Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

explorer hijacker?

Options
  • 03-03-2004 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

im not that well up on computers but ive got something on my system (xp home) - ive got an internet explorer hijacker - ive installed spybot and it shows me that my home pages are long strings of two digit numbers with percentage marks in between - when i change them back to - say yahoo they return when i reboot my pc - ive gone into the regedit and found them and manually changed them but they simply come back - it also leaves some internet shortcuts in my favorites file - any help????????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

A batch file running on startup might be re-installing them maybe.

Try both Spybot and Ad-aware. One catches hijackers that the other doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Get any security updates there are for Internet Explorer from the WindowsUpdate site. Update Spybot aswell to make sure you have the newest definitions. Run it and remove anything it finds [again].

Oh, and Install Mozilla Firefox. Its a better browser then Internet Explorer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Thread split, crap moved here. If you want to discuss it do it in this thread or, for preference, Feedback/Suggestions. Any more off-topic posts in this thread will result in a ban. Either the answer the question or keep your mouth shut.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I've seen something similar before.
    There was a exe buried in the Windows folder I think and there was a reference to it in the registry (HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run) so everytime the pc was rebooted the crap would reinstall itself.
    Might be worth using/getting a copy of MS Config and seeing what's there or else check the registry manually if you're comfortable doing that.
    Don't go deleting random keys unless you're sure you know it's relating to whatever's hijacking the browser (end of disclaimer :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭axel90

Ok heres a tool that removes most types of Hijacks.
    Goto www.axel90.com and then click xp mods in the left column then simply download the the file Cwshredder.

• Advertisement
Advertisement