Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitzwilliam - 4th (Tonight)

Options
  • 04-03-2004 9:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭

Anyone interested in meeting at the Henry Gratten around 8 or so before the tournament tonight? At the very least, I believe I owe lafortezza a pint :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Will you have a pint George?
    Yes
    A pint of what George?
    A pint...of Creme de Menthe!

I'll be there at about 8 or so.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I owe LaFortezza a tenner (there you go, its your lucky night Luke!)

If I can make it I'll be in the Fireworks from 6:30 or 7 at latest to murder ^H^H^H^H play you guys at pool :):)

DeV.

Its been a week of savage good fortune for myself.
    I won the office Lotto game (double rollover) €164 last week.
    I had a free night on the booze on friday and hit another jackpot that night ;)
    Won €115 in Mr P's house on saturday.
    2nd place in the €20buyin tournament in the Fitz on sunday €375
    Again I won the office Lotto game over the weekend €64
    And now I've got you guys throwing money at me.

/me wanders off to check my lotto number from last night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭casper-

hmmm ....

/me decides to bring some sort of pummelling instrument for when i see luke tonight.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I think you stole my luck along with my chips!

I've had a week of rotten luck, fried my motherboard and chip by connecting it to a halogen light by means of two coke cans. No I'm not kidding, yes there was a reason for it, no its not a very good reason.
    After that its just gone down hill.

Lucky I dont believe in luck eh!?

DeV.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by DeVore
    After that its just gone down hill.
    Lucky I dont believe in luck eh!?
    DeV.
    I think you're steaming DeV, step away from the table, step away...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Well I still think I had the best luck of all!!

Hyzepher

Originally posted by lafortezza
    I think you're steaming DeV, step away from the table, step away...

Eh? Lol!

I'd have steamrolled over you you bleeding river-hitting odds-bucker.

DeV.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Originally posted by Hyzepher
    Well I still think I had the best luck of all!!

Hyzepher

That wasn't luck Chris. You slow played it and maximised your winnings. Pure skill.

Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase... "All in"...

/me gets his coat...

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Spiritus

Eh? Lol!

I'd have steamrolled over you you bleeding river-hitting odds-bucker.

DeV.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

I was thinking of going along for the first time tonight, I've only played poker in work before, so I'll be pretty noobish. Do you need to bring photo id to join the fitz, and is there much of a dress code?

Greg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Originally posted by quozl
    I was thinking of going along for the first time tonight, I've only played poker in work before, so I'll be pretty noobish. Do you need to bring photo id to join the fitz, and is there much of a dress code?

Photo ID is needed though I think they'll let you off the first night and ask you to bring it with you next time. They was happy nuff with a student card when I joined so any lousy ID should do it.

No dress code really.

Greg
    No dress code at all, you see everything from suit to shorts.
    If you've played texas hold'em before you should be fine, most of us were very n00bish when we started in the fitz. Read musician's sticky about the etiquette and have a browse of the rest of the post in Poker for more info.

The things most new players seem to have trouble with are the blinds, getting a feel for the table, being a bit intimidated and not being confident enough with their trip Aces. If you think you have the best hand BET!! :)

A few of us should be meeting in the Henry Grattan around the corner from the Fitz at about 8pm for a pint. You're more than welcome,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Already read Muso's posts, and bought Slanskys 'The Theory of Poker' on another stickies recommendation :) I've been lurking a while so as not to (hopefully) make a complete tit of myself when I first go.

Definately be up for the Henry Gratton beforehand, thanks. If Dev's there, I'll recognise him. Otherwise what do you guys look like? Stetsons and cigars?

Greg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

bought Slanskys 'The Theory of Poker'
    Well then I wouldn't worry much about being a n00b.
    Stetsons and cigars?
    People off the intarweb.... black tshirts, scruffy hair (preferably long) and a vague smell of stale something. Though I am currently working on a kenny rogers beard. (Man, I need a shave)

Look for the guys talking trash about cards. Hear the words river/flop/bad beat etc and you'll know you've found us. It's usually quiet enough on a thursday evening and the downstairs of the place is not awful large and that's where we'll be.

Yeah I'll be there Greg. Might be a bit after 8 but no later then half.
    If you've finished The Theory of Poker, any chance of getting a loan of it, been meaning to buy it but wouldnt mind getting a look at it first.

