Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards a privilage not a right

• 20-02-2001 3:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭

Why is it that people keep shouting about "censorship" and free speech the whole time on these boards.

These boards are privately owned and privately run correct? albeit with some sponcership.

Yet people still insist on using the boards to mouth off crap. Posting complete crap , I mean really stupid stuff. And then they start complaining because it gets locked or deleted. they knew it was crap they were posting and that it would get banned.

Censorship as far as that goes. they admins are pretty open minded and don't push it either. unless it is really stupid tasteless or offencive.

Boards have been running fine for years and still continue to do so( aside from s few bugs in the code that keep popping up, one hack too many cloud? smile.gif ).

I've been reading the boards since about the time they first appeared. although I don't post a huge amount as you can see from the no of posts most of which are pretty recent. And the moderators have been doing a great job.

I suppose it is in the nature being human there are dick heads out there that will invariable screw things up for others.

slick.gif
    President, CEO, Revolutionary
    But also just a boy looking for the love of a beautiful woman

[This message has been edited by Lord Khan (edited 20-02-2001).]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

agreed

**** off pe0ns smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

True.

Actually, believe it or not, there's not a single hack applied to this UBB (yet!).

John.
    --

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

No Hacks, but numerous "upgrades" eh John? biggrin.gif

Anyway, well said LK - what's that thing about hammers and nails and heads?

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Prepare yourself - The Beefy King stirs from his slumber...</font>

[This message has been edited by Kharn (edited 20-02-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

I think the boards are well maintained and censored, but you'll always get those few idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Lord Khan

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kento-Shiro:
    I think the boards are well maintained and censored, but you'll always get those few idiots.

</font>
    exactly and I'd happily take care of them ... for a nominal fee of course.

btw what is the correct code for putting sig img in your sig? [IMG][/IMG] only works if you re-edit cause it's then part of the post

• Advertisement

The images in sigs feature has been removed due to popular request.

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Prepare yourself - The Beefy King stirs from his slumber...</font>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Mine still works.

sig.JPG

That's cause you're spesal.. eek.gif

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Please Castor, don't confuse them ;-)

button.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

LOL yea'd start off some crap with people you saing yours still works smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

In my opinion, the people who go on about the censorship(moaning about it that is) on the boards, are usually the ones who post nothing but crap...

MONTY.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Aahh the majority of people who post to the boards know the line and for those who dont or for those occasional absolutely pointless conversations theres the Trolls board (the main reason for setting it up surely?) and I personally think the addition of that means everyone has thier own place and boards now to voice their opinions on smile.gif

As long as all the moderators know where the line is as well then i dont see any problem at all and hopefully boards.ie can continue its growth..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Lucy_la_morte

Isn't there a troll board where all speech is free? Some real crap on there. No visable moderators for it either, cept the overall rulers of the boards.ie galaxy.

[Edit]Oops just noticed the post above *slaps head* helps to read every post some times[/Edit]

J'ai dormi sous l'eau.

Lucy la morte.

[This message has been edited by Lucy_la_morte (edited 22-02-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Aint it a bit late for u to be postin at 4 in the morning ???

What about yourself? smile.gif

J'ai dormi sous l'eau.

Lucy la morte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

oooh jesus christ will you two get a room

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

LOL, well said Baz.

Baz_, can you stop copying Sico then? (He posted a similar response before you in the cadburys creme egg post) tongue.gif

Besides you were 4 days late, that 'conversation' actually stopped when a little soul went to bed.

J'ai dormi sous l'eau.

Lucy la morte.

[This message has been edited by Lucy_la_morte (edited 28-02-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Lord Khan

Lucy stop replying.
    Like previously people have said ... there are places for conversations. this thread wasn't for people to be having a go at each other.

this message has lost any crediblity it had by now.

slick.gif
    <B>President, CEO, Revolutionary</B>
    But also just a boy looking for the love of a beautiful woman

[This message has been edited by Lord Khan (edited 28-02-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Yeah well I don't care, cos I'm watchin you two, just consider me the room patrol person, now carry on, nothing to see here...

Lord Khan = Hypocrite.

Okay you tell me to stop replying, erm what exactly did you do? Replied to my post.. There is a place for conversations apparantly, why don't you show me a good example.

Perhaps you and a few others could grow up and stop challenging me simply because i'm new/female/young (delete as applicable).

J'ai dormi sous l'eau.

Lucy la morte.

[This message has been edited by Lucy_la_morte (edited 03-03-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

LUCY
    quit it, as I said before if you want to talk off topic to anyone. E-mail them or use IRC or whatever the next time you post an attempt at starting a flame it will be deleted

[This message has been edited by Monty - the one and only (edited 08-03-2001).]

Just wondering why no one demonstrates this as an example. Especially yourself Monty, if you have a problem with a member of the boards then perhaps you should e-mail or privately contact them away from the boards rather than posting the issue in public with the person.

Still awaiting a good example of this.

I don't intend to be awkward but when rules are set, i'd prefere to be led my example, if others don't follow the rules then one could be encouraged to follow down the wrong route.

J'ai dormi sous l'eau.

Lucy la morte.

[This message has been edited by Lucy_la_morte (edited 09-03-2001).]

Advertisement