Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cerebus #300

Options
  • 03-03-2004 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭

Well the comic book that has been written and drawn over the course of 25 years (my entire life span) by only one man comes to an end this month. Dave Sim did something amazing with Cerebus, but quite obviously went insane over the course of it's completion. I don't think there has ever been a body of work, even in literature, that compares to 6000 pages and has taken over a quater of a century to complete.

Personally i think that High Society is one of the most entertaining comics ive ever read. I spent three summer months in 1996 reading everything from Cerebus #1 to the beginnings of Guys, covering High Society, Church and State, Jaka's Story (which, at the end, has one of the most shocking turns of pace i've ever read or seen)and Mothers and Daughters. It was the best thing about a lousy summer and its always stayed with me. Which is why i was so downheartened when it all went a bit pear shaped and Sim just completely lost it. I stopped buying it a long time ago, but i will buy the last one, just as a final salute.

Anybody with thoughts, questions, criticisms ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

never heard of it. got any more info on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭dr_manhattan

ah, cerebus... sorry plastic, I followed you here from your post under 'watchmen', heh - and when I saw the subject matter I thought, well that's appropriate ;-)

I've never really *got* cerebus, which is kinda odd: everyone I know (who digs comics) loves it - dave sim seems like a lovable misanthrope (and he devoted his letters page to a faxing session with alan moore for a few months, i I must salute him) but I just... never got it.

The way that everyone, when you say "i don't get it" explains that we all know cerebus will die by issue 300, and all of that, as if it makes it so clear then why the reasonably entertaining yet kinda sorta totally irrelevant antics of an aardvark with a sword and his life and loves should be worth dave sim's entire life (and from what you say, his sanity)

So yeah, the only time I ever read cerebus was reading 'church & state' when I was... in mental hospital (not kidding, I just thought it'd be funny as a detail cos plastic told me I was a bit mad, haha).

And given that, whilst recovering from this nervous breakdown I read more voraciously than ever, and read some awful ****e (I even re-read 'the odessa file' when I ran out of material... and that is such a bad book ;-))

And yet I STILL was only vaguely entertained. I feel like the guy from the watchmen thread now:

why is cerebus so good? Anyone answer?

cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Never got into Cerebus anf I really really tried. Read all the graphic novels which was about 15 of then but it just never clicked in for me.

Advertisement