Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Lindows o/s 4.5 today only 04/03/2004

• 04-03-2004 3:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Hi

Today only you can download Lindows O/S 4.5 for free

This is a retail copy of a Linux operating system.
    Google are paying for any one wants to buy it today only.
    It costs $50 for the digital download but google are paying for it today only.

The download would take about 20hours on 56K or 2-3 hours on a good ADSL connection. (circa 500 MB)

http://info.lindows.com/GoogleOffer/

Eóin

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

AARRGGHH, Half a gig, :eek:

I think I'll pass on this one Eoin a bit too much for my 56k conn, but thanks all the same. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

hehe half a gig with 56k
    better set up the tent,you'd b there for a while ;p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Great link! Nice lease link at work ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Waiting for your download to start.
    You are number 73 in line
    This window will refresh periodically to show you your new position in line.
    When you are shown the download links, you will have 30 minutes to start your download before you forfeit your opportunity and are placed in line again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

ah another free one. they gave Deviantart a similar offer before. Still very nice indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Anyone who "buys" this but cant download due to not having broadband should check out my post in File Sharing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Zion

What is "LindowsOS (Coho) 4.5 Upgrade CD" on the download page? Do I have to download it as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I'm guessing thats just an upgrade from a previous version... Why they'd put it on a seperate disk, though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

number 133 in line :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

You can just download this later once you've registered yeah?

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure yeah. I have getright and have downloaded a couple of megs so far but I'm gona pause the download and try again later or tommorow morning. The download speeds are slow at the mo

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭squishey

Theres a bittorrent link as well, no waiting in line for that! am getting bout 150kb - 180kb at the moment ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Isnt Lindows supposed to be pap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

yeh after wasting 500megs of my cap on that OS i need to vent my anger;p
    its like a retarded windows 95,except worse
    wheres the unix terminal?
    ever hear of a little thing called ssh?no?i though not
    DO NOT DOWNLOAD

windows 95 :dunno:

I have the file but I havent bothered installing it yet, not to sure I want to now :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Originally posted by ando
    windows 95 :dunno:

I have the file but I havent bothered installing it yet, not to sure I want to now :eek:

Don't! I got this on a similar free offer they had before, it was on osnews.com. Anyway, I got the live demo type iso and the Professional install iso. The demo looked pretty good so I instlled pro on an old PC that was lying around. I removed it very soon afterwards. It has absolutely no software included with it, they expect you to pay for this click-n-run warehouse, which is just all the usual free Linux apps, just in one location.
    Don't waste your time with this, get a propper debian/mandrake/red hat or whatever instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Libranet or Xandros are about the tow nearest equivalents that spring to mind.

I use libranet at home and its excellent overall. They have a similar software repository but they don't charge you for the privelige of using it.

Well worth a look if you're moving to a better OS.

Advertisement