Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quake 3 pro are primaddonnas?

Options
  • 16-03-2001 6:18pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Something I read on Quake.ie annoyed me and then made me sit and think about the different reasons people play quake.
    Reputation seemed to be a big one. "I dont want to play without my own mouse because someone might beat me who shouldnt!". Ok, fair enough I can understand that. However basically staging a strike because the CPL wasnt going to be run that way is the attitude that is killing Quake 3.

It used to be fun, now its all about who wins. nD and Spin played recently and there wasnt ONE bit of bitterness in the game even though we lost. It had been tense, close but the better side won. I'd lose like that a hundred times because they are MY MATES.

Some people have forgotten that.

quote from e-sports.com
    http://www.esports-america.com/articles.phtml?id=61119&language=en&page=3

All things considered, Quake 3 players really have nothing to complain about. It is their fault that the game has been deteriorating to the point it is at now, not the CPL's (or anybody else's). The CPL has done a great job in providing many lans for Quake 3 fans, and the majority of the Quake 3 players seem to just whine and complain about how bad certain things are. Quake 3 players killed their own game by not appreciating what others do for them, and by only looking at the game for its worth in money to them.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">It has been a great run for the game, with some really big events staged over the past year and a half. With Quake 3’s best players all barking at the CPL for poorly run events, or other things out of their hands, how can these same players come crying back when the CPL made a good move and went to a more popular game? </font>

DeVore.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Otaku X

I dont follow much of the CPL events or community stuff, but its interesting to see how CS originaly a mod, has surpased the mighty Q3 in popularity soo much that it has been replaced as the Headliner at this years cpl main event. Even online the number of CS servers is astounding, almost double that of Q3 and Q3TeamArena.
    Therefore I think its time for "id software" to rise up to the challenge and create a new genre of online play and once again claim their rightful place on the throne of multiplayer gaming.

(edited by OtaI<u-X 16/03/01 11.00pm GMT)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

I agree with you there Dev. A few l33tors started putting down Quake3 the minute it came out, the fashionable thing has been to say you don't enjoy playing Quake3, but you play it for money, events, winning etc.. it's a load of horse-shyte, and has created a big anti-quake3 attitude leading to more of an internal breakdown then anything else.

Sure look at this celtic tiger waffle crap, you hear them harking on about the economy all evening on the news, I keep hearing this Ireland is an e-commerce hub etc... when the fact is we've got a telecommunications infrastructure similar to a ****in eastern european country.

If enough bad publicity gets out, people start believing it, and companies like the CPL move over to other things. Likewise if people started to look at Quake3 positively it would just only get better n better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Thats coz its ****e mike :P
    Q2 FOREVER!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Zero

its basically this - quake3 is sh!te, ppl play it for 4 reasons:
    1) money, for those who are good enuff
    2) ex-qw/ex-q2 players who felt they had to move on even if they didnt like q3.
    3) ex-qw/ex-q2 players who are hanging on for a game that even comes close to matching qw.
    4) newbies who dont know any better.

games like cs and starcraft (which I have been playing lots of, forgot how great it is) are actually fun, q3 is good if you win, bad if you lose, but even after playing it, a duel or whatever, it's still all "kfff" stress while you try and win. I kinda like q3, but not really, when you go and play something like SC for a bit, you realize that computer games are sposed to be fun, even if sonic throws 60 mutalisks at your base while you are busy busting gman.
    Those other games are more popular because they are simply more fun, Q3 isnt a fun game, its a professional gamer's game, and 99% of the players are amateurs trying to be good at it.
    The CPL are right to go with CS, I would if I was the man behind it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭Guinnessman

haha you wish

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Fun - I've been going hoarse about it ever since UT and Q3 were out at the same time. I'll never be at a CPL event competing so while I spend my bucks on online I'd better be having fun. For me it's UTCTF, for others it's CS (boring!!!) etc. etc.
    I think Q3 really loses out in it's lack of good teamplay gaming. Q3Arena has tried to address it and I don't know if it succeeded seeing as I uninstalled Q3 about 2 weeks after it came out but CS has exceptional TP (even if it's BORING!!!!) as does UTCTF.
    Fair dues to the CPL for all they've done but for too long it's been Quake, quake, quake. What's challenge.ie about? gaming? no Quake gaming. Why didn't the CPL have a spread of games covering RTS gaming, UT, Quake, CS and divide the prize money? How should I know I've lost interest in this post already.

M (another rare visit to the quake forum ends in disaster)

Advertisement