Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Night's Dawn Trilogy

Options
  • 04-03-2004 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Has anyone ever this trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton?
    What did you think? Personally I thought they where a good, if very long, read but the ending just seemed very rushed. After all the effort of reading almost 3000 pages between the three books I think he could have come up a better ending. Anyone else got an opinion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Ive read it a couple of times. The Sci-fi horror space opera combination is great and the different cultures and technology are brilliantly thought out. The third book is a bit of a let down. The end whilst I wouldnt say it was rushed (it had been reffered to from the end of the first book) was deus ex machina in its purest form. I guess there was very few ways it could have ended and a happily ever after approach was probably better than any of the other possibilities that were explored in the book as a solution (most of which were pretty fatalist). Well worth a look though.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Really enjoyed it EXCEPT for the dreadful deus ex machina ending. He's got a new epic series in the works - Book 1 is just out in hardback. Apparently, it's as big as Night's Dawn trilogy was...

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭OmeGar

Well all i know is that he claims to fully plan out a novel from beginning to end before he sits down to write it, so i doubt it was rushed, however it is a good old fashioned Deus Ex Machina.

any idea what the title of that book is?

also go read his greg Mandell novels, and Misspent youth, both of which are excellent pieces of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

Have to agree with the other reviews on this. The end came very close to destroying the whole series for me as well. His other books are quite good as well though without the same scope

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

His new book is Pandora's Star and it's out NOW. Here's the synposis:
    'In AD 2329, humanity has colonised over four hundred planets, all of them interlinked by wormholes. With Earth at its centre, the Intersolar Commonwealth now occupies a sphere of space approximately four hundred light years across.

When an astronomer on the outermost world of Gralmond, observes a star 2000 light years distant - and then a neighbouring one - vanish, it is time for the Commonwealth to discover what happened to them. For what if their disappearance indicates some kind of galactic conflict? Since a conventional wormhole cannot be used to reach these vanished stars, for the first time humans need to build a faster-than-light starship, the Second Chance. But it arrives to find each 'vanished' star encased in a giant force field -- and within one of them resides a massive alien civilisation.'

.. The online reviews are saying it could be his greatest work yet so that's a recommendation!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Commissar

The Night's Dawn Trilogy are three of the best sci-fi books I've ever read. I couldn't recommend them highly enough.
    His Greg Mendal books are very good too.
    I hadn't heard about his new book Pandora's Star. I'llhave to check for it in Waterstones.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭OmeGar

oh he mentioned that at Mecon last year....thats the one with trains going through wormholes......it was a good description, am so going into Waterstones/hodges and figgis to find this in the morning.

thanks for the Heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

I'm about 150 pages through Pandor's Star and it has so far been build-up, build-up and some more build-up ... which isnt bad, but I wouldn't mind a little action sprinkled in. You just know that something VERY bad is going to happen to all the places / people that he has been describing in great detail though :D

Night's Dawn was an exellent series of books, the action in that book has to be read to be believed (if you see what I am trying to say) excpect that the end was poor in my opinion. The first book was very very good though. Hes second chance of eden is a good read - anyone who liked the Night Dawn should get that.

Fallen Dragon (I think thats its title) is another good book of his, with what I thought was a very good ending.

Hummmm can't wait to continue reading the book now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Excellent set of books definately should be read by all sci fi fans. The end was a little....... sudden i suppose but still it was a great series and it didnt detract from it all that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

would be nice if they could make it into a movie, but it'd probably take 9 or 12 movies :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

I have just finished reading pandoras star

Oh its very very good :)

loads + loads + loads (both in locations/alians/charators)

It has some quite clever twist and turns along the way as well

And once the action starts it does not dissapoint ... the only problem is, I have to wait so bloodly long for the next installment :(

ends on a right cliff hanger as well

so go and buy it !

ww)

Advertisement