Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 gig boot boundary

Options
  • 04-03-2004 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭

This is something I have never encountered before. I am presently dual booting win XP and win2k advanced server. XP is installed on a 3 gig boot partition, however within windows only 2 gigs of this is shown and usable. I had forgotten the actual size of the partition until I ran partition magic to try to expand it. Partition magic showed the partition to be 3 gigs, but mentioned something about a 2 gig boot boundary. Unfortunately the help file was typically unhelpful, so I was wondering what this is about and is there any way to make full use of the 3 gig partition. 2 gig is no where near large enough for xp, and I have been struggling to keep my free space about 80megs for a few months now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Is this partition at the front of the disk? I know there is something that you have to install versions of Windows before a certain cylinder number so that they will be bootable...

Bollox to that. I recently installed Server2003 on an NTFS partition behind a 30GB FAT32 partition, an it worked first time. Not only that, but the sodding thing placed its bootloader behind LILO and encapsulated WindowsXP in it as well. Now whenever I select either Windows Serevr or XP in LILO I'm brought to the Windows bootloader and have to make the selection all over again.

In short, if you set up a logical partiton, you should have no bother installing Windows to it.

BTW, you are setting it up as a second (or third) OS, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Yes the partition is at the start of the drive. I amnt setting the drive up, it has been partitioned as it is now for the last 2 years, i just plain forgot i had partitioned the c: drive to be 3 gig. I'm just looking to make full use of that 3 gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

There can be a couple of reasons, but normally the 2GB boundary applies to DOS/FAT partitions. Can you post a screenie of Partition Magic?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Have a check if it's FAT16 ..

IIRC FAT16 on Dos / Win95(early versions) only went up to 2GB - BUT NT could go up to 4GB with FAT16 - but the other OS's wouldn't be able to read it.

There is also a limit of 1024 cylinders for some boot thingy PM might display that.

Here's a screen grab from partition magic, as you can see all my partitions are FAT 32.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Very odd indeed. By any chance, have you had ParitionMagic run a check on the partition (right-click -> Check for Errors)? Chances are that you might have to do it from the rescue floppies. Could you move your E: up to fill the space after it, and try resizing the extended partition, then resize the C: to fill the space? Might fix whatever's wrong with it.

On a seperate note I was surprised to see that Symantec have taken over PowerQuest.

That 300meg unused space was actually a part of the e: drive which i tried to move over to c:, but unfortunately PM didnt like how i went about it. Havent gotten around to give it another go. I'll give the error check a try though.

Advertisement