Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A4 - Any problems?

Options
  • 04-03-2004 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

I'm looking to buy one of the A4 series, 99 or higher, 1.6 petrol, 1.8 petrol or the 1.9TD. Does anyone know of possible problems in these cars that I should look out for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

The timing belt needs to be replaced on the diesels around the 70k to 80k mark. Apart from that they seem to be pretty reliable.

And the 130bhp TDi's hold their value better.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 fre

I like the 1.9TD but I'd like to get back to a petrol car, what's the acceleration and fuel consumption like on the 1.9

the acceleration is ever so slightly slower on the diesel, but the economy is pretty good. there's some info on the various models here .

• Registered Users Posts: 44 fre

cheers aodh_rua!:)

No problem - I've been looking at getting one myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭caze

The 1.6 will do around 35 mpg. The 1.9Tdi will do around 50mpg. AFAIK 99 or 00 A4's have either the 90 or 110 BHP Tdi engines. Don't think the 130 BHP engine came until the newer model in 01.
    Another thing to note with the TDI's is that due to the engine layout you more or less have to dismantle the front of the car to change the timing belt leading to high labour charges (approx €500) so try to get one that has had a recent change. I'm not sure if the petrol ones have the same problem.

Earlier versions of this car also had problems with premature wear of suspension parts especially front control arms. Also check electric windows and central locking.

Main dealer servicing is pricy, if u can find a friendly local guy to do it the parts aren't actually that expensive.

If you get a good one you can look forward to many years hassle free driving
    Good Luck with your search!

Originally posted by caze
    The 1.6 will do around 35 mpg. The 1.9Tdi will do around 50mpg. AFAIK 99 or 00 A4's have either the 90 or 110 BHP Tdi engines. Don't think the 130 BHP engine came until the newer model in 01.

AFAIK the later old models were also available in the 130bhp TDi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

Main dealer servicing is pricy, if u can find a friendly local guy to do it the parts aren't actually that expensive

amen to that, robbing bastards, aside from that point they're a great car, i've been driving one for two years now absolutely hassle free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Would a high mileage one be a good buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I have a `00 1.9TDI (90BPH). Plenty fast enough for me. No real problems (had it a year) touch wood. If you have any Q's shout.

As for Servicing I had one done recently. Had oil/filter/air filter and a few other stuff done. cost 110 Euro.

• Advertisement
Advertisement