Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom 3 - brought to you by..Nvidia

Options
  • 03-03-2004 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭

http://www.megagames.com/news/html/pc/idrecommendsnvidiafordoom3.shtml

Well great, so you can play doom3, and half life 2, but not on the same card?!
    *mutters angrily*

Im sure doom3 will run on an ati card..but bloody after shelling out on a 9800 pro now i find out it wont get the best out of doom 3!? ARGHHH!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

I wouldnt worry about that. ID are pissed off with ati for leaking the doom 3 demo, also nvidia just payed them a load of money to endorse the game. it'll run fine on an ati card.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

they promised that it would run on my laptops ati 9600 !
    bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

On a similar subject X2:the threat has a big Nvidia splash screen come up during loading...makes me smile ironically as my 9800se kicks into gear :D, although my MB is an Nforce2

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it will still run on ati cards

just nvidia cards will give like a 5fps increase

in all fairness it's the same with unreal tournament they have that logo

nvidia the way it's meant to be played.

it play fine on my 9800pro i don't see why doom3 won't

plus this is rather old news id have favoured nvidia for quite a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

nVidia propaganda.

There's nothing in the article that says it will be better than on an ATi card - they just use generic phrases like "lightning-fast frame-rates". The chances are it will be 5% faster on your current ATi card, as compared to any currently available nVidia card. Of course, the NV40 might be better than the R420, but nobody knows. Yet.

Don't be the victim of poxy marketing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

i dont get why people get so het up about media manipulation, course there gonna put made for nvidia on the box when there in partnership with them.

I have several games with the "way there meant to be played" title screen on them, I can turn everything upto full with AA and all the bells and whistles on No probs

Dont read into the hype, all us ATI owners will be well catered for when Doom 3 arrives and we can snigger derisively when HL2 appears and the shoe is on the other foot so to speak

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

It's utter horse****, tbh

I mean, the UT2k4 demo has that Nvidia tripe on the startup, and I run it on my Radeon 8500 at 1280x960 resolution, with high details and shadows, and I dont get a single bit of slowdown whatsoever.

I also get nearly 30fps on the Doom3 Beta.
    Although that does drop often enough.

So, all in all, I'm pretty sure that anyone here will run the game perfectly fine on an ATI card.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    it will still run on ati cards

just nvidia cards will give like a 5fps increase

in all fairness it's the same with unreal tournament they have that logo

nvidia the way it's meant to be played.

it play fine on my 9800pro i don't see why doom3 won't

plus this is rather old news id have favoured nvidia for quite a while now.
    Originally posted by L5
    I wouldnt worry about that. ID are pissed off with ati for leaking the doom 3 demo, also nvidia just payed them a load of money to endorse the game. it'll run fine on an ati card.

So I dont have to go on a mass killing spree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The performance won't be an issue on the ATI card. The ATI card may even perform better if you tweak the settings to suit it's strengths and any Doom3 specific weakness that may exist will no doubt be tweaked out in a subsequent driver release.

I thought the buggy leaked alpha looked fabulous on my ancient GeForce2TI (albeit at between 5 and 10 fps) so I'd be surprised if a player will notice the difference in game without 100 benchmark suites to tell them that one runs it 0.5% better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by AngelWhore
    It's utter horse****, tbh

I mean, the UT2k4 demo has that Nvidia tripe on the startup, and I run it on my Radeon 8500 at 1280x960 resolution, with high details and shadows, and I dont get a single bit of slowdown whatsoever.

I also get nearly 30fps on the Doom3 Beta.
    Although that does drop often enough.

So, all in all, I'm pretty sure that anyone here will run the game perfectly fine on an ATI card.

So it wouldnt be "utter horse $hit" if it refused to play on your ATI card?? What are you saying here... you hate that nVidia support developers with support, guidence and a big bag of cash? WTF, if you were NV, what would you want in return? I know Id want more than a 3 second logo, but thats seemingly is all nVidia *requires*. They merely remain hopeful that some benefit to their customers is apparent due to the close cooperation with Game Developers.

You should be thanking nVidia for advancing the PC Games business and bringing some much needed media attention, instead you are all getting your knickers in a not over a poxy animation.

Matt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by leeroybrown
    The performance won't be an issue on the ATI card. The ATI card may even perform better if you tweak the settings to suit it's strengths and any Doom3 specific weakness that may exist will no doubt be tweaked out in a subsequent driver release.
    yep, just have a look at the nvidia dawn demo if you need proof. designed explicitely for the fx series of cards, it'll run perfectly on a radeon once you've tricked it into thinking you're using nvidia hardware...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Both Valve and ID have made there beds with the graphics card makers, but neither of them are stupid enough to release games that run significantly slower on the "other" graphics cards.

At the end of the day Valve and Id want to sell as many copies as they can, they are going to optimise their games for both cards.

All this is just marketing crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

yep, just have a look at the nvidia dawn demo if you need proof. designed explicitely for the fx series of cards, it'll run perfectly on a radeon once you've tricked it into thinking you're using nvidia hardware...

