Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netsource cap and new pricing

• 03-03-2004 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

With the new pricing structure coming, all SOHO customers have effectively been bumped up to SME, so does this mean we're exempt from the download cap? I've emailed netsource, but no responce.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

Can anyone tell me what is going on with NS??? I dont want to pay more for a superior product ....i want to pay less for what i have at the moment i.e. 512/128....fixed ip etc!!!

A clear answer would be a dream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

We're all waiting for them to give some indication, they are most likely looking at what the others are offering and trying to put a product together that is more expensive but offers shagall extra (slightly bigger cap with fixed IP I'm thinking) :mad: ...they better be quick about it..........

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Put me also on the list for "I want a bloody answer now". My 3 months is almost up. I want to know what I'm doing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

They been doing the runu around all week on this one. I'm quite sure that the soho is now the sme except it gonna be a bit cheaper too when the new price kicks in.

They trying to push the 1meg pack tho which is 89+vat no domain and a free router/firewall. Nothing confirmed yet but that's whats being said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

They should be getting rid of their stupid Domain rubbish, raising their CAP AND matching utv on price if these guys want to stay in business.
    They also need to introduce a budget package to match UTVs €29 package.
    For me the killer is the disconnection charge (as well as the BS about the throttling that everyone seems to have forgotten about).
    Good god what is that all about. Its like Vodafone telling you that you have to PAY them to stop having a mobile phone.
    OK fair enough if you leave during your contract but i am getting the impression from others that this applies even after your contract ends. I cant believe that. Surely this is illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Indeed Daithi, sounds like someone in Netsource pulled this out of their arse..

hi all rang NS an hour ago and supposedly the pricing is out.....girl said she would email stratightaway with details but nothing yet!!!

Can someone else ring and see what they tell ya,,,,,just as matter of interest to see what they say...

Btw if you do get the pricing post it here!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Baud

Why? They're not competing with UTV.. UTV are providing a home oriented products, netsource are providing business oriented products.

IIRC, the disconnection charge is charged by eircom, so they don't have much of a choice...

L.

Baud...i see ur point but NS are so bloody uncompetitive at the moment its not funny!!

They need to do something soon!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

This is what i have been trying to find out. Do the other BB providers charge a disconnection fee or not?

Nobody seems to have a definitive answer. If Eircom are charging it to the BB provider it should apply to all and sundry unless the provider chooses to pay it themselves. And when did this charge come into play? There are people who were with Netsource who have left them and they were not charged a disconnection fee. Ando on boards here is one who springs to mind straight away. So what is the story with this and where did it come from in recent times?

Anyone got a straight answer about it from either Netsource or the other providers?

• Advertisement

If anyone wants to charge you to end a contract after the end date of a contract just refuse to pay it. Your contract with them expired so they can do nothing. It is unfair to expect someone to pay to leave an expired contract.
    I bet you'ld win if they took the money and you went to the small claims court.
    Like i said before, its the very same thing as leaving a mobile phone company. The company cannot charge you to leave unless still under contract.

Reply from Netsource as below :
    --
    The disconnection fee is payable to any customer who wishes to disconnect
    his service.

The disconnection fee is what we are charged by Eircom any time we
    disconnect a line.

The pricing has not been fully confirmed, but basically you can either
    upgrade or downgrade the service.

To downgrade the service, there is a one off fee of 45 euro and the monthly
    rate would be 33 euro, however you will not have a fixed IP address and
    there is an acceptable user policy of 16 gigs on that particular service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

And how much does it cost to upgrade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

€45 for them edit a line or two in a database?

Fuck right off out of here with that bullshit.

I suppose they want to charge more to "upgrade" people to the more expensive option?
    Or is it the case that if you're curently on SOHO you effectively become uncapped and see a slight drop in price (to around ~€55 afaik)?

Gangsters!!!! (my opinion only)

Just got call from NS.
    Soho remains the same price, same specs other than the contention change. Still has the cap. I told them about the other service's being 16 gb download not transfer limit and being alot cheaper and they said they could prob do it without the domain. That still more expensive than IOL tho.

