Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Explorer 6 Hangs

Options
  • 04-03-2004 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭

I Have upgraded internet explorer to ver 6 from windows update,
    Now Sometimes it takes 30 seconds to a minute to open some sites that it would open in an instant before, it seems to hang then just opens at once, this happens for 25% of all web pages now, I have uninstalled ver 6 but it still happens.

Thanks cranoo

ps I an running win98se
    with a broadband connection

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Run adaware and an antivirus check on your machine.

Always first port of call when your inet connection starts going funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭cranoo

I ran SpyBot and an online Antivirus Check :confused: nothing

cranoo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Hmm... Just because you uninstalled IE6 doesn't mean that all the changes it made to your dll files have been changed. Its quite possible that your current version is still using the IE6 dlls.

What OS are you using? If you do a System Restore to before you installed IE6 does it make it any faster?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Have ya installed IE6 SP1..

IE6 on its own is full of bugs..

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Why not try downloading Mozilla, Firefox, Netscape or Opera (this is not advocacy!) to see if it's they run okay, and then you'll know for sure whether or not it's actually IE that's causing the problem itself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Originally posted by ToxicPaddy
    Have ya installed IE6 SP1..

IE6 on its own is full of bugs..

Tox

SP1 is full of bugs as well, M$ are not putting enough effort into protecting the average joe-soap who havent a clue about spyware/diallers infecting their browsers.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Brian give it a rest already you'll just get yerself banned.

cranoo, you should follow dun_do_bheal's advice and try another browser and see if it happens with that.

The fact that it hangs and then suddenly appears looks like there's a problem with IE trying to interpret the HTML. IE is pretty hard to uninstall from win98 on as it's pretty much integrated into explorer itself.

Run the setup again and select the repair option. Long shot but it might work.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭slartibardfast

If I faced the same trouble as you, and I had to use IE for some propose I would

1. Run 'sfc /scannow' and allow it to replace any screwed up files.
    Possibly reinstalling IE after it runs
    If/when this fails:
    2. Do an upgrade of windows 98, (Reinstall in the same dir...)
    3. Reinstall IE6sp1

It usually fixes the stranger problems I encounter with folks' computers, oh if your unsure of your systems general stability get Prime95 24h+ of it's stability test really rules out hardware problem etc.

Good Luck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Thread split AGAIN, crap moved here. Well done to OfflerCrocGod for proving my point, and the prize is a shiny new week long ban!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭cranoo

I got Mozilla Firefox, Bollo To IE6:)

cranoo

• Advertisement
Advertisement