Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you dislike, Linkin park, Evenescence and the darkness for the wrong reasons?

• 03-03-2004 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

was talking to a group of 16 year old rockers today and i was astonished by their attitude towards rock music. They`ve been fans of pixies, nirvana, metallica etc for about 6 months and they think they know everything about rock music. one of them used to like the darkness but since he heard them being played on the radio station he pretends that he never liked them because they are "too commerical" and listening to them makes him look uncool in the eyes of his fellow rockers with their black leather and psuedo american accents. i mean people never had a problem with queen, guns and roses led zepplin etc being in the pop charts. why should people have a problem with evenescence linkin park etc being in the top 20.

Ok i accept there are people who dont like linkin park purely because of their music and i respect those people. but it seems many of the rockers that have appeared in the last 3 or 4 years seem to have a very poor perspective on music and only listen to bands who have become trendy such as metallica, nirvana etc. what does every one else think.

Do you dislike, Linkin park, Evenescence and the darkness for the wrong reasons? 59 votes

this thread doesnt apply to me cos i like one or more of these bands anyway
    0% 0 votes
    i dislike purely because their music isn`t my cup of tea
    50% 30 votes
    i dislike them cos my friends at the bank will laugh at me if i liked them
    49% 29 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Laughed my ass off at the final option! Sheer class! Don't like them because I don't like their work, nuff said tbh! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

I'd agree that a lot of these kids dislike those rock acts for the wrong reasons. Same way a lot of people who listen to rock music dislike electronic music with an absolutely unnatural passion. The reality being that most look beyond their musical prejiduces by the time they reach 18 or 19....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭UnrealQueen

I absolutely luv Linkin Park and The Darkness. I can't think why anyone would be ashamed to say they do. But ....you know teenagers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

I actually think all of those bands are ok, and I certainly aint ashamed to say it :D
    and Ill pick a fight with anyone who disagress.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Second option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭xx

I'd only say that I like Linkin Park out of the 3 bands mentioned. I have both of their albums which I really enjoy and stick on when I've reached my quota of Death & Industrial metal for the month (you can soooo f'ing OD on Industrial, its not even healthy). I like their mix of music, there's a little bit of something in there for everyone. Plus they've got the added factor that if you have friends around who aren't metal-heads, you can stick Linkin Park on and they won't be whining about it being too loud/can't hear the vocals/can't feel their heartbeat for all the bass etc etc. They're effectively user-friendly metal/rock.
    I didn't go see 'em with Metallica but was a little cheesed off to hear that people were bottling them etc. FFS, people cry out when no rock/metal bands play here and what do they do when one of the largest one's plays here? Bottle them, thats what. Wankers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I like the Darkness because they're camp and they don't take themselves too seriously, UNLIKE Linkin Park who think they're the future of 'metal'. LP are absolutely woeful. The singer always looks like he's suffering from impacted stools. Seriously.
    Evanescence, the singer has a nice voice but their music is such simpering, pseudo-goth nonsence!

But what would I know, i'm 22 and past it :(

Yeah! Go home, old person! :D

Used to love hearing the radio ads for Evanesence's "Goth Anthem Bring me to Life", man that made me laugh! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

pseudo-goth nonsence!

so you like total goth music ?

i like LP and EV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

ido like linkin park and also another band not mentioned but getting in the same bracket lost prophets, i like these bands because to me the music they play sounds good, one thing i hate thou is that some of my m8's when i tell them this come out with "u dont have a clue" the only reason for ever disliking a band is that there music does sound good to you. I hate these ppl who try to be trendy rockers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Is not liking them because they're shit the wrong reason?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

but getting in the same bracket lost prophets

was a fan when fakesoundofprogress came out, went to gig and also met them before and honestly after getting addicted to such hardcore music then coming across such **** as LAST TRAIN HOME and veiewing them talk about people classifying themselves wearing same types of clothes then looking at them then watching them on TRouble and MTV Hits, sellouts comes to mine but be that as it may i just got the album and it ****ing rocks, still dont like last train home but rest is ****ing ace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Originally posted by AngelofFire
    was talking to a group of 16 year old rockers today and i was astonished by their attitude towards rock music. They`ve been fans of pixies, nirvana, metallica etc for about 6 months and they think they know everything about rock music. one of them used to like the darkness but since he heard them being played on the radio station he pretends that he never liked them because they are "too commerical" and listening to them makes him look uncool in the eyes of his fellow rockers with their black leather and psuedo american accents. i mean people never had a problem with queen, guns and roses led zepplin etc being in the pop charts. why should people have a problem with evenescence linkin park etc being in the top 20.

Ok i accept there are people who dont like linkin park purely because of their music and i respect those people. but it seems many of the rockers that have appeared in the last 3 or 4 years seem to have a very poor perspective on music and only listen to bands who have become trendy such as metallica, nirvana etc. what does every one else think.

A) Metallica, nirvana etc are fairly damn ****.
    B) I hate all of the mentioned bands in the title cept Darkness, linkin Park: every song is the same. Evanescence: they are simply ****e :). I love the pixies, I love zeppelin, I love many a band, but I took my time about 5 years ago learning to appreciate most genres of music, I never dismissed a band for being "uncool" that's just trying to be cool, the opposite of what rock is about. I despise all of these guys in my year at school who just come in one day with hoodies and some Metallica albums saying that they hate Good Charlotte and Slipknot, I am fully aware that both of these bands are crap, but that's not the point, you can't just become a "rocker" or "mosher" overnight, you have to know about good famous, non-mainstream and local bands in at least 3 genres tbh before you can even start, I know many good bands and have quite a large selection of music, but I wouldn't say that I know half as much as, say Angelwhore or Giblet (I pick these two as they are the masters of two completely different styles).

