kilbane, we salute you.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭[DF]Lenny

OMG some1 lock this thread ...Quick!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bribren2001

Hey scruff- mad stuff there-but twas a good laf!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

what about this rubbish now that duff is under threat from robben now that he has signed for chelsea,HELLO duff is the star man at chelsea, without him they loose alot of their attacking play, if only he had signed for my team liverpool as we are a right mess at the moment, oh does anyone support the league of ireland in here and if so what team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    Did you actually write all that Bucks?:ninja:

Nope. I pasted it from a mail I got from a mate.

Advertisement