Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netsource cap and new pricing

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

christ i think i need to do a degree in broadband business ethics etc to choose a new bb provider....all i know is im leaving NS and prob going to esat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Err lads clam the hell down and discuses the topic like normal grown up people

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

Agree with you,,,,but all this new pricing is bloody confusing....nobody seems to know whats going on inc the ISP's....its all up in a heap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Co33iE

Originally posted by Ryaner
    NS soho is66a month. iol is 47.Bit more than 10euro diff there. The soho is not changing at all. They told me it now 16gig download limit not transfer limit and that price aint changing. They told me cause i hadnt reg a domain they could not charge me.
    Lower one is 33+vat + domain. No static ip and 8gig dl limit.

As for dc charge NS are only charging the eircom port dc now. My contract had 150+vat dc charge. I have it two weeks now. I confirmed I can bit stream without paying NS more than the 60days notice. Iol said I could do it but prob 1/2 wk without BB??? Weren't sure bout cost tho but wouldn't be much.

Anyway me plan is moving to iol since we alreadly getting phone package.

So download limit on soho is 16gb? whats the upload limit?
    and dose this mean we can cancel the domain name at last?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by bizmark
    Err lads clam the hell down and discuses the topic like normal grown up people

Every ISP is charged €60 EX VAT by €ircon wholesale for ceasing an ADSL port . Thats actually a tad more than €75 when VAT is included.

The same €60 charge applies when CHANGING to another provider with no loss of service ...although the document is not clear on which ISP should incur the charge in that case. The original one or the one to which you transfer.

Its all Here on page 2 of 3 . Netsource are NOT marking this up excessively and really should not be getting all this flak for it.

Their crime, as always, is their indiscriminate and untruthful use of the word "Unlimited" in their advertising and promotional material . They should simply say that they have ALWAYS had the best allowances in the country , and up the CAP to 17Gb while they are at it to cover themselves on that point .

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Originally posted by Muck
    Every ISP is charged €60 EX VAT by €ircon wholesale for ceasing an ADSL port . Thats actually a tad more than €75 when VAT is included.

The same €60 charge applies when CHANGING to another provider with no loss of service ...although the document is not clear on which ISP should incur the charge in that case. The original one or the one to which you transfer.

Has this always been there?, if it was then why the hell wasnt it in contracts last year but it is there now?
    I just know whats going to happen with the charge for changing ISP .. they'll BOTH try to charge .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Originally posted by Co33iE
    So download limit on soho is 16gb? whats the upload limit?
    and dose this mean we can cancel the domain name at last?

Dl limit is 16gb. No upload limit as such. Because I was talking about cancelling (I'm on it two weeks) and hadnt reg the domain they said they could prob do it without the domain.

Still alot more expensive so I cancelling

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Jonnie_Onion

*Prays he passes the IBB LOS*

Otherwise I'm moving to IOL. NS's charges are really starting to bite.

IBB would be so sweet
    There was rumours of them coming to swords. Heard nothing since.

Everyone seems to wanna leave NS now. Serves them right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

so SOHO is ~€54 a month inc VAT if you cancel the domain name?
    And all they do to even out with the competition is half the contention ratio (which doesn't really affect things as they don't have enough customers to really contend things) and change the cap from total transfer to just download (at best a 25% increase, at worst no increase, depending on yuour upload:download ratio).

I simply cannot believe that :(

Are they actively trying to lose customers [again]?

There are 4 (soon to be 5) of us in the house here using the line and the 16Gig cap is a major bone of contention and we have to ration our usage towards the end of the week, even with the installation of our proxy server a while back, simply because we've no real way to calculate how much we've downloaded.
    If they increased the cap to a healthy and managable ~50-60gig download per month and implemented an automated and hourly/daily updated metre with which we could accurately monitor our usage, €66 (even without the domain) would be viewed as a fair price in our eyes.
    We wouldn't come near the cap most months, but it'd be nice to know we've got room to breath as right now it feels highly restricted and bordering on "cyber-claustrophobia".

Two of us are moving away in less than a month's time and the Netsource contract is in my name and the DD is taken from my account so something needs to be done to rectify that.
    If Esat Business was available in our exchange we'd be changed over in the morning.