Exeunt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭The Phenom

I hate Linkin Park I think all there song sorta sound the same. The Darkness ha id like to hear him try and sing a song without the big high piched screeching in it.
    As for Evenescence M i don't mind them actually your one is a real good singer and i only really know 2 songs so i dont have an opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Im afraid im a hardcore sellout, i actually like Evanescence. But thats probably down to the fact that i sooooooo would love to do the wild thing with Amy Lee :D

As for linkin park..i dont even rate them as metal. Theyre pop for people who like to think theyre rockers. Aka mini rockers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭dub_dan

does anybody like rap? Like dr.dre, xzibit, eminem, 50c etc.........etc......
    Lyrical Geniuses!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

yeah i like rap alot.

the thing that bugs me about "rockers" these days is that they are too obsessed with image. i mean half of them like rock music for the wrong reasons. they are just trying to fit into a certain crowd rather than show appreciation for music. At the end of the day its just a music category, its not a cult that dictates your way of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

I don't think that Linkin park are the worst. I mean they are completely innoffensive sound and image wise. I certainly woulndn't insult metal by calling them so, they are a band for twelve or thirteen year olds, the next step up from barney to like for social acceptance if you will. I wouldn't get angry about them or anything.

And one thing, in fairness to them, nobody before has ever achieved such a coherent mix of melodic vocals and rapping like they have. Their sound is very unique.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I really dislike Linkin Park, although I'm not sure I ever gave them a chance, having heard of them before hearing them. While I'm not a fan, evanescene are more than tolerable, I would go so far as to say that ballad thing they released is pretty good.

As for the Darkness, I really liked them at first, but after a (very short) while the falsetto gets to me, and just when I couldn't tolerate it any more, it hit heavy rotation. Gah!

As for 15 year old rock-kids, well you just have to laugh at them. They come up to you, looking like a mini-me version of someone from Linkin Park and say how great Iron Maiden/RATM etc are and you just want to twat them. Leave me alone you little bastards, I DON'T WANT YOU TO THINK I'M COOL

</rant>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

i detest linkin park from constant screamin down the microphone of their "singer",never really got in on evenescence but i likes d darkness cos their so cheesy and are nice and light (and easy-ish 2 play!very important!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I voted the first option.

I rather like Evanescence oddly enough. I don't know much of their stuff but what I've heard I quite like.

The Darkness are the dogs b*llocks. I think they're great. They come across as laid back and just not giving a crap whether they're being cheesy or camp or what-not

But I detest LP. I just don't like their music at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I like Led Zep, Gnr, Radiohead, Nirvana, Jimi, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, AC-DC, Frank Zappa, Stone Temple Pilots, Jeff Buckley.

Why, because they all rock.

And I've been listening to most of them Since I was 10 or 11, and people hate some of those bands for the wrong reasons.

The reason I dislike Linkin Park and Evanesance is simply because I don't like the music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Giblet: Same as - I used to get slagged unmercifully in 6th class because I listened to the Beatles and Zeppelin instead of the Spice Girls.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

And now, time for my 2 cents :)

I like those bands. I respect them for what that. I will gladly sit down and listen to Evanescence, the Darkness and LP. In fairness, they have some decent songs, they are successful, fair f*cks to them. It's good to listen to them as a guitarist because it gives different ideas of music and styles than I'd normally listen to.

End communication

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭weak infant

paulie getting brown nosed. ha. i think there's a whole other problem on top of this basic dislike of things because they are played on the radio or too commercial. it's the same except different, the higher ups(that's you paulie, probably, ignore me, i dont give a **** really) are guilty of it. take the recent critical acclaim of blink182's new album. all the critics turn around and say it's great because now they are taking things seriously, that they couldn't appreciate the bands previous efforts because it was too tongue in cheek, too cleverly marketed. the critics say, ah finally now the band is doing what we knew they were capable of, what we thought they should be doing all along. they heard the talent beforehand and ignored the good of any of it because of the enormous success of the music among young teens. which is a load of crap. music is music, like what you like because you like it, not because of any knock on social effects that claiming to like it might bring. fags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Dan, your just jealous because I like better bands than you, NOW BE GONE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭weak infant

i cut my hair took the drugs and sold out. life is good. untz untz untz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by eth0_
    Evanescence, the singer has a nice voice but their music is such simpering, pseudo-goth nonsence!

Evanscence simply stole Lacuna Coil's sound, a far superior band altogether.

It's just odd how Lacuna Coil had such a great and original sound, yet someone else ripping off that sound can be so god damn awful.

Originally posted by AngelWhore
    Evanscence simply stole Lacuna Coil's sound,

And then made it horrible to listen to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Originally posted by Deadwing

As for linkin park..i dont even rate them as metal. Theyre pop for people who like to think theyre rockers. Aka mini rockers.

you should of gone for the 3rd option.

ok i admit linkin park strictly speaking aren`t "the real thing "if you judge them purely in the context of metal. but as a band in general i rate them very highly.they are fantastic lyricists and mike is a brilliant rapper plus their style encompasses many forms of music that i listen to, rock, hip hop, electronica,orchestal etc. the reason why so many rockers dislike them is because they are judged against metallica, pantera etc. if you judged them as music acts and not get bogged down in categorising them as pop or metal etc you would have a clearer perspective. forgive me if im patronising i dont mean to. im just adding to the debate.

Advertisement