Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish 4 Fones

Options
  • 03-03-2004 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

Just noticed a new site www.fish4fones.ie , through Silicon Republic/PR thingy

They have quiet a lot of new phones including the 7600 and the 3660, but no 6600.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Michelangelo

They look reasonable and seem ok. Anyone ever used them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

I think they only started reciently, there was a story on them in enn.com.

Its about time we had an Irish website offering a good range of SIM free phones!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

To be honest, I dont think I would buy from them. The site just shouts unprofessional at me!

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    To be honest, I dont think I would buy from them. The site just shouts unprofessional at me!

Eh?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

The site is good but not great.

They have quiet a good range of products but two things i noticed one more important that the other.

1. Order details are not encrypted via SSL/HTTPS! Not Good!!!

2. Spotted a typo for 'bluetooth' as 'blutooth'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

they got a million € in funding and thats the best site they could come up with????

Something wrong somewhere and I thought it was hard to get funding these days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

a million isn't a huge amount of money to start a business with! i'd reckon they are just trying to get up and running with a functional site which is nice to look at, they aren't in the league of komplett yet!

I say good luck to them!

and I hope no startup is spending a million on their web site any more!!

I think their site is fine in every sense. Ok maybe it doesn't have ssl making it a slight worry but I say you would be fine in all cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭silent

how can you run a webbiz and not have ssl setup even for the smallest of transactions/personal data is beyond me. This is 04 not 95! not having ssl for creditcard details is asking for big trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Site looked OK I thought but the lack of ssl for payments is madness but I'm more worried by the fact that when you click to buy it says "secure online payments"

Doesn' t take a lot of time or effort to get a key.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jacq34

I ordered a phone no probs, Speakeasy. I asked them about security – they HAVE SSL and are waiting for Verisign logo to go live on the site. They also mentioned “encryption protocols” across all communication. Anyway, there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Your details are sent to us using the latest encryption technology

In all fairness, this does not mean the site is safe. If I dont see a pad lock or https or something else that signifies some sort of security, i am very wary.

http://www.fish4fones.ie/app_phone.asp?name=Nokia%203100&price=221&type=SimFree

Nothing on the Credit Card form suggests that this site is secure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

Does anyone know what happened the original of the species - Irishmobiles.com?

In the early days they generated lots of publicity, won various webby awards and were high profile sponsors of sports events. Local Ireland still advises tourists to email info@irishmobiles.com for information on mobile telephony at their Irish destination.

But alas their domain name has apparently been acquired by Bachmann Communications which appears be nothing more than a shadowy directory service. Does anyone know what happened?

I'm personally delighted that Fish4Fones have taken up the baton and will likely be doing business with them when the Nokia 7700 becomes available in April (hopefully).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -Jim.
    http://eirepreneur.blogs.com

Advertisement