Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpaid bills

Options
  • 04-03-2004 11:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

I have a question. One of the girls moved out of the house before christmas. She said to text her sister (she also lived in the house but was moving out too) to tell her the amount she owed off the ESB bill. When the bill came in the text's was sent and we assumed that she'd paid it. We recently got in the new bill and she hasn't paid it. The thing is the landlord is now sayin we have to pay the bill even though we told him to keep some of her deposit just in case, as she wasn't the most reliable tenant. Are we respondable for the bill? The LL isn't thru the books and the bill is in his son's name, also we just rent the rooms so their isn't an overall rent for the house.

Thanks in Advance

Ron:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Originally posted by Ronika
    I have a question. One of the girls moved out of the house before christmas. She said to text her sister (she also lived in the house but was moving out too) to tell her the amount she owed off the ESB bill. When the bill came in the text's was sent and we assumed that she'd paid it. We recently got in the new bill and she hasn't paid it. The thing is the landlord is now sayin we have to pay the bill even though we told him to keep some of her deposit just in case, as she wasn't the most reliable tenant. Are we respondable for the bill? The LL isn't thru the books and the bill is in his son's name, also we just rent the rooms so their isn't an overall rent for the house.
    Thanks in Advance
    Ron:)
    I assume you've tried getting in contact with the girl who left and her sister?? What did they say when you asked them about the bills?

Otherwise if the rent and landlord aren't "thru the books" and the bill is in his sons name then you're a a decent position to try to reason it out with him. Tell him the full story about the girl leaving, not staying in contact and not paying her share of the bill.
    Since the bill isn't in your name then your not directly responsible for it but if you and the rest of the people there don't pay the landlord might get nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Of course if the rent isn't going 'through the books' you could always hint that he could cover the ESB bill as a kind of 'rent relief'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Ronika

I have texted them about it a couple of time, the sister paid her part of the bill so we taught the other one would to. One of the housemates said they'll pay the money but I just feel that we shouldn't have to. I worked in a estate agents before and I know once the bill isnt in our names we're not directly responsible for it just once We have paid our share. Its not even the money side but the principal that's getting to me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Then ring the girl! If every one from the house gives her a buzz and tells her she owes a share of the bills then she will either pay up or tell you to stick it, either way you'll know where you stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You are not responsible to anyone for that portion of the bill. Make sure the landlord can't sting you when you move out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I presume you have this sorted by now but here's the deal:

If you rent your rooms individually, and each of you has your own 'contract' with the landlord, then you are not responsible for this person's bills.

If the landlord holds the deposit, then the landlord is responsible for not returning the deposit until ALL bills are paid.

If the landlord has returned the deposit, then he must pay the bills.

Happened to me, went to a solicitor, and thats how its done.

However, if you all moved in together and rented the house as a whole, then you are responsible for the bills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Ronika

Thats exactly what I thought and I said it to a couple of the other people but they decided to pay it so not to cause trouble. I told them that I wouldn't be paying any of it cause its not my bill and that they shouldn't either. As well as that i told him that if they pay then the Landlord WILL stick them paying any other unpaid bills.

I also talked to the LL and told him that I rented a room and paid my share of the bills so that everyting else had nothing what so ever to do with me, of course bein a lazy Sh*te he said he was havin nothin to do with it. I nicely told him that the bill was in his name and he in the end would be responsible for it.

Cant wait to find somewhere else to live
    :( :dunno:

Advertisement