The 1meg service is 85+vat and she said she could prob do it without the domain. That would be uncapped and prob with higher interleaving same as on eircom line. That would be alright but I dunno if I wanna spend that much on net access.

Think Iol here I come

Originally posted by SyxPak
    Or is it the case that if you're curently on SOHO you effectively become uncapped

Yeah right!!!!
    Their original offer was uncapped too and it didnt take them long to start throttling peoples bandwidth that time, so how could you possibly trust them on this one?

What are the pricing and details for iols package?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Next they'll be charging us for the cost of calls and faxes to eircoms on behalf of us. I'm sure they have no right to carry that business cost onto us. In my opinion, if you want out of netsource, call to your bank, stop the direct debit, send netsource a cheque to the value of the last 2 months by registered cheque and inform them you have done this and request disconnection.

Iol offers at
    http://www.iol.ie/bundles/pr_bbplus.htm

The soho is still capped.

Iol offer the exact same pack except with iol you lose a domain you prob dont use, a fixed ip address (prob dont use that either). You have to live with a 12month contract tho but their 24hour support with iol I think.
    We getting the phone offer so looks like iol for half the price of what I pay ns. No real change to my service

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by Ryaner

We getting the phone offer so looks like iol for half the price of what I pay ns. No real change to my service

Ryaner, I'll be doing the same once I get back from Holidays, let me know how it goes.

Eircom wholesale seem to have a EUR60 (Excl VAT) transfer charge to move providers, however, then I don't think you have to pay any disconnection charge and it shouldn't take longer then a day or two to carry out.

Let me know how it goes with Esat and NS.

• Advertisement

Yeah we in process of signing up to esat phone atm and since ns havent changed a thing I'd still save money over next twelve months even if iol charge a full connection fee and ns charge the full150 dc fee.
    I gonna say that to them tomorrow and see what is said.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 thomasb

Originally posted by Tazzle
    Next they'll be charging us for the cost of calls and faxes to eircoms on behalf of us. I'm sure they have no right to carry that business cost onto us. In my opinion, if you want out of netsource, call to your bank, stop the direct debit, send netsource a cheque to the value of the last 2 months by registered cheque and inform them you have done this and request disconnection.

Actually companies do have the right to charge you for services rendered. More to the point - all companies do. The fact that some companies "hide" those charges in other costs doesn't mean they aren't charging you.

Could people please start getting real about things - there sometimes seems to be a lack of awareness on these forums that all four Broadband providers are in this to make money, not because they are owned by generous philantrophists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Cop your self on you moaning little fúcks. NS are perfectly entitled to charge what they want and pass on administration costs to you. If you don't like it, fúck off to another ISP.

The end.

This was a party political broadcast on behalf of the elitist few on #linux.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Originally posted by DaithiSurfer
    They should be getting rid of their stupid Domain rubbish, raising their CAP AND matching utv on price if these guys want to stay in business.
    They also need to introduce a budget package to match UTVs €29 package.
    For me the killer is the disconnection charge (as well as the BS about the throttling that everyone seems to have forgotten about).
    Good god what is that all about. Its like Vodafone telling you that you have to PAY them to stop having a mobile phone.
    OK fair enough if you leave during your contract but i am getting the impression from others that this applies even after your contract ends. I cant believe that. Surely this is illegal.

Reality check.
    Quality services cost money. Bandwidth costs money. Hardware costs money. Cross connection fees cost money. Trained staff cost money.
    Selling at a low price may increase a company's market share, but at what cost? A lot of people do not seem to realise that NS have been paying for your downloads.

NS do not offer a "home user" product. If you are a business user with any other ISP can you honestly expect them to ring you back if there is support query?
    I doubt it.

So stop whining.

If you want to whine at somebody target Eircom or Comreg.

Hello boys..

Since Netsource don't do a homeuser product then what was the SOHO product that was touted far and wide last year?

There was no requirement that you be a business when a lot of people signed up for it. That only changed when you got every chancer from far and wide downloading like the divil himself and suffenly unlimited downloads became 4Gb a week. Must have been some other product I signed up for because when I did there was no limit (a silly idea in the first place) and there was no disconnection charge and little ye cared at the time where the money came from.