DeV.
    ps: If you meet an oriental guy and he winks at you... he's one of the infamous Hong Kong Lady-Boys Show who are in town this week and like a hand of poker on their night off...

Yeah I'll be there Greg. Might be a bit after 8 but no later then half.
    If you've finished The Theory of Poker, any chance of getting a loan of it, been meaning to buy it but wouldnt mind getting a look at it first.

I wouldn't mind flipping through that book myself ... does anywhere in town actually have it in stock btw?

I owe LaFortezza a tenner (there you go, its your lucky night Luke!)

If I can make it I'll be in the Fireworks from 6:30 or 7 at latest to murder ^H^H^H^H play you guys at pool :):)

DeV.

Is anyone going to Fireworks for sure beforehand?

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭kencleary

I've found bookshops in Dublin to be rubbish when it comes to stocking poker books. The only ones I could find were a very basic one branded by that Channel Four Late Night Poker show and the other was an anecdotal book rather than a textbook. I'm afraid Amazon is the place to go for poker books.
    This book was recommended to me by a few people in Merrion & Fitzwilliam -
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1884466311/103-2620043-6739051?%5Fencoding=UTF8&coliid=IZSUELYSU893P&colid=1WZUV2DCY8F0P
    I've so far balked at the $40 price though.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by kencleary
    I've found bookshops in Dublin to be rubbish when it comes to stocking poker books. The only ones I could find were a very basic one branded by that Channel Four Late Night Poker show and the other was an anecdotal book rather than a textbook. I'm afraid Amazon is the place to go for poker books.
    This book was recommended to me by a few people in Merrion & Fitzwilliam -
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1884466311/103-2620043-6739051?%5Fencoding=UTF8&coliid=IZSUELYSU893P&colid=1WZUV2DCY8F0P
    I've so far balked at the $40 price though.

Also amazon.co.uk £11.44 sterling before delivery.

Is anyone going to Fireworks for sure beforehand?

I'll know later today, probably wont be along before 6:30 though.

DeV.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I have quite a few poker books I can offer on loan. Wont be there tonight though so I'd have to bring them next time. Heres the list of books:-

Theory of Poker - Sklansky
    Hold 'Em Poker - Sklansky
    Tournament Poker for Advanced Players - Sklansky
    The Complete Book of Hold 'Em Poker - Gary Carson

Also some non educational:-

Positively Fifth Street: Murderers, Cheetahs, and Binion's World Series of Poker - James Mcmanus
    Big Deal: One Year as a Professional Poker Player - Anthony Holden

I've also got the book that was released at the same time as Late Night poker. Can't remember the name though.

Finally, Dev you might be interested in this one which is not poker related:-

Masters of Doom: How Two Guys Created an Empire and Transformed Pop Culture (or the story of John Carmack & John Romero) - classic book.

Late returns are penalised at 50 cent a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I've been reading Phil Hellmuth's Play Poker like the Pros.

So far it hasn't worked. :rolleyes:
    It's got some useful information/tips, but overall, i'd have to say it's been a dissapointment.

I'll definitely pick up Sklanksy or Brunsons book, but as mentioned above, they're impossible to pick up over here, and they aren't cheap on Amazon..

Brunson's Super System is in Hodges Figis.
    I have seen some people speculate that Hellmuth might have wanted to ill-advise rather than advise in his book so I've no interest.
    I quite fancy getting Caro's Book of Tells.

I'll be in Fireworks from 6 tonight.

Anyone care to bet on some pool??

All In!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Whers Fireworks?? (Sorry) But I might be in town later myself!!

I'll be in Fireworks from 6 tonight.
    Anyone care to bet on some pool??
    All In!
    DeV.
    I might call in before heading to the Grattan for 8, I'll gladly take your money...
    ¦
    V

...again

oh oooooh... right. That tenner I owe you... Best of 7 games.... I'm gonna school you.

*DeVore does a little dance of anticipation*

DeV.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Hobart
    Whers Fireworks?? (Sorry) But I might be in town later myself!!

Its on the corner of Pearse St and the street that has McTurcails pub on it. (It use to be a firestation... hence the name). Walk from Pearse St Cop Shop towards the back of Trinity and its about 100 metres along on your left.

DeV.

Advertisement