Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

eircom league

• 04-03-2004 9:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

league due to commence week ending 21st March, still no fixture list published, what's going on? 21 first division licences and 1 premier licence awarded, is there going to be a Premier League / First Division format this season or just a 22 team league? anyone know?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

I don't think they know themselves. I think the clubs that didn't get a Premier licence but that are in the top division will be allowed to play in the Premier Division for something like a season before having to upgrade their grounds to the proper standard. I think the FAI are holding out on the fixtures until an appeal is heard for Limerick to get a licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

Limerick FC got theirs awarded last night, according to fai website, still no sign of a fixtures list though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Yerac

Fixtures are due out today (maybe), format will be the same, 10 team premier, 12 team first division.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

got this for FAI this morning, fixture list might be a while yet...

"...Thanks for your mail.

To hopefully answer your question -

The clubs mandated the eircom League to seek an extension of the timeframe for the implementation of the licensing criteria - a move which would in effect allow the current structure of 10 and 12 (Prem and First respectively) to continue. The length of the derogation is likely not to exceed one year - i.e. purely for the 2004 season. After that, corresponding licenses will have to be obtained in order to compete in each respective division.

Therefore, at tonight's management committee meeting, it is intended that fixtures for a 10 team Premier and 12 team first division will be agreed.

On a different but related note, that structure (10 and 12) must receive the backing of two thirds of the clubs at the AGM on March 13th to be retained. If it does not, the divisions are likely to revert to 12 Prem and 10 First unless an alternate (or indeed a motion for 10 and 12
    again) is proposed and adopted.

I hope the above answers your query - I appreciate it probably seems a little confusing and there's a fair bit of info there, so if you need any clarification, you can call me on 01 7037548

All the best,

Andy..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

Originally posted by ambasite
    got this for FAI this morning, fixture list might be a while yet...

What made you think the FAI would know what's going on in the Irish league, they're only interested in the national team!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Surely as Derry City are the only team with an A licence... they should automatically be awarded the league title...

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭paddyduff

Which club got the Premier license? Anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Originally posted by paddyduff
    Which club got the Premier license? Anyone know?

Derry City !!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭paddyduff

What are the odds!?? It gets posted seconds in advance of me asking! Thanks.

Fair play to Derry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭watman

Eircom Fixtures have been announced.

Premier Division
    19 March: Cork City v Dublin City; St. Pat's v Derry City; Shelbourne v Shamrock Rovers; Waterford United v Drogheda

20 March: Longford Town v Bohemians

First Division

18 March: Dundalk v Sligo Rovers

19 March: Galway United v Kilkenny City; Athlone Town v Monaghan Utd; Bray Wanderers v UCD; Finn Harps v Cobh Ramblers

20 March: Kildare County v Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Athlone will have an A Licences in about 13 months =).
    Infact, we will have the most moderen stadium in all Ireland, and that includs Croke, if only a little smaller than croke..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭jerenaugrim

Full fixture list now available on foot.ie

Cork City for the league!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

im pretty confident my team galway utd will be in the premier league next season, so far we have signed
    Players In

Ryan Casey Cork City
    Derek O'Brien Sligo Rvrs
    Luther Watson Sligo Rvrs
    Luke Byrne Leeds Utd
    Seán Flannery Finn Harps
    Ronan Frawley Athlone Town
    Alan Gough Derry City
    Derek McCarthy Limerick
    Brendan Hughes Limerick

including our current team we should have at least a chance though we lost our best player to derry city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭jerenaugrim

It wd b good to have Galway back in the Premier. Ryan Casey is handy, he had a few good performances for us last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

ye casey looks good alright, but the jewell in the crown is surely derek mccarthy from limerick, very good player to replace alan murphy.Its just a shame i wont get to c them much now that im in dublin as only UCD and bray are the only games i can go too.So there my tip for the tilte.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I still can't believe you maanaged to rob Athlone of both Frawleys AND Fortune in the last few years!

Roany is getting a slap next time I see him, and I'm gonna slag Connor even more than normal!

Advertisement