Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

firewall and bit torrent

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

you getting the green light on the torrents?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

yellow. not good eh? what should i do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Changed the Internal port: to 6881, had it set at 6999. light is green now but still downloading at a miserable 5k. is it always like this?

suppose it depends on the torrent now and how many peers and seeds you are connected to.

bah recently formatted my computer and am getting it up to speed, the modem was factory reseted however when i added the bittorrent pin hole using the instructions above by hudson it doesn't seem to be working this time?

i'm still stuck with the yellow light and crap bit torrent connections, anyone any ideas?

data

edit sorted mental note turn off windows in built firewall as well as norton

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    bah recently formatted my computer and am getting it up to speed, the modem was factory reseted however when i added the bittorrent pin hole using the instructions above by hudson it doesn't seem to be working this time?

i'm still stuck with the yellow light and crap bit torrent connections, anyone any ideas?

data

edit sorted mental note turn off windows in built firewall as well as norton

Norton? Norton firewall or antivirus?

I have my router port forwarding 6881 - 6999 inbound & outbound and also port 6969 outbound and I am still getting a yellow light. Thing is I've just reinstall windows. Before I didnt had to do anything with my router and I was geting the green light. Dont know what have changed.

i uninstalled norton firewall just to make sure it wasn't causing the issues and set my router up using the settings above, i still wasn't getting the green light but then i realised i had turned on the windows xp firewall to stop me getting the blaster worm as soon as i got online, when i turned this off and then restarted i was getting the green light and good download rates again. i have norton antivirus on now and its fine

data

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

I'm also getting yellow light.
    Im on XP home , and have a D-Link DI - 604 Ethernet Broadband Router.
    I went to my router homepage but couldn't find ;
    "Pinhole name: Bittorrent
    Protocol Select: TCP
    External port start: 6881
    External port finish: 6889
    Internal IP address [Whatever your PC ip address is]
    Internal port: 6881"
    anywhere.

Closest I found was :
    This it? If so what do I put where?

Name
    Trigger Port -
    Trigger Type TCP/UDP/Both
    Public Ports
    Public Type TCP/UDP/Both

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
    Adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

I am having the same prob on my Utv clicksilver on a iZyXEL Prestige 630-11 USB ADSL modem

have my xp firewalls turned off?anybody no how i can fix this errors?

did ya restart after knocking off the firewall i think that worked for me

other wise its a matter off going into your router and putting in a pin hole similar to the eircom one i presume

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

if you've opened the required ports (inbound and outbound!) the only thing that could cause problems is a software firewall, such as XP's built in one.

If you still can't get the thing downloading properly, try the following: Remove the external firewall (if possible) and just run off the software firewall. Then reenable the external, and disable the software.

If that still doesn't work, make sure you have all the latest service packs and windows patches, and then disable both firewalls, and see if it still works.

If THAT doesn't work, go into the Bittorrent client config, and change the ports that Bittorrent uses, it's possible your ISP is port blocking those specific ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

I dont know how to open ports on my router homepage :E
    XP firewall is turned off etc.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

RTFM then. That tells you everything.

Read the manual for your Bittorrent client, and write down what ports it needs (e.g. 6991-6999 in UDP - incoming and outgoing; 6123 in TCP outgoing only). Then read the manual for your router (if you don't have it, get it off the manufacturers website). Then open the ports.

BTW: I made those ports up, they may be right, but more than likely they're wrong.

Advertisement