How'd you do that than? Played it on the 9800 Pro the other nite and while good, once I put everything on full it was a bit jerky. I'd be interested to see the difference once tweeked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

i have a 9700 pro and i get that Nvidia splashscreen as well but i thought that was due to the Nforce2 on my motherboard
    when i had a 3dfx card i used to get the 3dfx splashscreen, so i just assumed that the games are picking up the Nforce

Dawn demo and hacks are old hat. Vulcan is a much more impressive demo.

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

^ Yeah what the guy a few posts ago said...
    It all runs through a standard d3d/opengl api anyway, it's not like they're going to sabotage the performance for ati users.
    My Radeon 9600pro performs very nicely in UT2004demo... the nVidia splashscreen is nothing more than an advertisment.

Originally posted by Matt Simis
    So it wouldnt be "utter horse $hit" if it refused to play on your ATI card?? What are you saying here... you hate that nVidia support developers with support, guidence and a big bag of cash? WTF, if you were NV, what would you want in return? I know Id want more than a 3 second logo, but thats seemingly is all nVidia *requires*. They merely remain hopeful that some benefit to their customers is apparent due to the close cooperation with Game Developers.

You should be thanking nVidia for advancing the PC Games business and bringing some much needed media attention, instead you are all getting your knickers in a not over a poxy animation.

Matt

No, you git... I'm stating that the notion of the game running on NVidia cards only is horse****, and I'm giving the UT2k4 comment as an example. I'm pretty sure that it was rather clear what I was saying, and the point I was making.

So please, STFU and stop putting words in my mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Ken, calm the fuck down.
    Matt knows what he's on about.
    Originally posted by SantaHoe
    ^ Yeah what the guy a few posts ago said...
    It all runs through a standard d3d/opengl api anyway, it's not like they're going to sabotage the performance for ati users.
    My Radeon 9600pro performs very nicely in UT2004demo... the nVidia splashscreen is nothing more than an advertisment.

well that's actually a consideration.
    A game's D3D engine might include specific code-paths to take advantage of a particular family/generation of cards.
    HL2 being an example.
    Apparently performed really well on ATi hardware whether it used the standard D3D code or the ATi optimised one, yet nVidia hardware ran it sub-par with either the standard or nVidia optimised codepaths.

Although OpenGL is a different kettle of fish (being opensource for one), there are nVidia OpenGL extensions and I don't remember ATi OpenGL performance (under windows) being anything to write home about.

Tbh, I'm currently running a GF4Ti4200, had a GF2Pro before that and a GForce256 before that, with a VooDoo2 and VooDoo1 before them.
    My next card will more than likely be an ATi, simply cos I like the way they're going, especially with they're approach to PCI-express support. ie native instead of bridged.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Yellow cards for Matt Simis and Angelwhore for flaming. Calm down lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

A game's D3D engine might include specific code-paths to take advantage of a particular family/generation of cards

Thats more than likely true X2 the threat has a "nividia" jobby as well and it runs around 10-20% better on Nividia cards than ati

Its all marketing lads big deal your only loseing out a few fps either way

• Advertisement

Originally posted by AngelWhore
    No, you git... I'm stating that the notion of the game running on NVidia cards only is horse****, and I'm giving the UT2k4 comment as an example. I'm pretty sure that it was rather clear what I was saying, and the point I was making.

So please, STFU and stop putting words in my mouth.

So where did the notion of "running on NVidia cards only" come from then? Everything Ive read used vague marketing language like "plays best on" or "the way its meant to be played"... The animation is gone faster than most can read it anyway, as already stated, its merely an advertisment.

Matt

Paul88, while your post made me laugh, please put away your flame thrower. You're new* to Games so I'll let it slide this time but next time you'll earn yourself a temp ban.

*Well your nick is new anyway ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

i hope this relationship doesnt get too serious, we dont want a situation were certain games will only play on certain gfx cards

Originally posted by l3rian
    i hope this relationship doesnt get too serious, we dont want a situation were certain games will only play on certain gfx cards

There is no sane business model that supports such an approach. These companies arent idiots, so you dont need to worry bout that happening any time soon.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

:rolleyes:

That's never going to happen. Game manufacturers are in it to make money aswell. They're hardly going to want to alienate half their potential customer base.
    All this hooplah over a little image at the start of the game.

Counterstrike plays alright on my old Voodoo 3500tv. Have you ever tried CS Paul88?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by amp
    Counterstrike plays alright on my old Voodoo 3500tv. Have you ever tried CS Paul88?
    1.6 or the older versions?

Originally posted by tuxx
    1.6 or the older versions?

Well the 3500 is in my server now which is my precious so there's no way in hell that Steam is ever going to go near it. When it was in my main machine I played Half-life and Q3 with it and while the frame rate was below average it was playable.

(hey you did ask)

Originally posted by Matt Simis
    So where did the notion of "running on NVidia cards only" come from then? Everything Ive read used vague marketing language like "plays best on" or "the way its meant to be played"... The animation is gone faster than most can read it anyway, as already stated, its merely an advertisment.

Matt

THIS is where it came from:
    Originally posted by Deadwing
    Well great, so you can play doom3, and half life 2, but not on the same card?!
    *mutters angrily*

That is what I am repling to.

I have no bones about NVidia whatsoever.
    Ok?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Advertisement