Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you run 2 routers on the same BB line

• 03-03-2004 6:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know if it is possible to run 2 BB routers down the same DSL line with different (fixed) IP address?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭^pt^

That's kind of a strange question, what are you trying to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Nuttzz
    Does anyone know if it is possible to run 2 BB routers down the same DSL line with different (fixed) IP address?
    The short answer is no. The longer answer will depend, as ^pt^ suggests, on what you are trying to achieve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

run two networks with different ip/subnet ranges with different firewalls down teh same BB line

run two networks with different ip/subnet ranges with different firewalls down teh same BB line

Sure you can. (they'll all have to be NATted to a single address, which may cause some problems, though).

But you still haven't told us waht you're actually trying to achieve. (Why do you need two different ip/subnet ranges?).

a friend wants me to test his server and BB connections for a network he is putting in, he would like to have the BB configured (it wont be installed for a week or two) so I said i would try but i dont want my own network off the net.

• Advertisement

a friend wants me to test his server and BB connections for a network he is putting in, he would like to have the BB configured (it wont be installed for a week or two) so I said i would try but i dont want my own network off the net.
    Huh? His network and servers are just going to be using 192.168.whatever anyway, so why not just stick them on your network and be done with it?

no his is 10.255.***.*** mine is a 192.168.***.***, i dont really want to add another DC or DCHP server on to the network ( i.e. a machine that thinks its a DC or forces an election)

no his is 10.255.***.*** mine is a 192.168.***.***, i dont really want to add another DC or DCHP server on to the network ( i.e. a machine that thinks its a DC or forces an election)
    You don't have to, just plus the WAN port on his router into one of the LAN ports on yours. Most of the stuff will work, pretty automatically, but if he actually wants to test any server functionality (ie connecting from the internet) then it's probably more trouble than it's worth.

it's probably more trouble than it's worth.

it seems so doesnt it :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

why cant he just change his address to suit your ip address range
    he will have to NAT anyway because 10.0.0.0 is a private address like 192.168.0.0
    the only difference is that their different classes
    seems easier for me to keep it on the one router just buy a swtich or something if he is fussy

• Advertisement
Advertisement