I'm getting very jumpy at the moment and this inaction on Netsource's behalf to even attempt competitive package pricing is damn-near the straw up the camel's nose.

• Advertisement

I asked NS were they leaving prices as is or changing anything else and they said no. But the lower content ratio was a plus. My pings have gone up a bit since the change and think a few other have too. I said this to them and they'd no come back.

I'm thinking they are prob gonna change there stuff in future when everyone starts cancelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

I've sent a lot of emails to them in the last week about their pricing cap etc and got no answer to any of them.
    I basically asked them if they were going to compete with the €45 products from ESAT and UTV.
    I pointed out that chargeing even €54 for the same service is not competeing.
    I'm not impressed that they haven't even anbswered my mails.

It does appear that NS dont care who leaves them. I would have liked to get a 1meg line uncapped but I dont see the point. I mainly want an uncapped line so I can not be worried about downloading.

I have collage to download so I do most in there. If NS offered uncapped 512 line for maybe 70Euro a month that would be great but dont think they want to keep there customers

Would you believe them if they said uncapped though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Originally posted by DaithiSurfer
    Would you believe them if they said uncapped though.

Only if they agree to sign the contract in blood this time :D

The 1meg line is fully uncapped as in you can use it as much as you want really. If you max out the line 24/7 they would have the right to tell you to get a lease line tho but not to dc you really although I think there something in the contract saying they can do whatever they like whenever they like.

You should have a chat with the people who signed up to their 'uncapped' service last year Ryaner :)
    They too were told there was no cap (and i would imagine if you are told there is no cap you use it like it has no cap) and gfound to their cost (they were throttled and then given a 16 gig cap) that this was not the truth. In fact if you read netsources website about SOHO it still says its uncapped. But if you dig and i mean DIG into their T's & C's somewhere on their site it stipulates the cap for you.

This is blatent misadvertising and is only to be expected from cowboys.

They cant compete with the other providers now and wont even try i would say.
    They'll just keep quiet and hope that people are too lazy to shop around.

I know all about the no caps thing they offered.

In reality it is actually uncapped. If you go over the cap they mainly just put you in with the higher users. They dont cut you off. Yes this does go against what they said but tech it also doesnt. If you want to dl 70gb a month you can, your pings are just going to be really bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Ryaner
    I know all about the no caps thing they offered.

In reality it is actually uncapped. If you go over the cap they mainly just put you in with the higher users. They dont cut you off. Yes this does go against what they said but tech it also doesnt. If you want to dl 70gb a month you can, your pings are just going to be really bad.

But you won't actually be able to download 70Gigs, as you'll be lumped in with anyone else who went over the cap, who will just open the floodgates anyways as they've nothing to lose.

From what I heard you get full speeds if you set your downloads thru the proxy server. Cant confirm because I aint on long enough to get capped but thats what I've heard.

Even if others are pulling alot of bandwidth you can still get somewhere

• Advertisement

you will be lucky if u get 10Kbs if you get throttled. happened to me and a couple of others i know. And i was using it for normal business purposes (database backups etc) for my company. I got it as a busness and then found that it was unuseable. They didn't put it back until i cancelled the DD and told them if i got half the speed i would pay half the price quarter and i would pay quarter the price and so on.
    I was getting somewhere alright but 5 times SLOWER than dialup whether i use the proxy or not.

I cancelled the business package soon afterwards but the home package i was stuck with as i took the year in advance option.
    Now that up next month.
    That and the disconnection charge has done it for me.
    I dont see UTV chargeing a disconnection charge.

Ok those speeds are alot lower than what I'd heard before. I was going to go with the year in advance but lucky I didnt. I putting my cancell order in soon enough so it fits in with the billing. I kinda do hope they come out with some sort of a diff product tho but very unlikely

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

ARGH! I just got the bill for the next quarter and it's dated from the 28th of February - meaning I'm stuck with them for ages now!!! Of all the sh1tty luck!!! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

FFS, I have the exact same thing happen as well ...monthly charge from 28 feb .... fuckers

Advertisement