I've never bothered to call Netsource about a problem since in general it wasn't me who was the technical difficulties, its been Netsources problem as a rule and its affected far more than just myself. Given that we should all be bitching to Eircom and Comreg, it still doesn't stop Netsource happily selling Eircom products now does it? But all the bitching that does go on about Eircom and Comreg seems to have produced SFA so far though? I don't see Netsource taking on Eircom in any significant way either. Despite the fact that Eircom would be the source of most of their problems. Why would that be now?

If ye want to come on here swearing and abusing people who might (maybe even a teeny bit) have some right to be a teensy bit annoyed with Netsources attitude to its residential customers (no idea about the business ones) then of course you have a right to do so. Doesn't stop the rest of us thinking ye are a bunch of sanctimonious pains in the arse.

Love to move on to another cheaper ISP (even with poorer technical resources). Netsource seem to want charge us for the privelige.

Netsource do indeed have a right to charge what they wish. We should have the chance to pay what we think is reasonable. Do tell me how they justify charging for a domain name most of us don't use and for that matter charging about 10 times (at least) what it normally costs in the case of non-irish address and about 3 times the cost of an irish registered domain? Still you can't have the service without the cost, eh? So paying over the odds

Now lads why don't ye sod off back to your irc channel and bitch about stupid n00bs and the like amongst yourselves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Originally posted by flamegrill
    Cop your self on you moaning little fúcks. NS are perfectly entitled to charge what they want and pass on administration costs to you. If you don't like it, fúck off to another ISP.

The end.

This was a party political broadcast on behalf of the elitist few on #linux.ie

Thanks for that valuable input......... yes , I do intend to (as you so succinctly put it) fúck off to another ISP.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Heh, I also intend to depart netsource. 1 Reason, price. The only way in which i can reccomend netsource, and i reccomend them highly in this regard, is their tech support. Unlike some other companies I've had the misfortune of dealing with they actually seem to know what their talking about, they have seemed to be able to find women even that know how to ping and traceroute, must find out where they source these before i change isp's, wanna get my hands on one.

Um, yes... www.mailorder-girl-geeks.com

Moving swiftly on from what little dealings I have had with Netsource techies I can say I have no complaints and I doubt many could really on that score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Nice trolls there Blacknight and flamegrill (you'd never think that flamegrill was a mod and should have known better)....:rolleyes: (p.s. ... piss off to the unix forum if you are going to be pimping your so called elitist irc channel)

So its alright and acceptable business practice for a company that is providing a service to a company or individual to change the contract at will in such a way as that you WILL pay more and have no choice in the matter? ... would it still be ok if they started to charge €200 for disconnections?

How much does it cost Blacknought solutions to download 16Gigs ... not a fucking lot I'd say ... we pay €10 a month more than €ircon or Eshat for that privelege, to be charged to move to a cheaper competitor is a good enough reason to move in its own right ... and I'll make bloody sure those fuckers wont get a disconnection fee from me...

Back on topic ... Netsource still havent announced their products despite promising almost everyone who rang or emailed they would be announced early this week ... they may be different prices / products entirely from what has been mentioned in the various forums as well ....

What can you expect from the company that charges the most for basic DSL services, and is the only one that enforces its cap on a lot of subscribers and is the only one that does not have an online mechanism that allows you to see how close you are to their limit ....

I know when I signed up there was no disconnection fee in the contract..... does that mean I can tell them to get knotted?

Ahhhhh ... good to get some frustration off my chest. ... :D

• Advertisement

NS soho is66a month. iol is 47.Bit more than 10euro diff there. The soho is not changing at all. They told me it now 16gig download limit not transfer limit and that price aint changing. They told me cause i hadnt reg a domain they could not charge me.
    Lower one is 33+vat + domain. No static ip and 8gig dl limit.

As for dc charge NS are only charging the eircom port dc now. My contract had 150+vat dc charge. I have it two weeks now. I confirmed I can bit stream without paying NS more than the 60days notice. Iol said I could do it but prob 1/2 wk without BB??? Weren't sure bout cost tho but wouldn't be much.

Anyway me plan is moving to iol since we alreadly getting phone package.

Advertisement