Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fundraising - Suggestion Box!

Options
  • 04-03-2004 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭

The Society is interested in the suggestion posted on the forum that we introduce a corporate membership category.

We would welcome any suggestions of groups or organisations which people think we could approach.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

Not all at once now!!!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

I'm just posting here to remind people of this thread ... and to ask again for any suggestions!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭williamgrogan

You actually raise an interesting side issue here, why so many people read these threads and so few contribute. I noticed that on one day ~64 people read the .....VVAT=MMR..... thread and yet only 2 posted. (Please ignore the temptation to post any sarcastic comments, the fact is they did read the thread!)

Maybe we could have an open week where the normal posters would promise to refrain from attacking any new posts. :) A sort of lets-be-very-nice-little-skeptics week, maybe Holy Week :). Even poor Rodney from Cork who called us nerds was banned.

PayPal, Quackwatch use it. Also Amazon.co.uk use a mechanism where you can donate as little as a £1.

However there is a Catch 22 here. If we had a higher profile and were seen to be responsible for shutting down scam artists then people might donate.

Maybe we could have a slogan, "If you think you've been scammed, send us a fiver and the details, we will investigate and write a letter."

If we had staff we could sell our services. Like a detective agency, we could harass con artists and get people's money back.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Originally posted by williamgrogan
    Maybe we could have a slogan, "If you think you've been scammed, send us a fiver and the details, we will investigate and write a letter."

That sounds like a scam to me.

............and your suggestion to raise money is?

Don't tell me you think solicitors are scamming then? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

When you post threads with titles like:
    Is there a similarity between Nazism, Homeopathy, Magnetic Back Cures and Religion?

it's hard to take you seriously. But please, feel free to write me a strongly worded letter of protest.

I think that Dogs is cheating making this comment as I cannot reply as this is totally off thread here and I'm surprised that the moderator allowed this post through. I would ask that it be deleted as it is insulting to me without offering me the possibility of reply.

Dogs can start a new thread along the lines of "Is the way people are easily fooled by political extremism, fake medicine and the belief in the supernatural similar?"

A perfectly valid question imho.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I think he's offering a reason why your fundraising attempts may not meet with much success.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

Originally posted by williamgrogan
    I think that Dogs is cheating making this comment as I cannot reply as this is totally off thread here

Eh, I think you just did. I simply made a point about why you might not be receiving contributions. It's not my intention to attack you personally.

Dogs can start a new thread along the lines of "Is the way people are easily fooled by political extremism, fake medicine and the belief in the supernatural similar?"
    A perfectly valid question imho.

Then again maybe it's just your posting style.

Advertisement